forum

Am I only one who thinks Coulrophobia is a ridiculous fear?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
How could anyone be scared of what is essentially a comedian?

It has made zero sense to me my entire life.
Green Platinum
Because phobias are irrational by definition
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Green Platinum wrote:

Because phobias are irrational by definition
Some are rational.

Like it's good to be scared of spiders, because more often than not, they are poisonous. It takes an entomologist to know which are safe and which are not.

It's normal to have a fear of heights, cause falling from a high place can mean injury or death.

It's somewhat normal to be afraid of the dark, cause we aren't adapted to see in those conditions, and are quite vulnerable in the night or in total darkness.

Having a fear of fire is normal because it is (arguably) the most destructive force on the planet.

There's plenty of counter examples to that claim.
Green Platinum
Except people with these phobias act erratically when their fear doesn't even present a threat. Fear of heights for example often leads people to have difficulty climbing step-ladders or standing on tables.

You are confusing appropriate levels of caution with fear for a lot of these.
E m i

Green Platinum wrote:

Except people with these phobias act erratically when their fear doesn't even present a threat. Fear of heights for example often leads people to have difficulty climbing step-ladders or standing on tables.

You are confusing appropriate levels of caution with fear for a lot of these.
rational vs semi-rational vs irrational then?
johnmedina999
Why are you judging coulrophobic people? Why are you pointing people out? What did they do to you?

The reason you're surrounded by assholes is because you are one yourself.
E m i

johnmedina999 wrote:

Why are you judging coulrophobic people? Why are you pointing people out? What did they do to you?

well this is a joke right? if i say (dumb example) that I don't understand my weird extreme physical reaction to thinking about romantic stuff, like feeling my heart is sinking to the bottom of my body, or the feeling of electricity intensely shooting through my insides, it's ridiculous, makes zero sense to me... (as in this physical reaction should be a bit weaker at least...)

I am judging myself 0% and pointing myself out 0%.

It's a substanceless thought (most importantly, about the condition and about 0 people because it involves 0 people - people can merely have the condition)

either joke, or you're trying to provoke her by using the shittiest out of all possible reasons to justify this:

johnmedina999 wrote:

or you actually interpreted intentions out of thin air lol

I don't mind or know, just wondering which one of those three or maybe something else. Maybe interpretting intentions out of thin air isn't that bad and I'm just unusually opposed to it. Never said I know anything
abraker
Suppose a child who is learning and open to the world. The child is used to nice fluffy, colorful things. Then the child is presented with this strange being, That being has colorful hair, an uncanny face, moves all weirdly- overall not normal. A child would feel happy when child sees smile, and child would feel sad when child sees frown, but what would a child feel when seen something equivalent to this? The natural instinct, much like the documented science of the human response to avoid things like in that link, is to fear and avoid. Though all experiences are different, so not all children become afraid of clowns, but those who do would likely experience as described.

Warning: the link is meant to simulate the same uncanny fear as the described child's uncanny fear to clowns in the writing. Open link at your discretion.
johnmedina999
I'm not sure if you took it that I was talking to you (I wasn't, you're actually really nice), but I'll respond anyway.

Momi wrote:

well this is a joke right? if i say (dumb example) that I don't understand my weird extreme physical reaction to thinking about romantic stuff, like feeling my heart is sinking to the bottom of my body, or the feeling of electricity intensely shooting through my insides, it's ridiculous, makes zero sense to me... (as in this physical reaction should be a bit weaker at least...)

I am judging myself 0% and pointing myself out 0%.

It's a substanceless thought (most importantly, about the condition and about 0 people because it involves 0 people - people can merely have the condition)
The example you gave had you not understand your feelings and reactions to things, and that's perfectly OK (albeit unhealthy in large doses). The OP, however, was pointing out other people that have the condition. If someone is coulrophobic then it's none of her (?) business to be involved in that. The language of the post also made it sound as if being coulrophobic is ridiculous or some kind of joke, which is just wrong:
How could anyone be scared of what is essentially a comedian?
although I might be overreacting to it.

