forum

Personal Achievements!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Softwarm
Apparently it's a good thing to do once in a while, so talk to your heart's content about something awesome you did, recently or otherwise!
DJ Enetro
Is it really bragging if you can actually do what you say and those actions are good though?
Also tbh, I would prefer the term “showing off”.
Zekks

DJ Enetro wrote:

Is it really bragging if you can actually do what you say and those actions are good though?
it's called being responsible
johnmedina999
Bragging is wrong.
Topic Starter
Softwarm
What are you talking about. I'm not talking about one of your specialized abilities that differentiate you from the rest of humanity, I'm talking about something that you did recently that you thought was awesome! Who wouldn't want to talk about the awesome-cool thing that they did this last week? Like, here's an example of some things you could talk about:

Poster wrote:

Okay, so this last Wednesday, I finished my first piece of music!

Poster wrote:

I've lost 2 pounds this week, I didn't touch any junk food and I managed to hit the gym every day. Hell yeah!

Poster wrote:

I got 1k posts on the osu! forum.

Poster wrote:

Despite only telling myself to read 100 books by the end of the year, I managed to read 123.
Are you seriously telling me that bragging about these sorts of things is "bad?" If I write a post, I feel great about myself because other people can congratulate me about my cool stuff, or maybe just having other people know about what you did is enough. What's your problem with this?
levesterz
Oooo a bragging thread. In that case I am proud that i cant pass all the map that i mapped. Thays mean i am a good mapper.
abraker
I am proud I haven't bragged a single ti- shit
DJ Enetro
... well.

I'm proud of being the stupidest toxic shit ever to have existed on OT, if there isn't anyone that exceeds my capacities.
abraker

DJ Enetro wrote:

... well.

I'm proud of being the stupidest toxic shit ever to have existed on OT, if there isn't anyone that exceeds my capacities.
There has. Luckily, he is not around for now
DJ Enetro
if he comes around again, i'll gladly try and get rid of him
abraker
Meah
Grab what
Zekks

DJ Enetro wrote:

... well.

shut up hoe
johnmedina999
The biggest problem with bragging (or sharing personal information in general) is that you're telling people something without them asking for that information. I don't mind it myself, but I can only imagine that it's annoying to others. Bragging is especially wrong in this case because you're basically saying "look at this thing I did, and I'm better than you because you didn't do it." Notice how no one has complimented anyone else in this thread, as you intended.

Maybe, if someone is looking for someone who has read a lot of books, you can brag about how you read 123 of them last year. The time would be appropriate then.

There is almost never any reason to brag about your accomplishments. It raises your ego and lowers others', and is therefore unhealthy for the mind. Please don't brag.

I don't mind when people brag to me, though, don't get me wrong. This is also my opinion so please don't hate me.
B1rd
I just spilt two coffees in a row on myself.

And then, because my foot was wet, I slipped on the tile floor outside my room.
Topic Starter
Softwarm
One quick clarification before I get into the meat of your response: none of those examples are things that I did, they were just examples. I wasn't expecting anyone to praise me for those things lmao.

You seem to be under the impression that the only reason people would ever post in here is to push people down in order to bring themselves up. I think that's plain wrong, man! I mean, sure some people will do that, but I think most people, when they actually do something they think is awesome don't think about how much better they are than the rest of the people in the thread. They're too busy basking in the dopamine their brain is pumping round-and-round in their head. And I mean, if other people in the thread take the posts people make as some sort of status-grab... too bad for them, I guess? If someone is very obviously trying to put others down then I can always call a mod and tell them about the asshole, that's no different from any other thread.

Furthermore, you say that it would be superior to have people who have similar interests brag to each other about whatever achievement they've procured. Not anyone else, just each other. The reason I think you gave this example as an alternative is because it feel socially wrong to have someone else brag about shit they did. The only reason they could be talking about their achievements in a random conversation would be to make themselves look better, right? Well, in the general case maybe you're right. But since this particular thread is all about bragging, I don't see why it would be socially unacceptable to go ahead and brag.

tl;dr: you probably get to talk about something awesome you did, and either a. people will not reference your post and just post themselves b. people will support your thingy c. people will think you're an asshole and leave you alone d. people will take umbrage with what you said and start something. (that last bit doesn't seem too likely to me.)
Ashton
There difference between sharing your personal achievements and bragging. You should never brag, but you should always share your personal achievements . Who put those lies in your head!

A smart soul knowable the difference between bragging and personal achievement. Eg.

I just won my poetry contest.

Bragging: “lol guys I’m like the best when it comes to poetry”

Sharif achievement: “hey guys I won poetry contest!! All that’s effort payed off!!”
fat pear
op's intention was just to get people to post about something they did. i dont think anyone was aiming to feel superior over others
yalll r getting your balls tangled over the word "brag" come on this was supposed to be a wholesome post
Topic Starter
Softwarm
Yeah I get the same feeling, I think I'll change the topic to something with less baggage I guess.
johnmedina999

microism wrote:

yalll r getting your balls tangled over the word "brag" come on this was supposed to be a wholesome post
I was asked to explain my opinion: so I did. Is that so wrong?
fat pear

johnmedina999 wrote:

microism wrote:

I was asked to explain my opinion: so I did. Is that so wrong?
ur opinion rong. also u started it
Topic Starter
Softwarm
Yeah your guys' posts made me realize that my word choice failed to convey what I wanted. Specifically, I had a different definition/understanding of "brag". Had you not spoken up we probably would have discovered that we had a difference in understanding somewhere down the line anyway, so it's nice we figured this out now. I changed the title and OP to reflect this new understanding.
Railey2
I'm doing better with university than before and my relationship is still going strong. That has to do for now
Meah
Pinoy best race
-Makishima S-
abraker

[Taiga] wrote:

Forgive? What kind of dark sorcery is tha- hmmm...

The digital integration of virtual persona is so cute I want to do all kinds of fun stuff with it after reverse engineering it. And people will just forgive, hehe
Meah
People likes it when I insult them
ColdTooth
I smacked a book against a spider.
johnmedina999
I have 7 hours on my Pokemon game that I started yesterday.
ColdTooth
I'm gay
Serraionga
Every time I post I start a new page.