forum

Need Essays Proofread ?

posted
Total Posts
show more
ash
i disapprove of this topic considering writing ability is measured solely by the writer's writing ability
if you have someone on the internet telling you what is wrong or what sounds wrong and giving you "corrections" to "fix" it without the writer's full understanding it sort of ruins the point, considering you're supposed to be able to find these errors on your own

i mean seriously, writing couldn't be any easier; providing a metaphoric crutch for it will not help the writer currently being "helped"
Topic Starter
ThePassingShadow
I would prefer that this thread no longer be criticised.

If you do not agree with it, get over yourself and stop posting to me about it. This is for people who would like my help. Not whiners who think that I should not help people proofread their essays.

The more you post in here against me, the more this topic gets bumped back up for people to see it and submit their essays. The best thing you can do to 'stop' this thread is to not post in it.

You are not going to change my mind with your posts. Cease your feeble attempts, please.

Moving on; essays, anyone ?
MaxwellDemon

phill wrote:

Don't listen to these jerks, it's a good idea ThePassingShadow.

Second, third, fourth, nth opinions are always worthwile, no matter how confident you are.
QFT

And about proofreading being cheating... sorry, but if you don't find someone to check your essay, that is, to be honest, your lost for not making use of the resources available. It's like saying calculators are for cheaters in a calculus exam, those that choose to not use it are just selling themselves short in time and at quality of work.

Anywho, I'll be monitoring this thread. TPS offered to proofread essays, not to have people jeer at him. Anymore attempts to throw this topic off would be deleted. ;X
awp
I don't think we're measuring writing ability in this thread. I'd actually be inclined to have a soon-to-be 4000 word paper proofread but it's being proof'd in class as part of the process anyhow.

This thread is a good thing.

btw how much is too much? Is a 160,000 word file "no way I'm proofing that"?
Topic Starter
ThePassingShadow

awp wrote:

I don't think we're measuring writing ability in this thread. I'd actually be inclined to have a soon-to-be 4000 word paper proofread but it's being proof'd in class as part of the process anyhow.

This thread is a good thing.

btw how much is too much? Is a 160,000 word file "no way I'm proofing that"?
With sizes of 4000 words, I could probably proof the whole thing, but it might take a while. One hundred and sixty-thousand words is too much, I'm afraid.

I prefer that when a long paper is submitted to me, the person submitting the paper admits weaknesses in their writing or specifies certain paragraphs that they feel should be checked over or improved.

A <1000 word paper will be the easiest; it can be read in its entirety and proofread in a very short amount of time.

I suppose I did not make it clear earlier, but my intent is mostly for younger students (pre-college), but I can proofread college essays as well.

I am very swamped with preparing a presentation for my AP Language and Composition class tomorrow, so I do not want to spend time doing it tonight, but when I have time I will edit my original post with better details for this thread.
phill_old
Sorry if I sound negative about this thread, but I consider this cheating. Especially if the essay is for an English lesson.
i disapprove of this topic considering writing ability is measured solely by the writer's writing ability
I don't want to be insulting to either of you, but if you're at a level with your writing where the primary assessment is on it's quality, not it's content, then just stay out of this thread. In any case, if having a second person proof reading your English essay is going to be considered cheating by whomever is marking it, then it's upto you not to have it proofread. Simple.

I think you both have some misconceptions about what proofreading actually involves. It's simply checking for errors, in both spelling and grammar. I find it usually extends beyond that into looking for inconsistency in your writing style and most people have suggestions on better wording for readability, but those are editing issues.

There is very little written work that should not be atleast proofread, if not edited with someone else.
Topic Starter
ThePassingShadow

phill wrote:

Sorry if I sound negative about this thread, but I consider this cheating. Especially if the essay is for an English lesson.
I don't want to be insulting to either of you, but if you're at a level with your writing where the primary assessment is on it's quality, not it's content, then just stay out of this thread. In any case, if having a second person proof reading your English essay is going to be considered cheating by whomever is marking it, then it's upto you not to have it proofread. Simple.

