forum

How to make a big Spacebar note image for 5K?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SectorJack
How do I make a big "Space" skin for 5K like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts0_TcRQbjM

As you can see, there are 4 keys like usual but the Space button is a big layer on top. Not act like a small regular note.

P/s: The video is another diffirent game. It's 3D built but I just need help with making the big middle space bar note.
Full Tablet
There is a method, but it limits each regular column to have a width of 25 (far thinner than regular).

Set all values in "ColumnWidth" in the skin.ini file to 100 (the maximum allowed), and all values in "ColumnSpacing" to big negative values. This makes all note images overlap each other. Set the NoteImageXX values in the skin.ini so all columns use different images.

Then, modify the images so they are 4 times wider than normal, with transparent space in the corresponding spaces.
Topic Starter
SectorJack

Full Tablet wrote:

There is a method, but it limits each regular column to have a width of 25 (far thinner than regular).

Set all values in "ColumnWidth" in the skin.ini file to 100 (the maximum allowed), and all values in "ColumnSpacing" to big negative values. This makes all note images overlap each other. Set the NoteImageXX values in the skin.ini so all columns use different images.

Then, modify the images so they are 4 times wider than normal, with transparent space in the corresponding spaces.
Can you make an example or a downloadable template so I can see how it looks?
Full Tablet

Here is a quick attempt at this idea (note that here I only skinned regular notes, not LNs, lighting, key graphics at the bottom, etc. Which also need to be adjusted with the overlapping settings). It uses a transparent red image for the Spacebar notes. Since the game doesn't always render the notes in the same order, you see that some times the spacebar is rendered above other notes (making them magenta), while other times it is drawn below (preserving their color)

The white lines that surround some of the notes are caused by the image scaling algorithm the game uses and the way the images were saved (to prevent problems, you need to save the png image in a way that the invisible pixels have the same color as the pixels in the border, instead of white)

You could also try to make the note images taller, adjusting the "WidthForNoteHeightScale" value to adjust the tallness the notes are rendered in, with invisible pixels up or down the visible pixels (adding pixels down requires adjusting the Hitposition value in the skin in order to make the graphics match the timing), in order to make the spacebar notes have a different tallness (like the ones in SVDX).
h3oCharles
I think you completetly misunderstood the question m8

it's mania-noteS, mania-noteSH and mania-noteSL for notes, mania-keyS and mania-keySD for keys
to increase the width of the middle column, make the 3rd value bigger than the rest of the values in ColumnWidth in skin.ini under [Mania] Keys: 5

EDIT1: holy crap, I can't read (that's two already in the derp counter)