forum

Any tips to learn how to tap with 2 fingers ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Abie
I think its called alternate or something ? I don't remember :/
But I want to learn how to play like that its seems a lot of fun. Anyone here use that tapping technique instead of single tap and can give some advices ?
I started a few days ago and I choke a lot when there is long jumps
Sandy Hoey
play more... but here's the trick. Alternate when you play

And you may need to go down in difficulty to learn the new skill
abraker
All gamplay related threads should be posted here: 13
Topic Starter
Abie

abraker wrote:

All gamplay related threads should be posted here: 13
Sorry I didn't knew as you can see i'm still pretty new to the forums :/
Flying Deer
Dual tap all the time, even when you don't need to.
You might also want to rebind your keys. I like E and F, but good players seem to stick to the default. You might also want to experiment with keeping your hand a little more in the air instead of letting it rest. I think keeping it in the air helps with keeping the speed up for a longer time.
kartonrealista

Flying Deer wrote:

You might also want to rebind your keys. I like E and F, but good players seem to stick to the default. You might also want to experiment with keeping your hand a little more in the air instead of letting it rest. I think keeping it in the air helps with keeping the speed up for a longer time.
That's actually some pretty terrible advice. How would the last part even work? Your hand gets extra tired from being kept in the air.
Dryad
When I realised my single tapping was no where near fast enough to finish even some 3 star songs I decided to commit to alternating full time. Others have said it already, but go down a difficulty and alternate everything no matter how slow, it will feel awkward at first but it won't take that long to get used to it.
Flying Deer

kartonrealista wrote:

That's actually some pretty terrible advice. How would the last part even work? Your hand gets extra tired from being kept in the air.
I was probably too quick to post. Yesterday I stumbled on a video of Cookiezi and I got the impression that his hand is not firmly planted, because his fingers move a lot more than mine and the general shape of the hand is different. But after rewatching it just now, his hand is probably grounded, though it might be lighter than firmly planting it way down. Or not.

I should add that dual tapping takes no effort or concentration whatsoever for me anymore, but in spite of that I seem to single tap 20% of the time, for some reason. I noticed it by looking at my tap counter after some songs. So really, just do it a lot, it's not a science.

Because I dual tap "all" the time, whenever there is a surprise stream coming up, I'm ready for it because I don't need to change anything. When it's 4+ star maps, I often notice other players dying right there because they were not ready to do an unexpected stream. Single tapping peasants.
Wishes
I am a full alternator, and imo long jump sections are easier if you partially use your wrist movement to tap it like in singletapping, I noticed this gives better accuracy.
dung eater

kartonrealista wrote:

Flying Deer wrote:

Getting tired is not a problem after a while. Differend muscles keep hand in air than the ones you tap with. Keeping hand in position is more difficult in streams. Easy to go too low when streaming and hand is in air without noticing. Jumps and slower stuff are very effortless to tap with hand lifted or planted. I play with tapping hand in air.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Click AR circles or music.
kartonrealista

jaaakb wrote:

kartonrealista wrote:

Getting tired is not a problem after a while. Differend muscles keep hand in air than the ones you tap with. Keeping hand in position is more difficult in streams. Easy to go too low when streaming and hand is in air without noticing. Jumps and slower stuff are very effortless to tap with hand lifted or planted. I play with tapping hand in air.
But does it actually help you go faster or is it just a personal preference? My main problem with this post or many other posts in this thread/even the whole subforum is that they're essentially promoting personal preferences as if they were the optimal and the most correct way of playing.
Flying Deer
I had this preference thing in mind in this thread as well, but my intention was to show possibilities.

There are a lot of variables that you can change in order to get better results in Osu. The problem is that there is no list anywhere of all these little things that you can change. Black background, dual tap, for streams only or all the time, offset, using a tablet, using headphones, remapping keys, using mouse buttons, dpi, etc.

Setting those variables is a matter of personal preference, but you need to be aware of them first. So the whole hand in the air thing is primarily meant as food for thought.
Skidayo
improve your iq to get brain power for alternating
dung eater
If your playing environment lets you, trying out differend ways to play can help with finding out how you want to play. A few weeks lets you know how something feels. Try starting streams/singletapping with your other finger, too. It's fun to switch up how you tapwhile playing.
Fxjlk
Have fun with it. Play with two fingers every now and then and if you get tired go back to old habits.

Persist with trying out two fingers until it becomes natural and it will become a permanent skill
DXPOHIHIHI
Anyone here use that tapping technique instead of single tap and can give some advices ?
Everyone
Flying Deer
If anyone happens to be at the point where 3.3 stars would be challenging, I recommend trying Busdriver - Imaginary Places (soiplox's script, 3.3 stars) for dual tap practice.
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1344602&m=0
Playing it yesterday reminded me that this was my first "stream" map, and the streams come early on, so you don't waste much time before you can practice that.
In the bigger picture, those "streams" are quite slow, but for a low 3 stars, the whole map is actually pretty fast compared to the usual 2-3 stars maps, so it should be an excellent map to get used to dual tapping. I don't believe the OP would benefit from this, however. ^^
It's best to start dual tapping as early as possible in your Osu career, in my not so humble opinion.
Pozy
Work your way up the star difficutly bu only alternating. It will just tick in your head eventually, i learned alternating bu just doing it for fun over a long time really xd
WarauOtakuX3
So you want to tap Z and X alternativetly?
Try using the tutorial or using slow maps
Topic Starter
Abie
I've pretty much learned it in less than a week weirdly. Thanks for all the advices :D

At first I was playing 4 stars songs while alterning.. but It became quickly boring. So I just started to play fast songs ( 6 and 7 stars ) and it came naturally. Now I can finish songs like quaver and other 6 stars songs that I couldn't before.