I think you both have some misconceptions about what proofreading actually involves. It's simply checking for errors, in both spelling and grammar. I find it usually extends beyond that into looking for inconsistency in your writing style and most people have suggestions on better wording for readability, but those are editing issues.

There is very little written work that should not be atleast proofread, if not edited with someone else.
Thank you, phill.

I will put more detail into my definition of 'proofread' when I edit my original post, but I do mean that I will check for writing style issues and wording issues. Writing to suit the reader of your paper is key.
Slain087
I like this topic, and wish to render my assistance for longer essays. While I'm not as proficient in finding weaknesses, I can handle most common errors, citing, and topic relevance.

Download: Marie - My Silly Days (gregar55) [Shuna's Insane].osu
RemmyX25

ThePassingShadow wrote:

I suppose I did not make it clear earlier, but my intent is mostly for younger students (pre-college), but I can proofread college essays as well.
bwahahahaa

Sorry, I had to. My essays (despite my college age and location) are pretty much Pre-College essays. You'll have no problem, my friend.
YoshiKart
Hey, TPS, do you think I could send you my essay (PM) on Monday, around 4PM Eastern Time Zone, and you proofread it by about 7PM and give a few suggestions?
Topic Starter
ThePassingShadow
YoshiKart sent me my first essay to proofread. Thank you for participating.

However, I failed to proofread his essay on time due to unforeseen family circumstances. He submitted the essay to me approximately one day before he needed the proofing to be completed.

This is a perfect example of what may happen when essays are submitted to me last-minute.

I prefer that essays are submitted at least two to three days in advance. That way, I have sufficient time to proof them accurately and avoid accidents that may make it so that I cannot proof them on time.

That being said, it is always possible that I will not have time to proof your essay. However, I will do my best and I hope that this is the last time that I will be unable to complete a proofing on time.
YoshiKart
:P

I think your grade estimate helped me slightly anyway. I had to correct some citations and fix some sentences, but it wasn't that different from the one I gave you.

Sorry I couldn't "hand it in" earlier. I didn't exactly have free time on Friday/Saturday, so Sunday was my only day. -_-

Still, I thank you for trying. I really appreciate it. ^_^

shinn_old
Heck, my English has always been crap. I'm also doing my GCSE, so I'll upload stuff here constantly.
RemmyX25
TPS, just a heads up...

If theres anytime before my class, I'm hitting you up later.
shinn_old
Here you go, essay needs proof read. (My english is gay...)

And also, can anyone give me ideas, this is a pain in the ass

Download: Travelogue.doc

Download: Tritsch-Tratsch-Polka - Always Smiling - DDR Mario Mix (Kurizu529) [Easy].osu
Topic Starter
ThePassingShadow

shinn wrote:

Here you go, essay needs proof read. (My english is gay...)

And also, can anyone give me ideas, this is a pain in the ass
Will get to work on it tomorrow.

I read a bit of it already, and your English is just a little misused in places. I'll correct it.
Topic Starter
ThePassingShadow
shinn: Your story has been edited to fix your English and word usage.

There were several problems with passive voice, subject-verb agreement, and parallel structure. I've fixed these.

I highlighted areas of the story that confused me or that I thought needed to be changed, but changed by you rather than me. The ending is fairly clever, but could probably be improved. The entire 'middle' of the story could be further developed and made longer as well as the end. It seems your story gets less detailed as it progresses.

Otherwise, not a bad job. I've attached my corrections and comments. Look for the yellow.

Download: Travelogue.doc
shinn_old
Thanks for Proof reading my essay.

Don't worry, there's gonna be quite a bit of upload going on as I progress on with GCSE
chan
Interesting thread, willing to chip in as soon as exams are over (heck, maybe even before then!). Maybe I can help when TPS is unavailable.
Topic Starter
ThePassingShadow
I'll be glad to have your help, Chan.

