forum

How to fix Forum #52: Part 2

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
johnmedina999
Hello, fellow citizens of this subforum of this great, great website! I hope you are all having a fantastic day. Today, I would like to explain to you my intentions for this brand-new year of two thousand eighteen.

As some of you have noticed, there has been a negative trend in the posts by the inhabitants of this land, and no one knows why this is. However, I have every intention of cleansing this forum of all known types of corruption and shit, and eventually, going on to the wild lands of the Internet and polishing it up. But I can only cleanse the internet with your help; I need you all to elect me President of Off-Topic!

Under my leadership, you will all enjoy a safer and more wholesome forum, with minimal fights and with the most wholesome memes and threads as the forum can hold. If you elect me, I will do everything that is in my power to rid this beautiful, but misunderstood place from its social stigma, and will therefore introduce more new people for everyone to socialize with.

Now, some of you may be saying, "who is this person? I've never even seen him before, he has a weird avatar with a circular-headed fairy, and he seems like the least qualified person to lead all of OT." Well, to all those that have been paying attention to the subforum, I am the creator of the popular but sadly now defunct OT!News digital newspaper. With a team of five—abraker, Blitzfrog, ColdTooth, kai99, and of course myself—we managed to get the news out for free every Tuesday to all citizens of OT, so they could be informed about the world of OT. Therefore, I can be considered to be a responsible leader of the Off-Topic subforum.

To wrap up—this is the second time I say this—I hope you will vote for the right person to be the President of Off-Topic on 1 February 2018!
Tae
are we really doing this president stuff again
fat pear
NO
Topic Starter
johnmedina999

Hwa Yang wrote:

I see you are concerned. However, there is no need to fear! Having me as President can only bring calm skies and relaxing threads.

microism wrote:

NO
Well, may I ask why not? There is no harm in running for President again, as I did about a year ago (though I wasn't very successful).
Softwarm
You have my vote!~
Tae
make me your vice president and we have a deal
Topic Starter
johnmedina999

Brisk Clarity wrote:

You have my vote!~
Thank you very much, kind citizen!

Hwa Yang wrote:

make me your vice president and we have a deal
Sounds great, you're on the ticket!
fat pear

johnmedina999 wrote:

Hwa Yang wrote:

I see you are concerned. However, there is no need to fear! Having me as President can only bring calm skies and relaxing threads.

microism wrote:

NO
Well, may I ask why not? There is no harm in running for President again, as I did about a year ago (though I wasn't very successful).
why u need a fracking president
Tae
this place needs as much help as it can get
Topic Starter
johnmedina999

microism wrote:

why u need a fracking president
Well, because of what my running mate has said:

Hwa Yang wrote:

this place needs as much help as it can get
Apart from that, we will try to bring everyone the most enjoyable experience possible. Surely, this sounds great, right? If so, I hope you'll make the right decision and vote for us on voting day!
yuhaii
ok fine you have my vote
Topic Starter
johnmedina999

yuhaii- wrote:

ok fine you have my vote
Thank you very much, kind citizen! See you on voting day.
levesterz
.*.*.**..****
DJ Enetro
I have always stood by you for president over abraker and I will not leave now.
*vote marked for john*
fat pear
MAK ME PRESIDENT
abraker
So presidential candidate Johnmedina999, who would your administration consist of?
What is your stance on newfags and oldfags?
What is your stance on Overlord Ephemeral Farquaad's law of exiles?
How do you plan to fill in the power gap left by the lords?
What policies would you enact to kickstart a golden age here in the land of OT?
Topic Starter
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

So presidential candidate Johnmedina999, who would your administration consist of?
Currently, the Administration will consist of Tae and myself.

abraker wrote:

What is your stance on newfags and oldfags?
I have learned from my past mistakes, and now prefer not to judge people by the amount of time they have been active in this community.

abraker wrote:

What is your stance on Overlord Ephemeral Farquaad's law of exiles?
I believe it was necessary to stop the Great War we were all suffering from, and for that I applaud Ephemeral. However, I believe a more friendly and lenient code of conduct is overdue.

abraker wrote:

How do you plan to fill in the power gap left by the lords?
I don't quite understand your question to the fullest extent, but I will try my best:

As I see it, the Lords of OT have quite given up on the land, as there is very little intervention by them, and they are starting to use it as a garbage dump as can be seen with this thread. This means that us as citizens are free to move in and do as we please, as long as we don't break any site-wide rules. I plan to take advantage of this in several ways, which leads me to your last question:

abraker wrote:

What policies would you enact to kickstart a golden age here in the land of OT?
The Team will do anything in its power to improve the quality of life for all those living in this vast land. The details of what those tactics are are locked away as surprises (because most of them would be spoiled if we revealed them), but as a sneak peak of what is to come if we are elected, we will:

1. set the example everyone should follow when creating threads and replying to others' threads;
  2. set incentives for people in order for them to have fun responsibly; and
  3. change the mindset of citizens of OT.
Ender Lain
*sigh*
Ryoid
How do i vote?
DJ Enetro
It doesn’t seem like there are any other candidates for the presidency... so is there a need to elect John and Hwa really?
abraker
Recent behaviors you display reveal deviation further from a pure newfag into one that which distributes content of interests. Improvement may it be, I fear it shall not halt there and you shall, with time, lean nearer and nearer to the ways of oldfags. Your change in the spectrum perhaps might might be derived from unknown forces at work, however I do very well expect you to reject such thoughts. Wonder still, how you expect this administration to encourage new threads in parallel to keeping cancer tamed?

johnmedina999 wrote:

Currently, the Administration will consist of Tae and myself.
Importance of the administration shall include being in the know of the state of the boiling pot for which is OT. While boiling the same old cancer as it has always, denizens come and go, meta changes, so does the climate. History of posts may not reveal me whether Tae lays eyes on the things of the land, so I can only assume Tae's recent doings appear not follow OT closely as desired. I recollect Tae resenting newfag behavior, which mind I remind, you took part of threads ago and the land is no shortage of. Shall I question what has revealed within Tae that is of so much interest to you along with how you anticipate Tae to handle things of the land?
Green Platinum
How about we compromise

ColdTooth
You know, this is why I play Pandaren in WoW. Because fuck the horde, and fuck the alliance.

