forum

pp =/= skill

posted
Total Posts
show more
Edgar_Figaro

Yujin Senpai wrote:

Maybe it is rewarded more in terms of pp , but the effort to FC a longer map is just not worth compared with short maps. Maybe my consistency ist just not good enough yet. Another frustrating thing is to break in the middle of a song, especially if you manage to get 99% acc. Cause in the end you get nothing.
Yeah I agree, Combo based scoring is the problem with OsuStandard imo. While the idea of "Penalizing Misses" is a good idea, the way it's implemented is terrible. Having the location of the miss be the most important factor and not simply "How many times I missed" makes it so that mappers can abuse this quite easily. How many maps have we seen that have the full screen jumps in the last 10 notes of the song to massive inflate the SR? Sure you are very likely to miss on these and it will diminish PP earned, but if we had this same pattern in the middle of the song the choke on these jumps would make your play worthless.

Having Number of Misses Increased in terms of PP reduction and have Combo Removed from calculation would prevent alot of these difficulty spikes abuses. It's even worse when the mapper has the difficulty spike at the beggining of the map as the player can just keep playing this over and over until they FC the beggining and then get the free PP ride all the way to the end of the map.
pandaBee
Wouldn't go so far to say it's overrated. To get a decent amount of PP on a long map you have to be able to acc it. Having all the fundamentals of a particular map down pat and having the consistency, stamina and focus to pull it all off in one go is very difficult. Re-try spamming won't work here either unlike on a lot of TV/mid-sized maps, not to mention how difficult it is to improve at consistency.

That being said I hate the current pp system anyways so yeah fuk u heil peppy.
Akanagi
PP is fine. If you put increase pp gain from acc mappers will just start pumping out OD10 metronome maps with decent jumps that will reward massive pp and then ppl will start complaining again.

Long maps are still balanced. You can gain PP from both TV sizes and 5min snoozefests equally well (see new Sotarks map / Endgame etc) TV sizes are just more convenient, but on average most players retry TV sizes a lot so the time consumed actually ends up being the same, since Long maps usually are less spikey and thus easier to hit, compared to the TV sizes that have to compensate low combo count by putting some PP-bursts and larger jumps in there.

The only thing that's not being rewarded is reading and I think it's fine since rewarding reading in some way opens a can of worms where ppl will start to argue "What exactly is hard to read?" It's a hard one to pin down, especially since most people can acclimatise quickly and in just a few months the things that were considered hard 2 read are freelo again and we're back to this discussion.

I don't really see a huge flaw in the pp system. It rewards acc, aim, and speed and even gives you a bonus for playing lengthy maps. All fundamental skills (except reading which is a can of worms) are rewarded, and everyone who has good enough fundamentals will be able to gain PP.
The only people who are really hurt by the pp system are people who play nothing but AR6-7, Scarlet Rose and Shotgun Symphony+ all day.

Changing the PP system in any way will just cause a shift in meta and nothing else. Mappers will just map whatever proves to be the new most efficient pp map.
Topic Starter
abraker

Rayne wrote:

I don't really see a huge flaw in the pp system. It rewards acc, aim, and speed and even gives you a bonus for playing lengthy maps.
Yes it rewards everything correctly for the max pp. The issue is how it reacts to combo. As edgar_figaro said, just put the diff spike in the beginning and you can spam retry until you get the beginning and FC the rest of the map easily. Put the diff spike in the middle, and suddenly the play is worthless and not worth your time when there are other spam happy maps.
Yolshka
but you cant have less skill than the minimum amount required to reach your current pp, even if you are a bad girl and farm pp.
so what does pp truly mean.
E m i
for years i've been wondering how people manage to say current pp system is ok in its basic aspects
do you not notice how the best aim plays are 700pp and the best speed plays are 400pp?

or do you just think that's how it should be lol

https://osu.ppy.sh/u/XII
>be "speed player"
>top ranks are still aim maps
>if you were as good at aim as you are at speed you would be smashing 700+pp scores
>fair pp system
PolarBearHD_
nice map!
Vuelo Eluko

Momi wrote:

for years i've been wondering how people manage to say current pp system is ok in its basic aspects
do you not notice how the best aim plays are 700pp and the best speed plays are 400pp?

or do you just think that's how it should be lol

https://osu.ppy.sh/u/XII
>be "speed player"
>top ranks are still aim maps
>if you were as good at aim as you are at speed you would be smashing 700+pp scores
>fair pp system
Most speed players were worse off in ppv1. Much, much worse off.
ManuelOsuPlayer
PP != skill for the simple reasson i can pick a map worth +200PP and retry 20 times until get it as toprank.
My skill will be worst after retry the map but my PP will easily increase.
There are also 4* 30 seconds DT maps what feels like flat 5* and give around 230PP.
I also have some SS sightreading chokes 1 miss in the middle of the map plays what worth 100PP. Play that map some times in a row will make me have around 240PP.
Will my skill increase because i pick that map again? No sense.
Vuelo Eluko

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

My skill will be wors
What?
E m i
Maybe he's talking about some sort of temporary mental disorientation from retrying too much, i don't think temporary stuff counts at all...
Fxjlk
pp isn't broken. It is a reasonable measurement of skill level in terms of raw ability.

