forum

What led you to start posting in Off-Topic?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DaddyCoolVipper
A lot of people have been complaining about the lack of activity lately, so I decided to go ahead and ask what actually brought us all here in the first place.

Personally I remember seeing a lot of big threads that were enjoyable to post in, like Confess, as well as a fair amount of memes. I think ITT has this kind of appeal.

The thing I'm most curious about is the most recent generation of shitposters. If we know what brought them here, maybe we can re-create that environment for a future generation...

abraker
Are you trying to break OT? Because this how you break OT.
levesterz
I came to Ot cause g&r is kinda cancer sometime
[-CeMAqpOP-]kee
spell negus
Achromalia
got bored

wanted to meet people

thats about it.
abraker
Well, while reality falls apart as it comes to terms that DCV posted, I'll talk about why I am here and why I post.

I first came here about 3 years ago and found this place interesting in the sense you get to joke around and do pretty much anything normal forums wouldn't normally around. Think of it as break time during school where you get to go around talking with your friends, getting out of seat and all that as opposed to the normal strict environment. Tho when I first came here I recall people being hostile, like you would normally shit and troll a total noob. But eventually I got used it and began making my own threads.

Some took effort and were pretty bad, others a bit less but got blocked by a troll. Once more new folks came by, older folks started being less active and allowed me to insert myself and be more creative with them. For example, Blitzfrog's "deez nuts on your chin" thing prompted me to see him in a negative light and so I shit on him, which then evolved into a subject of many roasting memes and fun bashing. We eventually became friends and worked together on ot!neus.

Well now there are less people willing to go that far, if not at all. I am always here, waiting for someone to become regular. A regular which would partake in nonsense. Nonsense which would evolve into memes. Memes which we interact with. Interaction with causes us to form bonds. Bonds that allow us to collaborate to make something bigger. That's how I see it, at least.

Random -> Regular -> Nonsense shitposting -> Memes -> Interaction -> Bonds -> Collaboration
                  ^ OT currently never goes beyond this point

Serrai may kick it to the memes stage occasionally, but nobody picks up upon it.

I enjoy some internal meme aspects OT created for itself over time. The "OT always shit" and "How to Quality" posts are a phenomena I find amusing. It's like partaking in this act that plays out naturally and has great replay value. I always go meta and try to link various parts of OT to create a bigger picture of how it's just one big act in progress. The protagonist struggle to make things more quality, the antagonistic random peasants that keep killing that quality, and the oldfags 3rd party which doesn't seem to give a fuck. I just keep playing this game, that's all. I realized that this more than just subforum when the OT civil war came about.
DJ Enetro
I was led here by Blitzfrog, that’s all I know tbh.
yuhaii
I actually forgot. The first thing I remember is starting to post in FG and going out to actual off topic
Naimae
META THREADS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
DXPOHIHIHI
Roblox
Aoba
uhhh wow it's been a while since i've posted on osu!
i started posting in off topic around two years ago because i wasn't good anything else on the forums except being away from any logical topic
maybe someday i'll get back in here and start mapping.... OTL
Endaris
Some people from the GnR community started to advance their shitposting efforts to OT and started referencing things from OT in their posts.
That's how I got here.
E m i
my life revolves around osu in a very specific way where i'm still too lazy to play the game so i just post random stuff on the forums and in this case OT

that's the general idea but

Endaris wrote:

Some people from the GnR community started to advance their shitposting efforts to OT and started referencing things from OT in their posts.
That's how I got here.
this is LITERALLY how it happened
Serraionga
Part I - The Sinking Ship
Spanish mods turned my dear Spanish sub into a mess. It got heavily restrictive about rules to the point where I (nor other people) couldn't even post without getting warnings. In that cursed place you can't create threads for anything unless they're MASSIVE contributions to the subforum itself (or tournaments), you can't swear at all (your posts get deleted if so/you get warnings about it, no matter what), you can't create forum games without their permission, you're forced to post "big" images into spoilers (a rule that no one seems to be bothered with anymore) and don't even get me started about shitposting rules lol. We literally had only 1 thread to shitpost in, but recently mods started making up arbitrary rules such as "don't spam too much" even though the original thread never had such a rule (it enforces the opposite, actually) and it's been proven countless times they freak out when they see over 2 posts they deem as "nonsensical", which proves not only that they're biased but that their deleting-post spree is quite unnecessary. Instead of seeing it as a spam-containtment thread (because no rules were ""broken"" in any other thread but that one), they decided to lock it for good, which caused some of the "spam" to move into other threads. Yay.