This is exactly what you people are like, the horde are the newfags, and the alliance are the oldfags. Why can't we just get together, and be at peace, or are we just going to do the same shit over and over again, electing random presidents because they're certain they can run OT, which is a place that really shouldn't have anyone be in charge because it's practically a fucking wasteland here. Why even bother when we already don't follow the shit anyways, but giggle because it's funny?

The exile system is fine, it's to place people in jail because they're fucking idiotic, and therefore must be punished, that's why roshan's plump ass was locked up because he decided spamming the alphabet and the alphabet of the alien language was a good idea. That's totally fucking fine, we've had shit like that in the past, but before when I arrived back in 2013, it was kinda peaceful around here. Even the discord's early months were peaceful, and relaxing.

What happened?

No seriously, what the hell happened? Is it the increased popularity of this deserted sandstorm we call home? Do we just have too many people being dumb and thinking they're funny but they're not funny? Do we even know what happened when this place had to become rid of it's anarchy state, and grown into a government-sized hotel?

Well, when I see this place, I usually see dust. And more dust... and more dust just piling on, because it's getting old that we have dumb shit in here, and not the funny shit. Now, back in the day I was at roshan's age, so obviously, I was already a fucking moron like I was. For the most part I was a civilized person, because honestly, I'd rather not lose my account over something dumb online. I'm sure you're like the same, too, when you were a little bit younger than before, how we were new people in the streets.

Are we just going to keep using the terms 'oldfag' and 'newfag' because that's how we treat each other? It's 2018, people, we should be looking forward with positive thoughts, not bringing it down to make it more restricted. We should treat each other like family. I know you don't like me, or the other people around you, maybe you don't like john, that's fine! We all have haters, but we still have to look at each other like friendships, family, it really does matter. Who cares if we're fucking new or old, we are still a part of this hellhole, and we have to survive together. Otherwise, this place is going to look like a puzzled mess, and that's no fun to reconfigure.

The way I saw this transition, and I saw this too on the discord, was the use of politics. I can completely understand we have political people, I don't even know what the fuck left or right means anymore, because 2018 changed so much about being wrong or correct, we can't even use simple words to describe the same shit we've known as a child. But this is OT, so I can completely understand why politics would go here... but it got to the point that it was just getting too heavy, and next thing I knew, apparently we have 'presidents' in OT now.

Even on discord, we didn't have many people, and then we had some newcomers who I won't name, just push topics about politics and what not. That's why we had a new channel open up about politics, so the political people can discuss their edgy memes in there and what-not. Without that, the server would just make people run away because they're not into that kind of conversation.

I'm just really scared about what is going to happen to OT in the future, especially in 2018. I was skeptical about something happening that would involve a conspiracy or something last year, but this year I feel like something else is going to pop up, and that's going to drive people, "oldfags" and "newfags" alike, away.

I'm all for voting on Tae and john to be in admiration, really, I wish I could gladly help, but there is much on my plate. Just don't get yourself, or others, in trouble over it. The last thing this place needs is everyone exiled for real, and do we all need that? It's almost like the big red button in the president's office, it's there... but are we ever going to see it in time? One day we could even see it, but let's divert that negativity away, and focus on something... better.

Look, I know I mentioned some dumb shit in here, like respectin' each other like family, but sometimes it's the little things that count. Instead of transitioning, let's maybe build up on what we have in the future? Maybe keep track of what has happened that was wrong, and move away from it, while continuing to build a strong community this year. I'm probably going to get really stupid shit for this, but please, some positive feedback is appreciated, even if you think I'm a fucking moron, sometimes lesser brains have ideas.

Thank you.
abraker

ColdTooth wrote:

The way I saw this transition, and I saw this too on the discord, was the use of politics. I can completely understand we have political people, I don't even know what the fuck left or right means anymore, because 2018 changed so much about being wrong or correct, we can't even use simple words to describe the same shit we've known as a child. But this is OT, so I can completely understand why politics would go here... but it got to the point that it was just getting too heavy, and next thing I knew, apparently we have 'presidents' in OT now.
That's not the problem.

ColdTooth wrote:

Are we just going to keep using the terms 'oldfag' and 'newfag' because that's how we treat each other? It's 2018, people, we should be looking forward with positive thoughts, not bringing it down to make it more restricted. We should treat each other like family.
Interests aside, oldfags don't tend to make new threads, just post in already made ones. Newfags see this as suffocating OT. Their interests, however are beneficial to quality.

I think we can have thread makers and post makers as non intersecting groups benefiting the overall quality, but not one is better than the other. And it has always been a fight to one-up the other since the Lockthread era, and now I think we don't need to.

Because...

The actual problem is how both oldfag and newfag denizens handle threads made by barbarian newcomers peaking into OT
show more