It wasn't my business to interrupt the flow of the thread either, and to that, I apologize, AsrielDr33murr and Momi.
Aurani
The fuck is uncanny there? I'm sure only people with that specific phobia think of it as something disturbing. I personally want to fill it up with a cement-like fluid. Guess I'm weird like that.
E m i

johnmedina999 wrote:

I'm not sure if you took it that I was talking to you (I wasn't, you're actually really nice), but I'll respond anyway.
if i seemed like i took it that way then i must be dumb because i didn't

also i think it's possible to say a condition is weird without thinking it's bad or the people are weird... just unusual stuff can happen, doesn't need to be bad

oh and sorry if i seemed like i was assuming your intentions i just tried to list out all possibilities i could think of
clover
but that's the point of phobias
HyperDeath99_old
i have 1 question whats coulrophobia
clover

HyperDeath99 wrote:

fear of clowns
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

johnmedina999 wrote:

I'm not judging the people. I'm just stating that the fear itself is ridiculous
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

HyperDeath99 wrote:

There's this cool book called the dictionary. Pick one up at your local bookstore
HyperDeath99_old
cant be bothered getting a dictionary just wanna play osu and talk in the forums
Meah
yes
abraker

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

Pick one up at your local bookstore
Hi, you must be from the 20th century. Let me introduce you to this new thing called the World Wide Web
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

abraker wrote:

Suppose a child who is learning and open to the world. The child is used to nice fluffy, colorful things. Then the child is presented with this strange being, That being has colorful hair, an uncanny face, moves all weirdly- overall not normal. A child would feel happy when child sees smile, and child would feel sad when child sees frown, but what would a child feel when seen something equivalent to this? The natural instinct, much like the documented science of the human response to avoid things like in that link, is to fear and avoid. Though all experiences are different, so not all children become afraid of clowns, but those who do would likely experience as described.

Warning: the link is meant to simulate the same uncanny fear as the described child's uncanny fear to clowns in the writing. Open link at your discretion.

Photoshop doesn’t scare me.

And I guess it depends on the kid, I know some friends who were scared to death while I was sitting there laughing at his antics.
GSG95
Well yeah, it's not unusual for phobias to be ridiculous. I mean, that's kinda they're shtick.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

GSG95 wrote:

Well yeah, it's not unusual for phobias to be ridiculous. I mean, that's kinda they're shtick.
Lol spelling error
Dawns
/thread
ColdTooth
There's a phobia for being clean.
There's a phobia for water.
There's a phobia for frogs.
There's a phobia for chemicals.
There's a phobia for colors.
There's a phobia for making decisions.
There's a phobia for balloons.
There's a phobia for women.
There's a phobia for sleeping.
There's a phobia for cooking.
There's a phobia for dreaming.
There's a phobia for social interaction.
There's a phobia for standing.
There's a phobia for dying.

Infact, anything you think of, there is a phobia for. I too would be fucking scared of a clown if they came at me during the clown attacks, infact, one actually happened around here, because I heard like two shotgun blasts one night, and the next morning it was a guy dressed as a clown breaking into someone's house.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

ColdTooth wrote:

There's a phobia for being clean.
There's a phobia for water.
There's a phobia for frogs.
There's a phobia for chemicals.
There's a phobia for colors.
There's a phobia for making decisions.
There's a phobia for balloons.
There's a phobia for women.
There's a phobia for sleeping.
There's a phobia for cooking.
There's a phobia for dreaming.
There's a phobia for social interaction.
There's a phobia for standing.
There's a phobia for dying.

Infact, anything you think of, there is a phobia for. I too would be fucking scared of a clown if they came at me during the clown attacks, infact, one actually happened around here, because I heard like two shotgun blasts one night, and the next morning it was a guy dressed as a clown breaking into someone's house.
“Clown attacks?” Usually people don’t get hurt in those, it’s just the media sensationalizing.

In my junior year of high school, in September, I heard that clowns were gonna shoot up the school. Days went by, then weeks, and no clowns ever even came, let alone shoot up the school.

The same thing happened multiple times throughout the year, each time, dumbass sheep fell for it.

What you hear in the news is the MAJORITY not the MINORITY.

So shooting someone just cause they are dresssed as a clown is fucked up man. You need serious help.

Side note: can’t wait to see what you will do for your 1000th post
ColdTooth

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

So shooting someone just cause they are dresssed as a clown is fucked up man. You need serious help.
Yeah, I obviously need mental help if a clown is going to break into my home with a machete, or worse, a fucking pistol.
Achromalia

ColdTooth wrote:

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

Yeah, I obviously need mental help if a clown is going to break into my home with a machete, or worse, a fucking pistol.
Or you could both put in some context to say that unless a clown is doing something fucked up like breaking into your home, attempting to rape you, or fucking kidnapping your child, or all three, you shouldn't be shooting clowns just because of what they wear or how they look or some shit.

(note: this applies to pretty much anyone -- pony cosplay, furry cosplay, homosexuals, or just any human being-- even any living being in general.)
roshan117
you guys have been arguing about stupid clowns and phobias for almost 2 days

let that sink in
Achromalia
I just popped into the conversation but thanks

also yeah, the hostility between a lot of you is not really needed.

use context and critical thinking, and we should be fine. We'll have an easier time debating things civilly.

well, it wasn't that bad this time, so I guess that's good.
show more