Technical map players are rewarded with leader boards.

pp isn't broken.
E m i

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

pp isn't broken. It is a reasonable measurement of skill level in terms of raw ability.

pp isn't broken.
that's pretty funny. "raw ability" is the most easily debunkable one

map 1: 990 easy objects and 10 hard objects (in the ending)
miss 1 hard object... 990~1000 combo yay
map 2: 990 easy objects and 10 hard objects (in the middle)
miss 1 hard object... ~500 combo yay

999 goods and 1 bad vs 999 goods and 1 bad

but one of them has half as much aim pp as the other one, yay

pp is not even an aim game because your aim matters only if it's the kind of aim that aligns with pp

what does it measure, your ability to play maps with a few types of inflated aim pp (ultra engineered with jump spikes of appropriate length, object count inflation with triples, combo inflation, preferable jump spike placement, preferable angles, preferable length?)

and the highest OD that you can get 98.8-99.6% acc on?

if so then sure it measures that nicely... also pray that your 1miss will be in a place that gives you the most aim pp... miss placement accounts for HALF of the aim pp, that's cute!
Vuelo Eluko
if pp is to be taken as gospel the playerbase overall has gotten about 3x better than they were at the start of ppv2 lol just based on how high the barrier to higher ranks has become
and rafis/cookiezi are around 2x better than rrtyui

but we know better
Jun Maeda
I play for pp and i enjoy it
Topic Starter
abraker
ok we ready for acc based scoring or community still in stone age?
E m i

abraker wrote:

Yes but I would rather...

Change 100s to 75% acc and 50s to 50% acc (from 33.33% and 16.66%), it would help making aim matter in a balanced way because right now acc-wise, misses are barely worse than 100s and 50s... acc-based scoring would be changing aim from "too strong" to "too weak" without this alteration

After the change 1 miss will be worth as much as 4 100s or 2 50s.

Also maybe 90% combo vs 50% combo could be worth a bit more pp as well (not 180% as much like it is currently, but maybe 110% as much or something)
Akanagi

abraker wrote:

Just give the multiplier a cap, or only increase the multiplier every 100x combo or so, increase value of 300s a bit and it's all good.

Score v2 sucks, though. I'd rather keep Score v1 until Score v3 is ready.
- e - v - b-

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

if pp is to be taken as gospel the playerbase overall has gotten about 3x better than they were at the start of ppv2 lol just based on how high the barrier to higher ranks has become

but we know better
to be fair, people now are way better than at the start of ppv2 and Rafis/Cookiezi are most definitely a lot better than rrtyui
My Angel Jeremy

- e - v - b- wrote:

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

but we know better
to be fair, people now are way better than at the start of ppv2 and Rafis/Cookiezi are most definitely a lot better than rrtyui
this
Fxjlk

Momi wrote:

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

pp isn't broken.

We can all play the same maps, no one is excluded from playing map 1.

Therefore we are all assessed to the same standard which is fair.
E m i

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

Momi wrote:

We can all play the same maps, no one is excluded from playing map 1.

Therefore we are all assessed to the same standard which is fair.
Ok it's fair that sense, totally and undeniably, but it's not fair in the sense that stuff like 500 combo 6xmiss is assessed as having better aim than 990 combo 1xmiss. And not fair in the sense that, as an example, fcing 6 star farm jumps is judged at the same pp as SSing 300bpm streams.

Or not fair in the sense that turbo aim patterns like "cs5 ar8 6 star square stream" need more aim than "cs4 ar9.6 6 star triangle jump"

So it's only fair in judging the most PP-valuable type of aim, lol. If you have top 10 streaming skill or rustbell aim, you gain 0 pp because without it you can play hime hime dt, and with it you can play hime hime dt.

be top 10 at speed/stream/acc, all fucking three at once = enjoy your 350pp scores
be top 10 at aim and top 1000 at acc = enjoy your 750pp scores

I mean sure maybe people specifically want to make aim (oops i meant combo) more important than everything else. I'm just asking why it's not something more reasonable, like 600pp vs 750pp.
Fxjlk

Momi wrote:

Ok it's fair that sense, totally and undeniably, but it's not fair in the sense that stuff like 500 combo 6xmiss is assessed as having better aim than 990 combo 1xmiss.
I disagree with that, right now there is a good balance where short maps are good for easy pp gains and medium sized maps are best for peak pp gains.

If you look at the current 800pp scores most of them are 1.5k combo maps because 800pp 400 combo maps are way too fast to farm at all.

