forum

Why are there so few ranked 9k maps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DaveTheMedic
I have heard some discussion from other threads regarding 9k being somewhat ineffective for pp farming, and thus fairly useless as ranked maps.

However, as a new player that's enjoyed playing some of the higher keys, I think it would be really fun to see more 9k maps.
Osusearch only shows there being a small handful of ranked 9k maps.

Why exactly is this the case? I know there must be more 9k fans out there like me...
[TAS]
Mainly its because most people play 4k and 7k. Anything below, in between or above the majority of people don't really play to often for some reason. As far as why there are so few ranked 9k maps I don't know. But to be honest I didn't even know any 9k maps were ranked.
Full Tablet
In the beginning, most mappers came from other games that were played with 4, 7 or 8 keys. Since there were always maps with those keycounts available, more players started playing with them, increasing the amounts of mappers and maps for those keycounts. Other keycounts didn't have as many mappers at the start, so their growth is much slower.

There is also the fact that starting to learn higher playcounts takes considerably more time and effort than lower keycounts; many players begin with 4k, become decent at it, and never learn how to play higher keycounts properly.
abraker
good news is that there are packs of 10k maps if you are interested
Topic Starter
DaveTheMedic

abraker wrote:

good news is that there are packs of 10k maps if you are interested
Omg lol, definitely gonna try that out haha.
dewero
http://osusearch.com/search/?statuses=Unranked&modes=Mania&cs=(9.00,9.00) is your best friend for finding unranked 9k maps if you get bored of the ranked maps

Also hmu if you ever want to get into games with more advanced 9k (PMS), though it looks like osumania will be fine for you for now...
abraker

dewero wrote:

http://osusearch.com/search/?statuses=Unranked&modes=Mania&cs=(9.00,9.00) is your best friend for finding unranked 9k maps if you get bored of the ranked maps

Also hmu if you ever want to get into games with more advanced 9k (PMS), though it looks like osumania will be fine for you for now...
he already did that

DaveTheMedic wrote:

Osusearch only shows there being a small handful of ranked 9k maps.
Endaris
If I'm not completely wrong, osu!mania only supported up to 8k when it was first released.
Support for 9k ranked maps was only added about 2 years later which is obviously a huge factor for the availability of ranked 9k maps.
Bobbias
You are absolutely correct. 9k had almost no real attention until it was added to the ranking criteria too. There was some interest, but almost nobody bothered to make unranked 9k maps, so there wasnt much community there until it was added to the criteria and more people started getting interested in it.
GrilledCheeese
A better world starts with yourself, maybe you want to start mapping 9k? ;) I too welcome more ranked 9k or even 10k maps. But as with every map I feel like it's a struggle to get noticed even if you were to make a properly ranked beatmap. But I'm ignorant on the subject, because I haven't participated in the mapping community although I would love to at some point. There's a mentorship thing going around too that happens once in a while, but there's limited mentors available for the amount of mentees who want to be taught how to map.
Todestrieb
Lack of charts and the Ranking Process. It's ridiculously hard to find feedback and/or mods for 9K.
PouletFurtif
Probably better like this since osu's absence of spam punishment allows any 7k player to get big scores.
abraker

PouletFurtif wrote:

Probably better like this since osu's absence of spam punishment allows any 7k player to get big scores.
Tell that to noodle maps. my fingers are falling off thinking about it
PouletFurtif
Yeah LNs are the only thing o!m do well. Unfortunately nobody likes playing 9K LNs.
abraker

PouletFurtif wrote:

Yeah LNs are the only thing o!m do well. Unfortunately nobody likes playing 9K LNs.
So much for NM difficulty. Finger independence over the top in this one: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1492469&m=3