forum

The State of the Skinning Subforum 2: Electric Boogaloo

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
autoteleology
So, it's been six months and this subforum is pretty much just as crappy of a place to make and share work as it was back then. What happened? Does anyone on the staff even care about this subforum anymore? It sure doesn't feel like it, especially now that deadbeat has abandoned the already neglected completed skins queue. I can't help but look at how much attention, love and care mapping gets, and then feel like our community is little more than an afterthought in comparison.
h3oCharles
Here are some reasons why rip skinning (not limited to):
- dead links
- unsorted skin thread
- deadbeat just closed completed skin queue
- WIP thread is a straight up joke
- ppl are making help threads instead of using skinning tutorial+support thread
- ppl breaking skinning forum rules (unavoidable tbh)
- 400 100 pages of stuff that won't be seen
deadbeat
to be fair, i hadn't looked or done much with that skinning thread in a long time. locking it changes nothing
Topic Starter
autoteleology

deadbeat wrote:

to be fair, i hadn't looked or done much with that skinning thread in a long time. locking it changes nothing
You're right, it doesn't change anything on a practical level since nobody cared anyways, but it does mean a lot on a symbolic level. At this point, we're not even pretending this is anything but a free for all, because even the appearance of structure for this forum is gone now. You might as well go all the way and just merge the completed skin subforum into the main forum, since that infrastructure is now obsolete and arbitrary.

I'm tired of waiting for lazer to show up at some undisclosed point in the future and magically fix everything with new technology (assuming your supposed private proposals even address the underlying problems). We still have absolutely nothing, not even a roadmap for improvement. We could have had a better working forum with existing tools six months ago. Our community deserves better than a dusty, forgotten corner.
Lyawi
You guys, especially h3oCharles, know that the staff is moderating in the skinning subforum and I've seen that every day to be honest. Since osu!Ninjas (a Discord server I created) we were able to report all skinning stuff in a channel and it always got handled by moderators, even by moderators which aren't listed in Kurai's thread from the beginning. I still am of the opinion that you all are overacting a bit, and it's all about a forum about beautifying some circles. please.

You had your chance, h3o, but you throw that away for being disrespectful, and I guess you all are still by rushing them like crazy and even the thread shows that. Give them time, report stuff which are against the rules and let the developers work at osu!lazer, which is more important than a skinning subforum
Get some patience and courtesy.
deadbeat
Ok, let's look at the issues you've presented
- dead links
- unsorted skin thread
- ppl are making thread for help instead of using skinning tutorial+support thread

A lot of this stuff is something anyone here could handle. I don't see why the GMT have to do it? Why does this rest on our hands? You should all be more than capible of doing stuff as well. The only difference between you and the GMT is we get a few extra permissions like locking and moving threads. You're all still able to make your own skinning compendiums. You're all capible of making your own completed queues. All you'd have to do is send a member of the GMT a weekly message saying can you please move this. It's super easy, and yet no one has done that? Why? Are you still waiting for me do it again? Or are you all too busy complaining loudly do to anything yourselves? Man up and do stuff yourself. Take action and stop waiting for others to do stuff you want done.
MaximumTilt

deadbeat wrote:

Ok, let's look at the issues you've presented
- dead links
- unsorted skin thread
- ppl are making thread for help instead of using skinning tutorial+support thread

A lot of this stuff is something anyone here could handle. I don't see why the GMT have to do it? Why does this rest on our hands? You should all be more than capible of doing stuff as well. The only difference between you and the GMT is we get a few extra permissions like locking and moving threads. You're all still able to make your own skinning compendiums. You're all capible of making your own completed queues. All you'd have to do is send a member of the GMT a weekly message saying can you please move this. It's super easy, and yet no one has done that? Why? Are you still waiting for me do it again? Or are you all too busy complaining loudly do to anything yourselves? Man up and do stuff yourself. Take action and stop waiting for others to do stuff you want done.
So on top of making skins for everyone in this game to use (which can already be really annoying with how limiting skinning is) we also have to manage this forum so people can actually find our skins?

I thought the whole point of mods was to make sure the rules are followed and the forum doesn't become a mess, guess I was wrong.

edit:
Also it's not like we've never tried doing anything

exhibit a:
t/156871

exhibit b:
t/638564

exhibit c:
the fact that people had to make a skinning review channel on youtube

Another reason the skinning community feels underappreciated is because we never get any kind of spotlight like mappers and pro players do in the news section.

another edit cause people on discord told me to write it in my post:
On top of all the existing problems the now-obsolete infrastructure of this subforum misleads anyone trying to find a skin they like. Nobody wants to be browsing page after page of a messy forum where you can't tell apart original skins, mix skins and just thread spam.
h3oCharles

deadbeat wrote:

Why does this rest on our hands? You should all be more than capable of doing stuff as well. The only difference between you and the GMT is we get a few extra permissions like locking and moving threads. You're all still able to make your own skinning compendiums. You're all capable of making your own completed queues. All you'd have to do is send a member of the GMT a weekly message saying can you please move this. It's super easy, and yet no one has done that? Why? Are you still waiting for me do it again? Or are you all too busy complaining loudly to do anything yourselves? Man up and do stuff yourself. Take action and stop waiting for others to do stuff you want to be done.
So what? Am I supposed to make another wall of links and then get insulted by some guy that doesn't know skinning at all? *Looks at Death*
Or you guys will give up because of the sheer amount of absurd?
Most likely you will... "ugh... let me do it later" and then proceed to not doing it at all

EDIT1: And I'm talking about walls of links, not just 1-2 in a single message... You see, when I want to plow through some of this crap, I'd rather save it in a notepad, and then come back later at some date and then puke out the entire wall, which will make me satisfied as I can see it black and white once it'll be done. Unfortunately, that never happened.
WalterToro

MaximumTilt wrote:

Another reason the skinning community feels underappreciated is because we never get any kind of spotlight like mappers and pro players do in the news section.

I can only talk in this particular point to say that skin showcases were a thing before, sure osu!weekly is not a thing anymore but you could ask to the people in osu!monthly to add a section there, or just ask peppy if you can write some monthly articles to be posted in the news, and maybe a channel in the dev-server (if you need that, looking that you have an actual discord going on).

Its better to talk about actual ideas that could be done, that throwing shit in something that is practicaly impossible to do in the actual system (sorry people).
h3oCharles
just don't say I didn't warn everyone, ok?