forum

More consistent spin on spunout mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
show more
mm201
Use the magic of math to compute a spin rate that causes the drain bar to stay put.
Gabi
let it have the same spin rate as auto?

Why doesn't it have higher spin rate? IIRC it used to spin at 477
ampzz

Gaba wrote:

those wrote:

You're not looking for a more consistent spin. Consistently 286 is consistent.
You're looking for a faster spin.
Uh, that was a pretty dumb reply. If i'm asking for a faster spin, that means he is not consistent enough, at least for hr training.
Please do not just try to belittle somebody when you do not know the correct terminology that you're talking about.

The spinner ( in Spun Out mode ) is spun at a consistent rate of 286 spins per minute, it does not increase nor decrease throughout the length of spin time.
That is knows as the consistency where it will do the same thing each and every time.

What you are after is for that rather low spin rate (a bit silly when you compare the auto spin speed to be at maximum of 477) to be ramped up to at least 350 spins per minute or more.

TL;DR version: The spinner is consistent as is since it holds 286 spins per minute each and every time a spinner occurs after initial wind-up.
YodaSnipe
^this.

Why is it not 477 out of curiosity?
Topic Starter
Gaba

ampzz wrote:

The spinner ( in Spun Out mode ) is spun at a consistent rate of 286 spins per minute, it does not increase nor decrease throughout the length of spin time.
That is knows as the consistency where it will do the same thing each and every time.

What you are after is for that rather low spin rate (a bit silly when you compare the auto spin speed to be at maximum of 477) to be ramped up to at least 350 spins per minute or more.

TL;DR version: The spinner is consistent as is since it holds 286 spins per minute each and every time a spinner occurs after initial wind-up.
So be it. But as you said, it's silly that the spun-out has to spin at 286 when the auto does it at 477.
bwross
It's not so silly... the two mods have different designed goals. Auto is designed to show a perfect play, so maxing the spinner out is most appropriate.

Spun-out just wants to complete the spinners... it's not there to make the rest of the map easier for you by giving you spins at the top rate, it wants to give you something closer to giving you the spinners completed in a mediocre, average player way, so that you don't get the meter cranked up for free every spinner. And with high drain, that means that you have to deal with the health you lose, but that's the penalty you pay for not having to spin at all... you get weak spins instead. (Actually, it might be interesting if spinning was optional with Spun-out... take the 286 on spinners you don't want to do by keeping your hands off, but you still can hold down a button and do the spinning yourself if you want to. Which would be a way of addressing the issue in this thread.)

Calculating a balanced rate spinner is a different design choice... instead of pretending that you spun an average spinner, it essentially tries to present the map as if the spinners don't exist (well, except for scoring). Both are valid approaches, but they aim for slightly different goals.
Wishy
Use No Fail.
Soaprman
Practice without spun out? Unless you're obsessed with your playcount I don't see a reason to use spun out for practice...
mochi
Your argument is that the slow spin from spunout sometimes causes fail with HR. Turn on no fail then.
fabriciorby
spun out fucks with our hp when playing with hard rock and no fail fucks with our score, sometimes spun out gets 100, why don't increase spun out's speed?
those
What's wrong with just taking your -NoFail score and doubling it at the end?
mochi
Why would you care about score if you're playing spunout?
Mercurial

mochi wrote:

Why would you care about score if you're playing spunout?
^

I don't support it.
palion
if this isn't passed there should be a way just to play unranked yet stay online
Sakura

palion wrote:

if this isn't passed there should be a way just to play unranked yet stay online
iirc that's never gonna happen since peppy doesnt support practice modes.
Wishy
Then why does Spun Out even exist? And why can you play as a guest?
Suimya
i support this o.o
those
Here's how I propose the change is made.

Turning on Spun Out will make the game spin the spinner on its own, at the slowest possible rpm to both:
1. Stop drain from going down
2. Pass the spinner.

Since HR increases drain by an amount, Spun Out will then change the rpm of the spin by x amount in order to maintain the hp bar from draining faster.
Topic Starter
Gaba

those wrote:

Here's how I propose the change is made.

Turning on Spun Out will make the game spin the spinner on its own, at the slowest possible rpm to both:
1. Stop drain from going down
2. Pass the spinner.

Since HR increases drain by an amount, Spun Out will then change the rpm of the spin by x amount in order to maintain the hp bar from draining faster.
Great idea.
Wishy
Remove this retarded mod already.
bwross

Wishy22 wrote:

Remove this retarded mod already.
Nah, Spunout was more useful than Autopilot when I was playing without my right hand because of a broken finger. Autopilot follows the design philosophy of Relax, which was simply not what I was looking for... I wanted the ability to fail and to see combo count and the meter during play. I was looking for was more serious play, and Spunout filled in for my very inconsistent offhand spinning allowing me to play a lot more maps than I'd be able to otherwise.

Personally, I'd rather have all three (ie Relax, Autopliot, and Spunout) be serious play modes, and certainly not be coddling with assumed No Fail (on the first two) or changing to a drain balanced spin Spunout. I could see possibly having a slightly higher spin rate when using HR, but, really, the suggestion to use No Fail works just fine.
Wishy
If you don't want to spin don't do it and get the miss, or just use no fail if spinners make you fail. Only real use for this mod nowadays is to hide your playcounts or cheat flashlight saying "lol I played this 3000 times but spun out XD". Or just make it ranked, it isn't like this mod is actually helpful by any means since it spins at slowpoke speed and some maps are even impossible to clear with this stupid mod.
bwross
Not spinning wasn't a valid option... playing offhand, the drain from no spin and the hit from the miss would be too brutal, the rest of the map was more than enough challenge. And since Autopilot wasn't a valid choice exactly because it includes No Fail, why would No Fail be a valid option?. Spunout is the best option and was helpful to me even with the slow spin rate... still challenging, but covering me enough that I could play a much greater range of maps than without it.

Now you don't have to make it ranked... if hiding play counts is such a big threat, then that can be solved by just counting the unranked plays. Cheating flashlight that way certainly shouldn't work.... just because you can't see the count doesn't mean that the powers that be can't confirm how many Spunout plays were made on the server side. You'd be slightly better off claiming that you made those 3000 plays offline after which your computer crashed and you needed to reinstall everything from scratch. Personally, I wouldn't have given any score bonus at all to flashlight... because that's the real issue there (the problem is the problem, dragging it around as a strawman doesn't actually make more problems, it just points out reasons why the original problem is a problem).
ziin
open the map in editor and delete the spinners.
Topic Starter
Gaba
Seriously, you guys are just pushing the topic to the wrong direction. If you want to remove a feature, then create a new thread about it.
Hamuko
I support this, dear sir.