forum

Osu Jargons?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
plopop0
to save for the ones googling:
Jargon - special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand.
basically the Acc, bpm or any terminology mostly used in this game

I started osu from just the replays in youtube and my friends playing it and I couldn't understand why they play it so much but seeing them that good made me play it. I've been playing for 2 months and I recently played Multiplayer because can't imagine how that would work, but turns out they rank it in real time, so cool. Anyway I've been seeing so much chat about 100s and choke? and aim? and host rot???? an many more i guess that I can't even relate, so I need help. I wanna learn all the words and language of this game lol.
kartonrealista
100s are 100s. The ones you get during gameplay after you hit a circle inaccurately or not complete a slider. Choke is when you miss/sliderbreak somewhere at the end of the map and thus ruin the FC (full combo). Aim is what it sounds like. The ability to aim the hitobjects well. Host rotation is simply passing the host on the person below you in the lobby, so everyone gets to pick a map.
In general look up the wiki, it's accessible on the pink bar here on the website.
pandaBee
I feel sorry for people who are incapable of learning this on their own. I really do. We need an osu welfare program to reach out to these unfortunate souls.
KupcaH
Play more find friends and you'll understand all these terms. It would be much enjoyable to find it that way.
extravagance
Never be afraid to ask. we were all there at some point. When i had to ask what FC meant, everyone was confused, but none were mean. This community is very friendly compared to DOTA or LoL.
pandaBee

ambinate wrote:

This community is very friendly compared to DOTA or LoL.
This is a single player game
mulraf
i play for over 6 years and i have no idea how to seperate a 1/3 map from any other map ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
after playing for 3 years i still referred to the difficulties as "easy, normal, hard" etc. while everyone else used the star-rating ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
what the hell is a ..... kick..slider? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

who cares. host rotation is an important term since people will be annoyed if you don't pass the host when it says host rotation. (just right click on the name of the player below you in the list and click on "transfer host privileges" or something along those lines). but other than that it'll come as you play more and get involved with the game. if somethings important you can google it... or you know... just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ shrug it off.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Why don't you ask directly to the people what are using the words?
clayton
don't be afraid to ask in chat, people will help you out :D you can find some more common terms in the glossary, though that's by no means an exhaustive list

seems like the replies before me answered your questions, but feel free to post more or pm me if you come across any others that you don't know :)
jungjushee

pandaBee wrote:

ambinate wrote:

This community is very friendly compared to DOTA or LoL.
This is a single player game
Based on the fact that there is multiplayer matches and a community driven forum, this is both a multi and single player game, not just one or the other.
pandaBee

chase55t wrote:

pandaBee wrote:

Based on the fact that there is multiplayer matches and a community driven forum, this is both a multi and single player game, not just one or the other.
There are 'multiplayer' aspects to this game but really it all boils down to single player, single user. So technically i'm wrong, but really I'm not. Even multiplayer plays like a single player game.

After all, multiplayer is just a group of single player instances run side by side to compare scores, they're not directly interfering with one another as you would in say CS GO or League. It's like playing a racing game against yourself with 7 other tv monitors each with their own screen and player(s). Technically its labeled as multiplayer, but conceptually it's just multiple instances of single player.

I don't think a community driven forum has anything to do with it. There are plenty of single player games with community driven forums. Any driven forum is community driven.
Railey2
info about maps
bpm = beats per minute
sr = star rating
diff = difficulty (e.g. hard diff, insane diff, extra diff)
pp = performance points

info about plays
acc = accuracy
ur = unstable rate (Unstable rate represents the consistency of the timing of the hits, where lower numbers are better (top players often score below 100)
cv. UR = converted ur (ur is calculated differentely for DT-maps, so you convert it to make a comparison possible)
sb = slider break
shitmiss = random shitty miss on a section that you could easily fc
fc = full combo
choke = fucking up your fc in an easy section

mods
hd = hidden
hr = hard rock
nc = nightcore
dt = doubletime
ht = half time
fl = flashlight
ez = easy
nf = nofail
Topic Starter
plopop0

Railey2 wrote:

info about maps
bpm = beats per minute
sr = star rating
diff = difficulty (e.g. hard diff, insane diff, extra diff)
pp = performance points

info about plays
acc = accuracy
ur = unstable rate (Unstable rate represents the consistency of the timing of the hits, where lower numbers are better (top players often score below 100)
cv. UR = converted ur (ur is calculated differentely for DT-maps, so you convert it to make a comparison possible)
sb = slider break
shitmiss = random shitty miss on a section that you could easily fc
fc = full combo
choke = fucking up your fc in an easy section

mods
hd = hidden
hr = hard rock
nc = nightcore
dt = doubletime
ht = half time
fl = flashlight
ez = easy
nf = nofail
Thank you, You're useful
Edgar_Figaro

pandaBee wrote:

There are 'multiplayer' aspects to this game but really it all boils down to single player, single user. So technically i'm wrong, but really I'm not. Even multiplayer plays like a single player game.

After all, multiplayer is just a group of single player instances run side by side to compare scores, they're not directly interfering with one another as you would in say CS GO or League. It's like playing a racing game against yourself with 7 other tv monitors each with their own screen and player(s). Technically its labeled as multiplayer, but conceptually it's just multiple instances of single player.

I don't think a community driven forum has anything to do with it. There are plenty of single player games with community driven forums. Any driven forum is community driven.
There is tag-team and tag-team vs that do cause players to have more direct outcome on other players.

In general though if you want to distinguish Osu! Vs stuff like League or other games is the style of multiplayer.