We is Spanish, we is Very intelligent beings xd xD XD

Part II - The Arrival
"Time to pack things up and start getting familiar with Off-Topic, because these people with power turned my favourite sub into a huge pile of shit." I said to myself.
My friends at the Spanish sub can't English for shit, so I would have to go all alone. It would be like a fresh start, in a way. I remember posting in OT like once, back in 2015, but I couldn't remember anything about their rules, their users and all that stuff. I also can't remember what made me post there that day. Then, February 2017 happened. I came to OT and saw all the differences right away: threads created at sanic speeds, swearing allowed, no stupid rules that got in my way of posting, there was nothing like that at all. Plenty of dumb posts were made at the time, so I thought to myself what would be the best approach for this kind of situation. Should I act and behave like a normal human being? No, something "better" just came to my mind at the time. It would be best to start doing what I was really good at: posting a certain annoying mem[(/3kk5m)fd8//+$var++4(/

Error: cannot access history2_2.cfg. The rest of the history is missing.
johnmedina999

Serraionga wrote:

Part I - The Sinking Ship
Spanish mods turned my dear Spanish sub into a mess. It got heavily restrictive about rules to the point where I (nor other people) couldn't even post without getting warnings. In that cursed place you can't create threads for anything unless they're MASSIVE contributions to the subforum itself (or tournaments), you can't swear at all (your posts get deleted if so/you get warnings about it, no matter what), you can't create forum games without their permission, you're forced to post "big" images into spoilers (a rule that no one seems to be bothered with anymore) and don't even get me started about shitposting rules lol. We literally had only 1 thread to shitpost in, but recently mods started making up arbitrary rules such as "don't spam too much" even though the original thread never had such a rule (it enforces the opposite, actually) and it's been proven countless times they freak out when they see over 2 posts they deem as "nonsensical", which proves not only that they're biased but that their deleting-post spree is quite unnecessary. Instead of seeing it as a spam-containtment thread (because no rules were ""broken"" in any other thread but that one), they decided to lock it for good, which caused some of the "spam" to move into other threads. Yay.

We is Spanish, we is Very intelligent beings xd xD XD

Part II - The Arrival
"Time to pack things up and start getting familiar with Off-Topic, because these people with power turned my favourite sub into a huge pile of shit." I said to myself.
My friends at the Spanish sub can't English for shit, so I would have to go all alone. It would be like a fresh start, in a way. I remember posting in OT like once, back in 2015, but I couldn't remember anything about their rules, their users and all that stuff. I also can't remember what made me post there that day. Then, February 2017 happened. I came to OT and saw all the differences right away: threads created at sanic speeds, swearing allowed, no stupid rules that got in my way of posting, there was nothing like that at all. Plenty of dumb posts were made at the time, so I thought to myself what would be the best approach for this kind of situation. Should I act and behave like a normal human being? No, something "better" just came to my mind at the time. It would be best to start doing what I was really good at: posting a certain annoying mem[(/3kk5m)fd8//+$var++4(/

Incredible story! Glad you made that decision. It's good to have you here.
johnmedina999
New page HAHA I STOLE IT
johnmedina999
As for me, I found this game from a gameplay video and started playing it. I wanted to post about my progress and stuff one month after I started playing the game but I didn't really find any place to post it. G&R was full of STD stuff and osu!mania was filled with pros that are like #30 or higher, so I didn't feel comfortable. Then I found OT, a place where you can post pretty much anything, so I stuck around.
abraker

Serraionga wrote:

Who stores history in a config file?
Mara
I wish I could remember.
Tae
Started in FG and OT seemed chill at the time. ITT was active and a lot of people seemed close to each other.
Ashton
It was a year or two ago when I wanted free supporter so I asked here. Then I got hooked.
Pozy
Boredom...
Armin
well, a wi-fi connection
E m i

johnmedina999 wrote:

G&R was full of STD
well i guess
abraker

Momiji wrote:

johnmedina999 wrote:

G&R was full of STD
well i guess
lol
roshan117
i was new at the game and wanted ppl to talk to, plus a way to vent from growing tensions irl
yungspirit_old
idk
Jemzuu
B o r e d o m
Saturnalize

Mara wrote:

I wish I could remember.
ColdTooth
Wow.. I wish I could remember how dumb I was back in the day. I look back at myself and ask "why did I get involved" or "what made me do this".

To be fair, I was probably just exploring.
just x
Lack of a social life and friends.