forum

Friends scores on maps and ratings [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +698
show more
Remigius
Sounds nice.

Now only if I had friends to be competitive with.
nutnnut
Support! :D
ieb
Support! That will be great!
Dustice
good idea... support x3
Primula_old
Very much want this, my main motivation when playing this game is to beat my friends. >-<!
420Guy
+4
Lanturn
+4 stars.. This is all I really look for when scrolling through the scores.. We already have the (Has Friends) thing, so why not make it that we can have just our friends scores shown.
Speedy J CheLioS
+3 Come on Guys, just add this feature :D
Oinari-sama
People are still giving stars to this? Here's the bad news for those who didn't read whole thread:

peppy wrote:

I am hoping to address this in a round-about way in the future. For now, due to my previously mentioned reasons, it is not possible.

mmstick wrote:

I don't see how this would be intensive to implement, plenty of other games do this. One way would be to store all scores on a server, only keeping the highest score a user makes and the client simply grabs the data from the website database in real-time (similar to embedding a frame of a webpage). Another way would be for the clients to individually ask other clients for their highest local scores to sync with and promptly attempt to sync with friends clients when a new high score is obtained.
You need an index per-user per-beatmap ordered by score. As this information is obviously not stored in a single table, it means duplicating a lot of data, which all needs to be updated on a regular basis. Making this an efficient lookup is one of the most challenging query types for a database. It of course can be done, but requires a lot of optimisation, consideration and storage space.

Your solutions may sound simple to you, but aren't actually feasible due to over-simplication (suggestion 1) or incorrect approach (suggestion 2).
Mosti07
I hope this going to be fast in the change log :P
Kalle_old_1

peppy wrote:

I am hoping to address this in a round-about way in the future. For now, due to my previously mentioned reasons, it is not possible.

mmstick wrote:

I don't see how this would be intensive to implement, plenty of other games do this. One way would be to store all scores on a server, only keeping the highest score a user makes and the client simply grabs the data from the website database in real-time (similar to embedding a frame of a webpage). Another way would be for the clients to individually ask other clients for their highest local scores to sync with and promptly attempt to sync with friends clients when a new high score is obtained.
You need an index per-user per-beatmap ordered by score. As this information is obviously not stored in a single table, it means duplicating a lot of data, which all needs to be updated on a regular basis. Making this an efficient lookup is one of the most challenging query types for a database. It of course can be done, but requires a lot of optimisation, consideration and storage space.

Your solutions may sound simple to you, but aren't actually feasible due to over-simplication (suggestion 1) or incorrect approach (suggestion 2).
I might not understood the whole problem, but how about having a "Show friends scores" button for each beatmap in the client, which then downloads the full rankings for said map and parses the info in the clients own computer?
Winshley

Kalle wrote:

I might not understood the whole problem, but how about having a "Show friends scores" button for each beatmap in the client, which then downloads the full rankings for said map and parses the info in the clients own computer?
It still requires downloading info from leaderboard beforehand, no?

Imagine million of users trying to fetch the leaderboard from the server...

This idea is interesting, which I support. But we need an efficient method so that it doesn't take too much server load.
Kalle_old_1

Winshley wrote:

Kalle wrote:

It still requires downloading info from leaderboard beforehand, no?

Imagine million of users trying to fetch the leaderboard from the server...

This idea is interesting, which I support. But we need an efficient method so that it doesn't take too much server load.
But only if user pushes the button to check, it wouldn't happen automatically, which would drastically reduce the traffic. can't really think about better method mainly because my understanding about programming is very minor.
[Joker]
Supporting wish i had stars though
Dooms
How about making it a feature on the website?

You have the check box for no mod plays only... Add one for friends only?

I'm no programmer, so I have no idea how this would work, but it sounds easier than doing it through the osu program.
Unbr34k4bl3
Supporting! It's a cool idea!
Francis
This saves up so much time.
Wish I could support this but I have no votes :(
Prieto
Nice Idea! :3
Bloodyback
Yeah! I love that idea!
theowest
Added
t/124366

peppy wrote:

This is currently limited to supporters only while I load test the system, but this may change in the future.

How it looks on one of my maps:

those users you see on the list there are some of my friends with a rank on this map.
mochi
Any chances of there being a ranking list containing ONLY friends? I don't believe anybody asked for a unified list...
theowest

mochi wrote:

Any chances of there being a ranking list containing ONLY friends? I don't believe anybody asked for a unified list...
it's how peppy implemented it. don't expect him to do exactly what the request is asking for.
Prieto
ADDED! ~(^3^)~