forum

Looking to buy a mechanical keyboard

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Frikandel
I like playing DT and streams but feel my membrane keyboard is getting a little too heavy for the speed I am trying to achieve and hope lighter keys will make a difference.

I know reds are the lightest and I've heard blues are equally light but with feedback. I do not have a lot of money to spare and I don't have any friends who play osu or even have a mech (feelsbadman) so I can't really test them out. I really don't want to end up buying a keyboard that doesn't feel right though.

What do you recommend? Red or Blue switches? Or maybe something else?

Thanks in advance!
Haxwill
I use a Logitech G413, which uses their Romer-G switches, which is kinda like a cherry red switch. The keys are very light and i really only need to press 2 millimeters for an imput, i've been able to go over 270 bpm on occasion with this keyboard. I got mine for about $65 I think from Target, which is considered pretty good price for most good mechanical keyboards.
Endaris
Lighter keys may actually not be the optimum for speed as keys with higher actuation force will not only require more force to press but also reset with more force, causing them to reset faster.
jesse swears on blacks at least and he should know.
Haxwill

Endaris wrote:

Lighter keys may actually not be the optimum for speed as keys with higher actuation force will not only require more force to press but also reset with more force, causing them to reset faster.
jesse swears on blacks at least and he should know.

Reset speed may be a problem for some keyboards, I can't speak for all keyboards, but using a fidget spinner and osu stream speed test with my keyboard http://arctic5.github.io/osuStreamSpeed.js/ I got 800 bpm. Which, until Gayzmcgee proves me wrong, I'm gonna assume is impossible for humans to do
DXPOHIHIHI
Membrane is soft for me but mech is hard
Ninonuko
I'd recommend try all of them if you can. Also you can buy the switch and do the soldering by your own but Idk how risky it is.

Idk if switching from membrane to mechanical will make huge difference since I started osu with mechanical keyboard already, but from my experience I have less stamina (not speed) when I switch from red (non-tactile) to brown (tactile), now I'm still playing with both switches without (nearly) any difference on skill at all but I liked brown the most because of how it feels.
The Gambler
I'd say it's hard to commit to a full keyboard though. I suggest building your own, using the tutorial thread below.

You don't need that many keys, maybe around 8 at max.
Aegyo
O p t i c a l s w i t c h k b
I Give Up
Coming from membrane, transitioning to reds will be a lot easier than blues. And blues are VERY loud, your whole household and/or neighbours will hear it. Mech keyboards are a lot chunkier than membrane so most of your learning will be getting used to the new key height. Average price for cherry mx red kb is now ~80USD on amazon.
Vipen
I'd recommend you to buy red or brown switches. I got my full rgb mechanical keyboard with red switches only for 40$ and it's amazing. I don't have any experience with blue switches, but heard from many people that blue switches sucks for osu! Blue switches are good for typing long texts. But everything is just about your preference. If you are lookin' for switches for osu! red or brown are good decision, for me it's hard to type on red switches, but for osu! they are great.
-Makishima S-
Cooler Master Storm Quickfire TK or any other from Quickfire series with Cherry MX switches.
Expensive? Maybe...
Why?
+ Fucking tank
+ You can kill every human being with it, connect it back to pc and it will work
+ Spill cup of tea, coffee, cola on it, let it dry in warm place, connect - it works
+ Support is fucking amazing, after like 1,5 year, my "z" key was not working properly - I got new keyboard within 7 days

Too many pros to almost non cons in term of this keyboard.
The Gambler

[Taiga] wrote:

*snip*
Not to mention mine survived an entire keyboard switch conversion. And that’s after the fact my soldering skills are terribad.

You won’t regret the TK other than the lack of keycap support, but that’s further down the line.

Get a TK.
Topic Starter
Frikandel
Thanks for all the responses.

I'm still undecided... I really wish I had the means to test out some mechs while playing osu!.

I'll consider brown switches too. Not sure about soldering, too afraid to mess things up especially with my limited budget.

I will let you guys know when I've made a decision... if ever haha.