forum

(info) SV changes Slider Physical Length, not Speed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kibbleru
So the playing speed of a slider is determined by:
Slider Speed = Slider Length / Slider Time -> and slider time is proportionate to the inverse of BPM

so we get;
Slider Speed = Slider Length * BPM

I did a little test in editor and found out that Slider Velocity actually just changes the Physical Length of the slider, and is not particularly related to the actually speed the sliderball plays at.

so in the end;
Slider Speed = SV * BPM

here is the test;

At first, i set up a 1/1 slider and two circles at 140 bpm -> the circles are there to mark any changes to the slider length.

And then i up the bpm to 180

As you can see, the objects themselves get unsnapped, but the slider itself is still the same length, and is still a 1/1 slider

tldr; SV doesn't actually change the speed of the slider, but the Fixed Length of a slider per beat.

I thought this might be quite interesting to share, not sure if it has been done before, so sorry if its a repeated post
Endaris
Well, traveldistance per time is usually what physicists refer to as velocity. As such the term "slider velocity multiplier" is quite accurate.
Your last equation does not make too much sense in that context as the dimension turns out as osupixel/s² which obviously isn't a suitable one to measure velocity.

The gist is really that duration, length and velocity of the slider are all tied with each other and that changing one will affect at least one of the others according to the first equation.
Topic Starter
Kibbleru

Endaris wrote:

Well, traveldistance per time is usually what physicists refer to as velocity. As such the term "slider velocity multiplier" is quite accurate.
Your last equation does not make too much sense in that context as the dimension turns out as osupixel/s² which obviously isn't a suitable one to measure velocity.

The gist is really that duration, length and velocity of the slider are all tied with each other and that changing one will affect at least one of the others according to the first equation.

well the last equation didnt rly matter much anyways, i was just getting at the fact that SV value in editor changes physical length instead of speed, and is independant from BPM