forum

Proper way to hold a mouse or stylus/pen?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Espionage724
I heard that to hold either, you should pretty much use your arm for movement (with your palm lifted, and I guess you would pivot your arm with your elbow with an arm rest)

I've been using my wrist and fingers for moving my mouse. With a tablet, I'd imagine I would hold it in a similar manner (rest the bottom of my palm on the tablet, move the pen/stylus with my fingers in a small area).

If the proper way to use both things is really with your arm, does anyone here actually do that? Or do you use your wrist/fingers too?
shaNk_old
That's wrong, u need ur arm on the table and the side of ur palm on the edge of the tablet, and it should never lift off, as for ur pen, u should hold it kinda high to get good ballance

Oh and use an area as big as possible, keeping the corners of ur osu screen comfortable to reach, better results in the long run
those
Mouse pivots with wrist. Arm should be off the table.
Denebola_old
Time for arguments between palm and claw grip users

Just do whatever feels comfortable
Neruell
Seriously what will be the next thread, "How to sh*t like a pro?" or how often to blink with the eyes while playing? Just try different settings for your own playstyle. Oh wait, I know the better way to hold a pen rather than with a hand, with your feet. Tell you this is overpowered. Also want to know the angle and size of the fingers? Just open a new thread :)
Wishy
If you're using a tablet just hold the stylus like it was just a normal pen. Mouse = idk.
mathexpert
for the mouse I just use it normally (the same way I click an icon, drag stuff, etc) :)
winber1
my palm and my pinkie rests on its sides, and my pinky does not move for the post part, if that makes any sense.
thelewa

shaNk wrote:

That's wrong, u need ur arm on the table and the side of ur palm on the edge of the tablet, and it should never lift off, as for ur pen, u should hold it kinda high to get good ballance

Oh and use an area as big as possible, keeping the corners of ur osu screen comfortable to reach, better results in the long run
IGNORE THIS, there is no defined and correct way to hold the pen. What gets the best results varies from player to player. I've seen people hold the pen like I hold a normal pen (reisen udongein) and then I've seen people hold the pen all differently (cxu, metro) and then people like cookiezi hold the pen all strange too. I hold the pen completely different from how I hold a normal pen, because that works the best for me.

The point is that you need to experiment and find the style that fits you the most AND STICK TO IT.
Tom69_old

Neruell wrote:

Seriously what will be the next thread, "How to sh*t like a pro?" or how often to blink with the eyes while playing? Just try different settings for your own playstyle. Oh wait, I know the better way to hold a pen rather than with a hand, with your feet. Tell you this is overpowered. Also want to know the angle and size of the fingers? Just open a new thread :)
This. So true... :>

Just do whatever feels comfortable and works best for you. Trying it out doesn't hurt.
JAKACHAN
Going to have to agree with the last 2 posts in this thread. I was dumb enough to believe that using a smaller area and how I held the pen was the wrong way so I switched. After playing for a week using this new style I found out that it just wasn't right for me and the second I switched back I immediately started doing the same if not better than I was before.

Moral of the story: Just find something comfortable for YOU and once you've found something stick with it, because you are only hurting yourself. People use many different styles in osu! and they all found those styles through their own experiences.
Rena-chan
I hold my stylus way near the top, and use my fingers to move the cursor around. Shaky shaky.
Wishy
Just hold it with your mind bro.
lolcubes
The only thing that's really affected by the way you hold your mouse are the spinners imo. I hold my mouse with my thumb and my ring finger by the way. Regular palm user, but use claw for osu cause I can't keep up when I rest my full hand on it.
kriers
I used to play claw grip a year back when I was mouse & keyboard.
I would say that works just fine, really. Some prefer a dpi that's just high enough to avoid any use of the arm for mouse movements.
Switching to mouse only required me to use a palm grip, because in fact, that gives me 3 free fingers (only use thumb and pinky to grip the mouse) to use for streaming without having to sacrifice control.
Playing with a palmed grip also enables you to play with very low sensitivity, since it's usually much faster than claw grip, and is also
preferable for a style where clicks could potentially interrupt mouse movements.

Tl;dr: grip style depends on play style. Watch Youtube videos of TaNa and Silvia to see just how different it can be.
Kyonko Hizara
There is no proper way. Just whatever feels most comfortable to you.