forum

Lessen EZ score penalty

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
I think there's a pretty strong case for this as is.

I'm sure we've all seen -GN, Mafham, MillhioreF, or Ekoro pull off some crazy shit with EZ mod.

There's a problem though, EZ makes most high level maps really dense and hard to read. But on the flipside, it can make lower difficulties easier to play (as the mod name might suggest).

But I have a solution to both these problems. Make the EZ score reduction "fluid" so to speak.

Basically, it puts the map through an algorithm that tests for Note Density and Notes Per Second, after which, it grabs the star rating for the map and puts these values into a formula.

So for example,

(I don't claim these numbers or values to be correct or entirely balanced by any means, I'm just giving numbers to provide an example)

Let's say that EZ mod gives the normal -0.50x multiplier for a map like this (which is slow, simple, and easy to read): https://osu.ppy.sh/b/20382

Then logically, this map https://osu.ppy.sh/b/104229 would lower the negative multiplier a good bit, but not fully, as the average note density is pretty low (the map being composed primarily of 1/2 jumps makes it relatively simple to read), so, with that in mind, let's say it reduces it to around 0.40x.

But for a quick paced jump map like this ( https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1344602&m=0 ), it would lower the negative multiplier significantly more, as it uses 1/4 jumps and more complex patterns, so maybe about 0.30x for this one.

But that's just scratching the surface. Low AR gimmick maps with more complex patterns and higher note densities might reduce the negative multiplier even further, such as Oddloop or Spelunker.

I think this could work if it's executed correctly. Mcosu already has a function to detect note density and notes per second so obviously it's not impossible to code.
Full Tablet
No-mod plays do not overwrite EZ plays in leaderboards anymore, there is no need to balance score values between different mods, you can just consider them as different beatmaps.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Full Tablet wrote:

No-mod plays do not overwrite EZ plays in leaderboards anymore, there is no need to balance score values between different mods, you can just consider them as different beatmaps.
No mod does overwrite EZ. If I got a one sliderbreak run on the big black with EZ, and then got a no mod FC, then the no mod one would be kept.

And peppy really should work to balance mods, or hell, maybe add a new one. There hasn’t been a new difficulty increasing mod added since the game’s inception.

I feel EZ should be balanced as it gives too little PP for the reading ability and sometimes memorization required.
Full Tablet
Both the EZ score and the no-mod scores are preserved in the score database in the osu! servers, you can filter by mod in-client (though I am not sure if that feature is still supporter-only or not), or use the osu!api to retrieve the scores you have in all mod combinations.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Full Tablet wrote:

Both the EZ score and the no-mod scores are preserved in the score database in the osu! servers, you can filter by mod in-client (though I am not sure if that feature is still supporter-only or not), or use the osu!api to retrieve the scores you have in all mod combinations.
Filter by mod in client does work
xenonius

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

If I got a one sliderbreak run on the big black with EZ, and then got a no mod FC, then the no mod one would be kept.
gee i wonder why

probably because the EZ run wasn't a FC

also why is the multiplier going down as the maps get harder?
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
The negative multiplier is going down. So the reduction is decreased for harder maps
[-Akira-]

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

The negative multiplier is going down. So the reduction is decreased for harder maps
or like hd it gets a 1.06 multiplier
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

- Kiiyo - wrote:

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

or like hd it gets a 1.06 multiplier

That would be interesting, I doubt peppy would do that tho