forum

Friends scores on maps and ratings [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +698
show more
Aoko
Support. This would be a good idea. We can make more friends thus, you won't have problems finding your friends score/s and to invite them into a rival fight. ;)
Devil Cosmo
I'm support to this :D
michaelliang
That's a great idea!
Skyara
I gave you a star because I really love the idea :D It would be so great to have a friends rank on each map you play, to add more challenge and fun to solo mode.
S o r c e r y
support! nice idea
Shadow
Sounds like a good idea, but maybe make it that it will only work if both are mutual friends?
XGeneral2000

peppy wrote:

I've always wanted to do this, but technically speaking this is a very hard (intensive) thing to handle.
By this, do you mean it's hard to code, or it's difficult for the server to handle requests on that scale? If it's the former, then I guess it can't be helped, but if it's the latter, you could limit it so it doesn't load the server so badly, like have it update only once in a while (hourly?), or only be between mutual friends like ShadowLord suggested. Alternately, maybe you could tone down other features, like make only top 6 scores automatically upload a replay (I don't think a lot of people watch replays that aren't on the first page).

Sorry if I sound pushy and selfish, but this is the coolest idea ever. A scoreboard for friends is, like, literally the one thing I've always wanted to see in osu!, and I'll be rather sad if it's never implemented.
theowest
I've already experienced many of my friends activity on many top 40s and for me, that's enough. I really wouldn't care about anyone under rank 40. That just means they suck and that isn't fun to see. :lol:
Tear
This is one of those features I have no idea why aren't in yet. Almost every game with leaderboards lets you compete against your friends' scores, it lets newbies have fun too. Full support
GeNJiii_old
Nice Idea
JackspicerX13
Supporting, I'd need this to keep up with my friends, on-the-fly.
XPJ38
Support, this is an interesting feature.
Yuzeyun
This is a great idea. I would've given one vote for, but sdafafdgfagsd no stars :c

Supporting this.
jabberwockey
Support, a really cool idea \:D/
mmstick
I don't see how this would be intensive to implement, plenty of other games do this. One way would be to store all scores on a server, only keeping the highest score a user makes and the client simply grabs the data from the website database in real-time (similar to embedding a frame of a webpage). Another way would be for the clients to individually ask other clients for their highest local scores to sync with and promptly attempt to sync with friends clients when a new high score is obtained.

It would also be nice if every beatmap had their own dedicated torrent link, possibly even have torrent functionality implemented inside Osu! I'd be willing to donate tons of bandwidth if this existed.
theowest

mmstick wrote:

It would also be nice if every beatmap had their own dedicated torrent link, possibly even have torrent functionality implemented inside Osu! I'd be willing to donate tons of bandwidth if this existed.
In your dreams. osu! doesn't want to be associated with that kind of stuff.
mmstick

theowest wrote:

mmstick wrote:

In your dreams. osu! doesn't want to be associated with that kind of stuff.
Why not? Are you implying there is some major flaw in the torrent protocol? If anything, it would drastically take the load off of the Osu servers, reducing bandwidth cost and needs. Give me a single good reason for why it would be a bad thing to be 'associated' with an Internet protocol like torrent.
Sakura
This is the closest thing to torrents we have: t/64970 feel free to donate bandwidth to it :)

Now back to topic.
theowest
Now that I think about it. It would be kind of swell.

A torrent based system inside osu!, automatically running, all files and everything are shared as you upload them automatically (but act in a specific way depending on how things would work best). Damn. osu! would be so cost efficient if this was the case. That's how all sharing should work! I never thought torrents were this revolutionary before.

Yeah, back to topic. Very interesting though. I'd love to have a discussion about it, but not here of course.
emergist
OT...

Support this feature, it is just like a social network.
smoogipoo
I would really like this feature to be supported, it would really give the game a bit more of a competition between friends :D
Azure_Kite
Last I heard, p2p functionality was already being programmed into the game, It's just not in effect yet. It would be cool to see a friends rating board, but it would be harder to manage server-wise than top 40.

If you want to do this, just grab your friends' replays. Their scores move over to the local scoreboard.
theowest
There should be a check box right on top of the online ranking; "Show friend plays only". Somewhere between here:

Should also be available on the web, right next to the "shoe no-mod plays only:
XGeneral2000
"Display friends on song select rankings when present."

