forum

Mines/bombs

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +14
Topic Starter
Bonsai
Hi-ho! 🐸 To my surprise, I haven't found a single topic about a gameplay-element that is featured in a few rhythm games that osu! is simulating: Mines (or sometimes called bombs) are placed like regular hitobjects in a map, but punish the player for hitting them. For examples in other games, see: Stepmania, Taiko no Tatsujin DS

A gameplay-element like this could be used in osu!mania, osu!catch and osu!taiko, causing the player to respectively lose score and/or break combo whenever they are being hit, having hitwindows just like the regular single-hit-objects.
While being an overall nice addition to mapping, it could also prevent maps with simple rhythmic structures from being cheesed like this and thus make simple yet interesting mapping concepts like this viable (which it's currently not bc it can be cheesed by just constanly hitting 1/2-Kats without punishment). Whatcha think?
Xinnoh
I really like the idea but it would be so easy just to skin it to be invisible in taiko/mania, needs to be skinnable since it's an important gameplay element
abraker
For standard, those can be mapped areas where the cursor should avoid, however I can only imagine such being used on lower star maps where you don't have high AR and the cursor flying everywhere. Possibly make maze type maps or a multiple choice storyboarded map by hiding the area behind hitcircles. It will be interesting how mappers will use this mechanic. Ofc the examples provided focus on creativity, not rankability.
_Meep_
We could make it un-skinnable I guess, like only have certain presets of bomb skins allowed in the options rather than allow them to be skinnable, although that may conflict with the sort of skin the player is using
Pachiru
Pretty cool for taikk and mania, or even CTB, but I don't think it's worth to have it in STD :(
Kaneki Houtarou
For me, the mod that adds these "bombs"" would be a better idea.