League is a Multiplayer Direct Competition
Osu! Is a Multuplayer Indirect Competition

Kinda like comparing football=Direct Competition while bowling=indirect competition
pandaBee
Tag team is mp yes. But then again noone plays it.
Fxjlk
MMO's are single player unless they have pvp interactions
pandaBee

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

MMO's are single player unless they have pvp interactions
That's completely wrong though.
Fxjlk
There are 'multiplayer' aspects to MMO's but really it all boils down to single player, single user. So technically i'm wrong, but really I'm not.

After all, MMO's are just a group of single player characters killing mobs and leveling, they're not directly interfering with one another as you would in say CS GO or League. It's like playing a racing game against yourself with 1000 other tv monitors each with their own screen and player(s). Technically its labeled as multiplayer, but conceptually it's just multiple instances of single player.
pandaBee
Except it's not. Other people's actions directly influence your own in real time. PvE is often done in groups. Even if you're a solo player in a non-pvp server you're still affected by the market rates (an economy driven by the playerbase) as well as the density of players in whatever hunting grounds you choose.
If you're a craftsman then you're also interacting with both the market and other players as well.
Why do you think MMO stands for Massive MULTIPLAYER online game?
Fxjlk
In osu multiplayer the scores in game of other players directly influence your ranking in real time. Why do you think they call it a MULTIPLAYER mode?

There are 'multiplayer' aspects to trading but really it all boils down to single player, single user. So technically i'm wrong, but really I'm not.

After all, trading is just a group of single users interacting with a collection of fluctuating prices determined by supply and demand, they're not directly interfering with one another as you would in say CS GO or League. It's like playing a racing game against yourself with 1000 other tv monitors each with their own screen and player(s). Technically trading is multi user, but conceptually it's just multiple instances of single users.
pandaBee
I've already addressed that point. It is technically a multiplayer mode but it is not a true multiplayer because the interactions between players are instanced and don't directly influence one another. The ranking comparison alone is not enough to make it a true multiplayer, otherwise you would count singleplayer as multiplayer as well.

MMOs do facilitate direct interaction between players that affects gameplay. The fluctuating prices you mentioned are determined by supply and demand but who sets the supply and who generates the demand? The players do of course. They are directly influencing one another in the marketplace. Trades take place between two consenting parties, there has to be a direct interaction between at least two players for such an incident to occur.
Fxjlk
Just cause they are instanced does not mean they do not effect one another. The mere fact of knowing your ranking compared to others is enough for there to be an interaction. People can choke because they are ahead. A ranking system does not make single player game multiplayer because they are not playing the same map simultaneously.

I used trading as an example because yes there is interaction but if you use your logic from beforehand and conceptualize any form of interaction as not real interaction and reconstruct it as just supply and demand then trading is not multi user when it actually is.

I think that for any game to be considered multiplayer the interactions don't have to be direct
pandaBee

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

Just cause they are instanced does not mean they do not effect one another. The mere fact of knowing your ranking compared to others is enough for there to be an interaction. People can choke because they are ahead
That exact same scenario occurs in Single player, there really isn't a distinction other than that you're playing the map at the same time.

I used trading as an example because yes there is interaction but if you use your logic from beforehand and conceptualize any form of interaction as not real interaction and reconstruct it as just supply and demand then trading is not multi user when it actually is.
I defined a true multiplayer setting as one where players directly influenced one another through their actions. Trading is one such occurrence of a setting where players directly influence one another's decisions.

If many players are selling a good for too much, you buy less.
If there are players selling for a very cheap amount, you buy more.

Clearly there is a distinction here between what a player does and how another player reacts.

I think that for any game to be considered multiplayer the interactions don't have to be direct
I never said that it isn't a multiplayer game, technically speaking it is.
Fxjlk

pandaBee wrote:

That exact same scenario occurs in Single player, there really isn't a distinction other than that you're playing the map at the same time.
There is a higher degree of comparison during multiplayer than playing single player because the scores are fluctuating in real time. The comparison is the multiplayer element which is magnified in the multiplayer mode.

pandaBee wrote:

I defined a true multiplayer setting as one where players directly influenced one another through their actions. Trading is one such occurrence of a setting where players directly influence one another's decisions.
If trading is direct then so is osu multiplayer. Your rank in the real time ranking directly influences other players performance.

Rank is the number that effects the performance of other players. Price is the number that effects the trading of other traders

pandaBee wrote:

I never said that it isn't a multiplayer game, technically speaking it is.
Yes but you also said that really its not
pandaBee
I mean, I've already explained my points. You're talking in circles at this point. You can believe whatever you want to believe 8-)
Fxjlk
My point was that whether players influences is direct or indirect does not make it less of a multiplayer game. For some reason you seem to think that if the interactions are not direct its not a real multiplayer game.

For a multiplayer game there has to be players playing together in the same game and that's it. How direct or how influential the interactions between each player are do not effect how much of a multiplayer game it is. If there is more players doesn't mean its more of a multiplayer game. Hell the players do not have to be playing at the same time for it to be a multiplayer game, e.g turn based strategy games

It may seem to you that osu multiplayer is a cheap multi instanced single player but that's not the whole picture. The multiplayer interaction is in the map choice, the real time ranking in game and of course the chat.
abraker
Girls, please, you both wrong. You can play offline, you can play online. osu! is neither single nor multiplayer, but somewhere on the scale between the two.
Fxjlk

abraker wrote:

Girls, please, you both wrong. You can play offline, you can play online. osu! is neither single nor multiplayer, but somewhere on the scale between the two.
no
abraker

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

abraker wrote:

no
And this is why we can't have nice things
extravagance
what have i started? i just wanted to help D:
Zozimoto

pandaBee wrote:

Tag team is mp yes. But then again noone plays it.
bitch i play it sometimes
show more