If longer maps were rewarded we would have dumb marathon maps taking over as the new pp meta which would be more garbage than the current meta.

(this is coming from someone who likes marathon maps)
E m i
Disagree with what? I meant 500/1000 combo 6xmiss and 990/1000 combo 1xmiss
500 out of 1000
990 out of 1000

6 times more misses = better aim?
Fxjlk

Momi wrote:

Disagree with what? I meant 500/1000 combo 6xmiss and 990/1000 combo 1xmiss
500 out of 1000
990 out of 1000

6 times more misses = better aim?
Im talking about 6 star jump maps vs longer stream maps.

Also the maps you are talking about with spikes are easy pp gains not peak pp gains.

These maps are not a problem because they are not the best pp maps for a certain skill level.
E m i
That's literally the problem because better aim = less aim pp, duh.
Fxjlk

Momi wrote:

That's literally the problem because better aim = less aim pp, duh.
Well if it is faster aim it is better, depending on how much faster it is.

Stamina shouldn't be rewarded too much imo and its good how it is
dung eater

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Yujin Senpai wrote:

Maybe it is rewarded more in terms of pp , but the effort to FC a longer map is just not worth compared with short maps. Maybe my consistency ist just not good enough yet. Another frustrating thing is to break in the middle of a song, especially if you manage to get 99% acc. Cause in the end you get nothing.
Yeah I agree, Combo based scoring is the problem with OsuStandard imo. While the idea of "Penalizing Misses" is a good idea, the way it's implemented is terrible. Having the location of the miss be the most important factor and not simply "How many times I missed" makes it so that mappers can abuse this quite easily. How many maps have we seen that have the full screen jumps in the last 10 notes of the song to massive inflate the SR? Sure you are very likely to miss on these and it will diminish PP earned, but if we had this same pattern in the middle of the song the choke on these jumps would make your play worthless.

Having Number of Misses Increased in terms of PP reduction and have Combo Removed from calculation would prevent alot of these difficulty spikes abuses. It's even worse when the mapper has the difficulty spike at the beggining of the map as the player can just keep playing this over and over until they FC the beggining and then get the free PP ride all the way to the end of the map.
They could use a combo/(max certain difficulty) curve to weight the pp to make it better than the current system or pure miss amount based one.

If you had a map with the most difficult part in the middle and you get 65% combo you'd get more multiplier from the combocurve than in a map with a difficulty spike in the end/start.

It was probably suggested several times in that old pp feedback thread. I don't know the other posts than mine. It would not be perfect and you would always have to assume the player got the combo they did in the easiest part of the map, but it would nerf diff spikes in the end/start and buff diff spikes in the middle, if you don't fc the map.

https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/top ... rt=5011260 https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/top ... rt=4074119

maybe i could try coding some kind of example but it would take a lot of re-learning basics on how to write code

probably really bad quickly slapped together further explanation
SPOILER
int d_points == 5
int maxdifficulty == 5 //absolute difficulty doesn't matter, just the relative difficulty within map. you can probably work with absolute and it's easier
int d_map1[d_points] == {2; 3; 5; 3; 2} //array, draws a graph of map difficulty spikes)
int d_map2[d_points] == {2; 3; 2; 3; 5} //these are the difficulty 'maps' of two beatmaps, other with spike in middle other in the end

int combocurve[d_points]

for (i == 1; i <= d_points + 1 ; i++)
{combocurve[i] == findlowest_d(i, d_map1) //find lowest difficulty partition with length i

you'd get {2, 3, 5, 5, 5} for the first map,
{2, 3, 3, 3, 5} for the second map and could use it to weight the pp.
the curve maxes out for the one with spike in middle in the middle, so you would get more pp multiplier for 3/5 or 4/5 combo on that map.

problems:
i've not written any c++ in years and i never was any good.

find lowest difficulty function might be very (idk it could be not) computationally heavy, BUT
it's done only once and the result is a curve/array whatever that's easy to use.
Topic Starter
abraker

jaaakb wrote:

stuffs
code in python
def combocurve(diff_curve):
lowest = 0; result = []

for diff in diff_curve:
if lowest < diff: lowest = diff
result.append(lowest)

return result

# Array, draws a graph of map difficulty spikes)
# These are the difficulty 'maps' of two beatmaps, other with spike in middle other in the end
d_map1 = [2, 3, 5, 3, 2]
d_map2 = [2, 3, 2, 3, 5]

# you'd get {2, 3, 5, 5, 5} for the first map,
# {2, 3, 3, 3, 5} for the second map and could use it to weight the pp.
# The curve maxes out for the one with spike in middle in the middle, so you would get more pp
# multiplier for 3/5 or 4/5 combo on that map.
print(combocurve(d_map1))
print(combocurve(d_map2))

See it in action: https://repl.it/@_abrakerabraker/combocurve