forum

Para's Puzzle Challenge 2 [In Progress]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Parachor

-=+=-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------=+=-

Welcome.

The sequel to Para's Puzzle Competition is here!

Do you enjoy puzzle solving? Working out problems in a team? Being placed against opponents in a mindbending race to the finish? If so, come join us!

[Signups are currently CLOSED]

-=+=-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------=+=-

About

Like before, this is a competition in which players compete in teams to solve a collection of puzzles before the other teams do, or to at least solve the most by the end of the time limit.

This thread is both for giving expressions of interest, and also to ask questions.
This post also holds the leaderboard, which will be kept up to date during the competition.

The staff for this event:
Hydria, Protastic101, Knif3rism, Lusty Platypus, Zeppy-lin, Raveille

Now here's where things get different

The first competition had participants solve 8 considerably large puzzles in the two week time limit. This time, I'm pushing it way further.

PPCII will have 35 puzzles to solve!

So how is this possible? For the most part, the size and complexity of the puzzles are much less. Some may even take only a few minutes to complete, though some may take a few days.

The puzzles are split into 5 sectors: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta and Omega. Each sector holds a certain difficulty range. Sector Alpha contains fairly straightforward puzzles, whereas Sector Omega holds the trickiest of the collection. To begin with, every team has access to the first puzzle in each sector. When you solve one correctly, you gain access to the next puzzle. This continues until the team has solved all 7, signifying that they have cleared that sector. The first team to clear all 5 sectors wins the competition!

Because of this new difficulty curve, teams should be able to make a lot more progress. This is to avoid what happened in the previous competition, where a lot of teams were unable to fully complete any of the puzzles because all of them were an instant high difficulty. Only having access to (at most) 5 puzzles at a time will hopefully make teams less overwhelmed when the competition starts.

The kinds of puzzles you will face will also be different!

Before, all 8 puzzles came in the form of an image and teams had to derive a word from it using a whole range of techniques, from codebreaking to general knowledge sequences, from discrete mathematics to origami, and so on.

This time, the puzzles aren't just restricted to images, and use an even wider range of techniques to solve. There's even some interactive ones in there!

FAQ

Q. How many people do I need in my team?
A. Players must form a team of 2 or 3 people. Larger teams will be asked to split, and solitary players must at least find a partner.

Q. When does the competition start?
A. Signups are planned to stay open until the 1st of Feburary. This may change depending on the amount of people that sign up, but everyone will be given plenty of notice if there are changes.

Q. How many puzzles? How long is the time limit?
A. 35 puzzles, 2 Weeks to solve. This time limit may be extended if progress is particularly slow.

Q. Will teams need to use the internet to solve them?
A. Yes. There is no way to win this competition without using research at some point.

Q. Where will the players communicate?
A. There is a Discord server for this competition in which each team also have their own private room and voice chat. You must use Discord to participate in this event. After signing up, I will invite the team to the server.

Q. Are there team captains? Team names?
A. No captains this time. Team names are still a thing, but please make sure that your name does not contain something offensive or inappropriate. I can tell when teams try to circumvent this.

Q. I don't think I'm any good at puzzles :( Should I still join?
A. When it comes to this event, what's more important than ability is determination. If you're the kind of person to give up as soon as things get difficult, or when you get stuck, I'd advise you to sit out of this one. However, if you're the kind of person who doesn't give up, and who enjoys a challenge, this event is for you, regardless of puzzle-solving ability!

Q. So... will the puzzles be as ridiculously hard/obtuse as the last ones?
A. Hopefully not. The much smaller size will likely help avoid this, as well as the difficulty curve that everything is designed around. I put a lot of time into trying to make the puzzles approachable. The only issue that will likely arise is when there is an error, in which case I can easily fix it and send out new versions to the people with access to it.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me or simply post it in this thread!

Prize

No prize at the moment. This could change if something similar to last event happens.

Leaderboard

< Click Me! >

The leaderboard will be kept up to date throughout the competition.

/!\ Before signing up:
- Make sure you and your team are willing to put in the effort that this event requires! Teams that end up doing nothing or quit right away are a waste of time and effort, especially when there's people that actually want to give this a go.
- If your team has two incredibly skilled puzzle-solvers, perhaps consider forming two teams in order to fuel the competition a little more. It will balance out the teams, and who doesn't like a little bit of friendly rivalry? ;)
- Make sure that every member of your team has read this entire post. DO NOT sign up if this has not been done.

To sign up, please use the following format.

Team Name: 
Team Member 1:
Team Member 2:
Team Member 3: (delete this if team only has 2 members)

Final Note

Months (quite literally) of work and research has gone into making this competition as interesting and fun as I possibly could. In order to make this event successful, I ask of you to spread the word. The more people that participate, the better! Last time we had 24 teams, and my aim is to surpass that number.

I hope you enjoy all the new changes brought to the event, and:

Good Luck!
- Para
PotassiumF
nice

Team Name: black weebs
Team Member 1: PotassiumF
Team Member 2: StickInTheWind
Team Member 3: Novalis
zhev
Team Name: The Three Stooges

Team Member 1: PurpleSatanWeed

Team Member 2: Perklone

Team Member 3: ZheVulture
RipJang
Team Name: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/291855

Team Member 1: RipJang
Team Member 2: Fen/Anahisa
Team Member 3: NotDeadYet
Venix
Team Name: papieżaki2137

Team Member 1: Venix

Team Member 2: Chalwa

Team Member 3: Blan_C
Sparxe
Team Name: Spastix

Team Member 1: Sparxe

Team Member 2: Sam020305
DJKhaled
oh shit i love escape rooms
stupud man
Team Name: The Berg
Team Member 1: stupud man
Team Member 2: stupud kid231
Team Member 3: Gucci Kimbap
Cynplytholowazy
Team name: Blank
Team Member 1: Beat43210
Team Member 2: ExodoreX
Team Member 3: -GN Junior
nya10
Team name: Terserah lu :v
Team member 1: nya10
Team member 2: dika312
Team member 3: Rexeez

Is it possible to add our roster later before registration closed?
Euphoric
Team Name: [Insert normie meme]
Team member 1: Euphoric
Team member 2: Pisces
Team member 3: kane_hunter
Jaye
Team Name: Tiny Teddies
Team Member 1: Jaye
Team Member 2: deadbeat
Team Member 3: mangomizer
Frustration
Team Name: Quitutes + Guri