Let me know when your exams are over and then I suppose whoever sees requests for essays first will post letting the other know that he is starting to work on it.
shinn_old
Sorry for the quick reply, I need this proof read by tomorrow File will be attached asap :(EDIT File uploaded)

Download: King Schahriar Tom Chan.doc
Slain087
Sorry, accidentally downloaded it twice.

I don't know about some of the edits I had made, so use the ones I did to your discretion. If you're at all confused as to why I changed a word or separated sentences or something, just ask me and I'll explain it.

Download: King Schahriar Tom Chan(slainedit).doc
shinn_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
chan
oh man
if you can wait, i will add further edits. i just gotta install office 03, since my trial office 07 expired. d'oh!
Cuddlebun
Oh God I wish I had found this thread a looong time ago. My AP European History teacher makes us write so many essays it's not even funny.

Unfortunately I can't take advantage of your services for the essays we're writing this week (I would end up sending you them on Thursday, and they're due Friday), but TPS would you be interested in helping me out next semester? I usually get 90s on my essays for weird reasons/faulty thesis statements/I have no idea.
Topic Starter
ThePassingShadow

Todesengal wrote:

Oh God I wish I had found this thread a looong time ago. My AP European History teacher makes us write so many essays it's not even funny.

Unfortunately I can't take advantage of your services for the essays we're writing this week (I would end up sending you them on Thursday, and they're due Friday), but TPS would you be interested in helping me out next semester? I usually get 90s on my essays for weird reasons/faulty thesis statements/I have no idea.
I'd be willing to help, of course.

I got As in AP European History last year, so I'm fairly knowledgeable about the subject.
Seibei4211
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Keyboard_old
I don't got nothing.
2 double negative *hint hint*
Cuddlebun
You obviously 'got' a faulty grasp on grammar, which TPS will have to correct in your essays.

dumbass

...just kidding I love you
shinn_old

Download: Compare and Contrast the main female characters of Scheherazade and Madam Loisel in.docx

Download: 2008_12_10.zip
Seibei4211
Sucks to be you guys. I got, like, a tenth of the amount of essays you guys get. Hoohoo~
shinn_old

Seibei4211 wrote:

Sucks to be you guys. I got, like, a tenth of the amount of essays you guys get. Hoohoo~
GCSE English :(

2 yrs of Coursework jammed into 1 year...
Cuddlebun
AP European History :(

I swear to God we write so many fucking essays about social changes. No one cares about Europe's social changes dammit.
Slain087
Man, those tenses looked right when I was proofreading it...
Topic Starter
ThePassingShadow

Todesengal wrote:

AP European History :(

I swear to God we write so many fucking essays about social changes. No one cares about Europe's social changes dammit.
Heh, they're so much fun...

On a side note, I have my computer back and I am on break, so you can send me rows of essays now.

Not that anyone should have to write essays at this time of year...
shinn_old

Slain087 wrote:

Teacher goes like

English Teacher wrote:

FUCKING BASTARDS, PROOF READ BEFORE HANDING IN YOUR WORK (I swear it was written on the comments)
shinn_old

Slain087 wrote:

I need it in present tense, also, deadline @ 7/1/09 1.20 PM GMT+8

Translation- I really need it ASAP!

Anything else that is needed please PM ME! I CAN PROCESS REQUEST BY 10 PM GMT+8
Topic Starter
ThePassingShadow
Topic is dead. I figured people would be coming with more essays with the coming semester.
Starrodkirby86
Oh, so does that mean we can't give any future essays to the hands of you fellows? If so, then all right...one less peer review for me. ._.; But there aren't essays I've been assigned with anyway...=/

Or are you saying it's dead/inactive at the moment, and you'll be figuring that there will be more essays coming soon? I'm not quite getting anything. Then again it's the night and my brain is off. xD
Cuddlebun
The problem is I write essays the night before they're due. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now. I'm writing three APEURO essays that are due on Thursday and a APUSH that's also due on Thursday.

sowwy
show more