forum

Seasonal ranking system.

posted
Total Posts
show more
-Virtuality
It would be interesting to see the rank of someone who is active rather than just seeing alot of inactive players taking up 30%~ of the general pp leaderboards.
Tactical Pizza
This will also remove inactive players from taking up high ranking spots and give you a more accurste repersention of where you stand among the active community. In my opinion have a overall ranking thats permant and then a seasonal one that resets every few months
pandaBee
Nah.
Vuelo Eluko

pandaBee wrote:

Nah.
Caput Mortuum
beatmap spotlights
Fxjlk

boiledcabbages wrote:

I have thought for a long time that one of weaker areas of the game is the inability for new players to enter top ranks
New players entering top ranks? Why?

New players by definition should not be top players
Jup3KW
The idea of the game isn't solely to grind pp and climbing the ladder. Most people don't even go for any pp plays, they play the game just for fun and want to improve by playing really techical maps etc.
Adding a seasonal type system would only benefit players who are already in the top ranks, because they will still overshine players who aren't as good as them.
If you are playing the game only for the pp, just play the game and you will start getting better overtime when your skill cealing isn't as low as before.
Topic Starter
boiledcabbages

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

boiledcabbages wrote:

I have thought for a long time that one of weaker areas of the game is the inability for new players to enter top ranks
New players entering top ranks? Why?

New players by definition should not be top players
Why shouldn't someone be entitled to a top rank if their skill proves they've earned It?

Edit: spelling error
Topic Starter
boiledcabbages

Jup3KW wrote:

The idea of the game isn't solely to grind pp and climbing the ladder. Most people don't even go for any pp plays, they play the game just for fun and want to improve by playing really techical maps etc.
Adding a seasonal type system would only benefit players who are already in the top ranks, because they will still overshine players who aren't as good as them.
If you are playing the game only for the pp, just play the game and you will start getting better overtime when your skill cealing isn't as low as before.
I do understand what you're saying and although I do agree as I am not a pp player myself it would be nice to be able to see the rank you're entitled to without having to grind for literal years.
Jup3KW

boiledcabbages wrote:

Jup3KW wrote:

I do understand what you're saying and although I do agree as I am not a pp player myself it would be nice to be able to see the rank you're entitled to without having to grind for literal years.
Well I don't think it's even possible. The current pp system has many flaws, which makes it easily abusable. Take for example players who only play DT or HR. They might be really high ranked, but they lack in areas others are good at (like nomod for example), so there is no way to show the real rank a person should be at. The one you currently have is propably close to what you are capable of achieving at the moment. If you are capable of more, you should be able to climb slowly but surely.

And its super hard to specify a really accurate rank in the lower tiers. thats why its easier to just say 6- 5- 4- 3- or 2- digit player
Topic Starter
boiledcabbages

Jup3KW wrote:

boiledcabbages wrote:

Jup3KW wrote:

Well I don't think it's even possible. The current pp system has many flaws, which makes it easily abusable. Take for example players who only play DT or HR. They might be really high ranked, but they lack in areas others are good at (like nomod for example), so there is no way to show the real rank a person should be at. The one you currenrtly have is probaply close to what you are capable of achieving at the moment. If you are capable of more, you should be able to climb more slowly.

And its super hard to specify a really accurate rank in the lower tiers. thats why its easier to just say 6- 5- 4- 3- or 2- digit player

Yes I realise the pp system is extremely flawed however this would fix some of the issues, and to be honest I see no reason to not try it. Especially since it can at least help with some of the issues with the system as mentioned above.

And besides that a new pp system in parallel with the old one wont do anything about dt/hd farmers, they'll always be there and I highly doubt that this increase the problem.
Jup3KW

boiledcabbages wrote:

Yes I realise the pp system is extremely flawed however this would fix some of the issues, and to be honest I see no reason to not try it. Especially since it can at least help with some of the issues with the system as mentioned above.

And besides that a new pp system in parallel with the old one wont do anything about dt/hd farmers, they'll always be there and I highly doubt that this increase the problem.
I think people wouldn't like to start all over again every 1-2 months tho. Most would end up grinding their ass even if there would be a seasonal pp event, because of less competition etc.
mulraf
1. 4 this is the forum where you post stuff like this. it probably isn't going to get you much further since peppy and the team are directing all their resources at osu!next and partly fixing bugs right now, but at least it would be the formally right place. it won't get your suggestion much further here as well.

2. i'm pretty sure this has already been suggested (probably more than just once). i'm not as good in this as a global moderator but they'll probably find you the threads easily.

3. i don't think you will get much further in 'active' monthly charts. i think everyone who has plenty of 200pp scores will agree that they won't have any problems whatsoever farming dozens of 100-150pp scores in no time. so ranks are pretty accurately telling how high you are in terms of what you can farm, if you farm (which is what most people end up doing). and the inactive people get deleted from the rankings frequently. honestly i don't think much would change in the rankings. maybe instead of #150.000 people might end up at #100.000, instead of #20.000 people might end up at #15.000 (because the higher up ranked people are more active anyways usually).

4. there are charts. yes, not many people participate in the charts but it's not that bad of a system in my opinion and you can definitely get a high rank there since not many people participate.

5. many long-term players, as jup3kw reasoned, probably wouldn't like the idea of their effort being even less appreciated. it might do the opposite of what you want to achieve and demoralize players even more.

i think your suggestion has benefits as well as obstacles. it's not easy to say which weigh more, pretty subjective imho. personally i don't need extra seasonal / monthly rankings for the listed reasons.
Xalesin
:thinking:
E m i

Xalesin wrote:

boiledcabbages wrote:

I am not a pp player
his statement was easy to understand though
Topic Starter
boiledcabbages

Jup3KW wrote:

boiledcabbages wrote:

I think people wouldn't like to start all over again every 1-2 months tho. Most would end up grinding their ass even if there would be a seasonal pp event, because of less competition etc.
Well that's the thing the old pp system is also in place, it just runs in parallel with it
pandaBee
i my me mine is a sub 1 minute map.
E m i

pandaBee wrote:

i my me mine is a sub 1 minute map.
It was fun at the beginning of my hr ss career
Kishuya
While I don't fully disagree with this system there are some things I'd like to point out, firstly some of the current top players in the top 100 don't even farm ranks anymore/much, this means that a persons skill could be 10x better than that of a 5 digit but the 5 digit will be on top in terms of seasonal rankings. rather than helping to create a new generation of mapping, this could further shitty 5-second jump pp maps that give a ton of pp as it'll be more demanded as to get "higher" on the seasonal ranking leaderboards (even if for a short amount of time). Another thing I want to point out is about the actual accuracy of the leaderboards, A top 50 player could literally just be a 5 digit that pulled an all-nighter to farm a bunch of stoarks maps.
My Angel Jeremy
There is no point
Fxjlk

boiledcabbages wrote:

Why shouldn't someone be entitled to a top rank if their skill proves they've earned It?

Edit: spelling error
If they had the skill to earn it they are are not a new player.

New players don't set top scores.