Did I read that right

Because if I did, I'm going to squeal like a girl
wmfchris
The problem is your "friends" may not want to show his/her score and this could end up with people watching random players' score by making friends with him/her. If the relationship is mutual and he/she is willing to disclose his/her score, you can simply ask him/her for the score/replay.
theowest

wmfchris wrote:

The problem is your "friends" may not want to show his/her score and this could end up with people watching random players' score by making friends with him/her. If the relationship is mutual and he/she is willing to disclose his/her score, you can simply ask him/her for the score/replay.
Exactly. If you really want to see who your friends are, just remember who they are. They're already highlighted on the list and any friend beyond rank 40 won't show anyway.

So this feature request is pretty shit.
Sakura
No because you normally only see 1st, 37th, 38th, 39th, 40th, Your best, Current.

If a friend isnt in any of those you wont see it until you get higher than 40th so it shifts a bit and so on, i'd prefer that it only shows your friends position (on top 40) if this is implemented, which is what i think peppy was proposing, also adding a toggle of course, for those that want to see the old behavior.
theowest
well you still can't watch their replay if they're under top 40.

but I'm more interested in this: t/87490

Why not have both?
Sakura
Yeah, but filtering top 40 to only display friends is what im talking about (didn't peppy say something similar in here? i cant seem to find the post).

Edit: @theowest: I meant mid-play.
theowest
oh. well that will most certainly make the list smaller and easier for you to scroll through
WASSHOI
I support this idea. When you're newer to the game you don't particularly get that competitive feel, but starting up with friends and seeing a friend ranking fixes that. It's even better if it's multiple friends. Imagine a small community like a forum with on Osu thread in off topic, they friend each other and just wanna keep tabs on each other's scored without manually posting their scored in the thread.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who aren't interested in the top 40, but would be interested in having a scoreboard of their 20 mutual friends to compete with. Having to manually manage scores makes it too much of a hassle to be fun.

As for stalking people's scores, you could just have it work for just mutual friends. It also doesn't help that you don't get a notification when people request you as a friend for you to accept, they can just add you without your knowledge. Friend system in general seems in need of tweaking, but perhaps that's for a different time.
peppy
I am hoping to address this in a round-about way in the future. For now, due to my previously mentioned reasons, it is not possible.

mmstick wrote:

I don't see how this would be intensive to implement, plenty of other games do this. One way would be to store all scores on a server, only keeping the highest score a user makes and the client simply grabs the data from the website database in real-time (similar to embedding a frame of a webpage). Another way would be for the clients to individually ask other clients for their highest local scores to sync with and promptly attempt to sync with friends clients when a new high score is obtained.
You need an index per-user per-beatmap ordered by score. As this information is obviously not stored in a single table, it means duplicating a lot of data, which all needs to be updated on a regular basis. Making this an efficient lookup is one of the most challenging query types for a database. It of course can be done, but requires a lot of optimisation, consideration and storage space.

Your solutions may sound simple to you, but aren't actually feasible due to over-simplication (suggestion 1) or incorrect approach (suggestion 2).
asdsasd123
definitely a great idea....
tired of going through asking friends their ranks/scores
kinda annoying
theowest
This looks awesome for now:
Minty Gum
This sounds fun... it would add something new to regular gameplay for me. Make things a bit more spicy 8-)
lavalake
I had the same idea. I do support this idea, but this will be kind of hard to make.

peppy wrote:

I am hoping to address this in a round-about way in the future. For now, due to my previously mentioned reasons, it is not possible.

mmstick wrote:

You need an index per-user per-beatmap ordered by score. As this information is obviously not stored in a single table, it means duplicating a lot of data, which all needs to be updated on a regular basis. Making this an efficient lookup is one of the most challenging query types for a database. It of course can be done, but requires a lot of optimisation, consideration and storage space.

Your solutions may sound simple to you, but aren't actually feasible due to over-simplication (suggestion 1) or incorrect approach (suggestion 2).
This is kind of confusing to me. Whatever confusing must be hard, right?
[Zappy]
Support :D +2
Skyara
We can see when our friends are in the rank, so why can't we just make a filter for "yellow players" who are in the #400 ? I don't know if this is possible with those who are not :/
Soner Wolf
This is a wonderful idea! I actually wondering why something like this didn't exist when I first started playing a year ago. although I wasn't on the forums much, and didn't know you could make feature requests. I hope this gets added!
jabberwockey
I support this, however if you learned how databases are made/how to make one it's going to be very difficult.
I'm trying to write a process tree down and it's giving me a headache :o
show more