forum

what is the hardest star level threshold to get through?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Liyuu
well as the title suggest what is the hardest star level threshold to get through? i just got interested for no reason ;-; i really don't know why but yeah what i mean is like going from 3-4* is harder than 2-3* something like that and this will be opinion based since everyone grows or is better than other things than other people
Shoy
1* -> 2* : Easy.
2* -> 3* : Looked quite hard for me at start, went through by playing 2* maps in HRDT.
3* -> 4* : First real wall I hit in osu! actually.
4* -> 5* : Well, things start to be kinda serious.

Comin' to 6 stars, I can't say, seen I don't pass.

But if I have to resume :

2* : Density object ~1.
3* : "Oh baby it's triple" + Density object > 1 = Maps which start to really follow the music.
4* : Jump, jump, streaaaaaaaaam, jump, jump, streaaaaaaaam. Jump, jump, jump, streaaaaaam.
5* : Jump faster, stream faster, get some finger control.

You can still clear 4* even if you're not good at anything. I would say you can still clear it even if you're bad at something (in my case : stamina).
For 5* you don't have to be excellent at anything, but you really need huge basics everywhere : Aim, Stamina, fingers control, reading abilities. Missing one badly results in a map failure.
So my answer will be 4* -> 5*, 'cause it seems to be the biggest gap to me.
pandaBee
Depends on the person. I've seen people ignore the front door and just straight out walk through the walls. Other people are not so fortunate.
Kishuya
for me I rushed through things so..
1* = 1.5 mins...
2* = half a week?
3*= 2 weeks 3 days
4*= 27 days
5*= 1 month 3 days (till I did my first 6*)
6*= I switch between 5.5* and 6*
Railey2
As other people here correctly observed, it gets exponentially harder the better you get. The more you play, the higher the walls you will face, until one day you're at the wall that you can't breach. 4-5 is less tough than 5-6, which in turn is less tough than 6-7, and so on. The hardest "wall" so far is 8-9*, granted there are only a few people who are on that level. Nobody really plays 10* stuff.
KupcaH

Railey2 wrote:

As other people here correctly observed, it gets exponentially harder the better you get. The more you play, the higher the walls you will face, until one day you're at the wall that you can't breach. 4-5 is less tough than 5-6, which in turn is less tough than 6-7, and so on. The hardest "wall" so far is 8-9*, granted there are only a few people who are on that level. Nobody really plays 10* stuff.
This guy knows
pandaBee
I still can't play 5*+
feels bad. kappa.
o my crippled fingers
Ninonuko
Things got significantly harder on 6* from my own experience...

1* : skip.
2* : skip.
3* : this is where I started playing, exactly 3.7*.
4* : stopped playing online, what I've done is spamming crazy map at that time (3 years ago) like talent shredder, adult's toy, etc in offline. I started to rarely play online to farm 4* around 6 months later or so (can't remember correctly) and that time I've been playing for 1 year. Almost fc'd unlimitation (6.12*) at this point which was my first 200+ pp at that time.
tl;dr I started to develop unbalanced skillset here.
5* : kinda have a hard time here, can only fc less jumpy map mostly stream.
6* : lacking aim hold me back from progressing any further, at least now this is star diff I supposed to farm currently. I have been stuck at 6* for around 2 years already.
7* : I'm crying... so far I could only get A on several maps that really compliment my skillset.
8* : fked up real bad...

I don't have good improvement record anyway lol... good at nothing but raw stamina, can't even properly aim no mod hitorigoto at this level.
ManuelOsuPlayer
The real spike level it's at 8*.
I get into start passing 7* maps consistenly just by building muscle memory and hands coordination without spend tons of effort on It, just playing that diffs for a while having fun and mashing a little until i start feel confortable playing them well, nothing else.
Trying ranked 8* you need everything. Control, speed, acc, high ar reading, stamina, precision, rhythm sense, patterns knowledge...
I pass from A and B scores at 7* maps to D scores and diying over and over at 8* Halftime.
It's like try to play 6* when you're starting the game at 2*.
mulraf
depends on what you call "get through". well, all in all it's usually as railey2 said, harder exponentially. but if it's passing then you have to ignore airman in the calculation, maybe even easier than any ranked 6* out there to pass ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
E m i
i passed toumei elegy before i passed airman 8-)
Akanagi

Aquivery wrote:

well as the title suggest what is the hardest star level threshold to get through? i just got interested for no reason ;-; i really don't know why but yeah what i mean is like going from 3-4* is harder than 2-3* something like that and this will be opinion based since everyone grows or is better than other things than other people
Naturally you will always find it harder to advance even further, the more experienced you get. So we can assume the jump from 10* to 11* is harder than b4 and so on..

However, there is another "learning curve" when talking about the styles in mapping. Harder maps are becoming more common, while maintaining the current mapping style. So while a 6* is harder than a 5* obviously, it doesn't change too much in the style it is mapped.

Going from 4* to 5* feels very challenging for that reason. Mainly because the 4* is full of all kinds of mapping styles and BPMs, you have some 2009 stuff there all the way up to 2018, while the majority of 5* don't feature a lot of maps from the older days.

The mapping style in 5* is often less linear and less symmetrical, so most maps from like 2014-2018 are typically very similar in how they are mapped.
5* also starts throwing a big amount of AR9,X and OD8-OD8,5 at you, so you find yourself having to readjust to the slightly faster AR (seeing as most 4* are just AR8-9) and different patterns.

Some of the 5* also throw cross-screen jumps at you, which you pretty much never see in any 4* map, unless maybe it's an ultra low BPM. 1/4 snaps also become more common.

That being said, I'm pretty sure there will be more than enough people who can play 5* consistently, who will struggle to make the jump back to 4*, playing all the weird and dense CS5-6 AR7-8 maps.
abraker
If you have a shit mouse like me, I'd say 4*. And by shit mouse, imagine the cursor randomly moving in some direction and mouse drift is through the roof.
Fxjlk
I still cant play 4*
kai99
im stuck at 5* and will be stuck here for another year tbh
ZeroxPlaysOsu
I'm currently trying to start playing 6*. I can say that out of all other difficulty I've played so far, it's the most challenging to master
Vuelo Eluko
5-6 is pretty much the the great filter, unless you're cranking out a bare minimum of 3k plays a month consistently and are focused on challenging maps I don't think it's going to happen. 6* is also where flaws in your setup or playstyle aspects like your grip can start to show..

Speaking in terms of fcing of course, passing 6* means nothing since star rating reflects fc difficulty, pass difficulty is a combination of drain time, hp #, and how the difficulty is distributed.

going from 3* to 5* fc's can be fairly fast, woobowiz managed it in something like 4-5 months?
dung eater
Where you are stck now. It should be always harder as you go forward unless you make it easier for yourself
Kayy
I went fairly fast to 3* maps, where was stuck for the longest time. When I finally got to 4* maps I got to 5* pretty fast. After that I kinda stopped trying to go for higher maps and just started playing maps I enjoy playing, no matter what *
Aegyo
hey i can pass 8* but cant fc 6*
Topic Starter
Liyuu
oh crud i guess my journey just actually began......

but ey i passed airman with 67.6 acc fite me
oh and i can curently fc 4.9 star maps with Cold green Eyes (Divine) being an exception (i choke every single time there)
as for 5 stars well im a choke god