forum

Mario Kart 7 weekly kartparties (Sat, 9 PM CST)

posted
Total Posts
show more
NaomiMinette
SKYPE SHOULD BE MANDATORY IN ALL KARTPARTIES /ragecaps

But seriously, most likely.
rust45
C'mon guys, let's do this.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
It's annoying when you pick a course you just played on because you're a sore loser and then it gets picked and you still do poorly.

I hate this game and I hate Music Park. :roll:

See you guys next time! 8-)
mm201
So are we doing the regularly scheduled party tonight? :D~
Topic Starter
Ekaru

mm201 wrote:

So are we doing the regularly scheduled party tonight? :D~
I already announced it last Sunday or so, so yep! ^_^
NaomiMinette
So how about that Toad Circuit?
Soaprman

Blazevoir wrote:

Topic Starter
Ekaru

Blazevoir wrote:

I demand vandalism of Goop's profile! >:O
0_o
SUP GUYS

EDIT: APPARENTLY I SUCK!
NaomiMinette
Faceman, y u no play with us moar? =c

Also, it was odd how you joined us mid-Community session.
0_o
I don't check the forums very often.. I just happened to be browsing this thread when I saw you guys were playing so I hopped on.

I'll see if I can be more pro-active with keeping up with this stuff in the future.

Also I'll have to play with a stat calculator to find an optimal kart combo..
Topic Starter
Ekaru

0_o wrote:

I don't check the forums very often.. I just happened to be browsing this thread when I saw you guys were playing so I hopped on.

I'll see if I can be more pro-active with keeping up with this stuff in the future.

Also I'll have to play with a stat calculator to find an optimal kart combo..
9 PM Central time on Saturdays. That's all you gotta remember.
Soaprman
If you want a good setup, some stats are more important than others. Mainly, look at acceleration. High acceleration has two big things on its side:

1. It allows faster recovery from being hit by items or falling off the track or whatever. High max speed is kind of useless since your speed is being knocked down to zero so often.
  2. At the start of the race, it makes it more likely that you can pull ahead and grab the coins, increasing your speed and allowing you to widen the gap. High acceleration karts are the karts most likely to experience "time trials" in online races.
Each character weight class also gives its own small bonuses... there's a chart with all this stuff on GAMEFAQs.

I use Wiggler because it's my favorite character of the lot, and I make it work by choosing a kart and wheels (Bumble-V and Roller) that have extreme acceleration to offset the poor numbers Wiggler would have in those stats otherwise.

I actually think it would be good if in a future kart game they did away with character weight classes and keep the customization to the karts. It would remove pressure to pick characters just because they're better than others.
mm201
Basically Soap tries to balance "effective racing" with "being a douche who can knock you off the track." :P

I use Train because of its max acceleration, extremely tight handling, and long MT stat. I use wood instead of roller for their better offroad, plus my use of a featherweight character and Paraglider means I get the highest possible acceleration anyway.

You can use a time trial kart combination, but it's a gamble that you can get to first place, hold it, and hope not many blue shells come along. Time trial karts use one of the top speed frames (usually BDasher, but sometimes Zucchini, Blue 7, and Bruiser) with either slick, red, mushroom, or gold wheels. Slick/gold have the best speed, slicks have better handling/MTs, gold have slightly better offroad/underwater, reds are best offroad (which includes snowy/rainy tracks), and mushrooms have better handling.

Woods are like mini reds, rollers are like mini mushrooms, sponges are like mini slicks.
bomber34
btw. can someone make me a "Married to Rainbow Road SNES" signature?
NaomiMinette
Good luck fitting it into your sig :P
bomber34
I can manage that somehow ^^
Topic Starter
Ekaru

mm201 wrote:

Basically Soap tries to balance "effective racing" with "being a douche who can knock you off the track." :P

I use Train because of its max acceleration, extremely tight handling, and long MT stat. I use wood instead of roller for their better offroad, plus my use of a featherweight character and Paraglider means I get the highest possible acceleration anyway.

You can use a time trial kart combination, but it's a gamble that you can get to first place, hold it, and hope not many blue shells come along. Time trial karts use one of the top speed frames (usually BDasher, but sometimes Zucchini, Blue 7, and Bruiser) with either slick, red, mushroom, or gold wheels. Slick/gold have the best speed, slicks have better handling/MTs, gold have slightly better offroad/underwater, reds are best offroad (which includes snowy/rainy tracks), and mushrooms have better handling.

Woods are like mini reds, rollers are like mini mushrooms, sponges are like mini slicks.
I can testify that his combo works nicely. ^_^ I do need to try out my old Bumblebee/Roller/Flower Glider combo against you guys, though.
0_o
Thanks for the tips guys. I actually was planning on focusing acceleration and miniturbo, I'm just not that familiar with the miniturbo stats for each part which is what I was gonna use the stat calculators for.

I'll see if I can pull myself away from my newly-gifted Kid Icarus and Xenoblade at some point this week so I can get a nice kart setup going for next week ^_^
rust45

bomber34 wrote:

btw. can someone make me a "Married to Rainbow Road SNES" signature?
Soap was the one making those. So he's the one to ask about it.
CNM501
Since uhh, appreantly there's those siggy thingies, I humbly request a Married to Maple Treeway sig please. o3o
And just to add to the kart setup discussion, I use Gherkin and regular glider and slim wheels. Why? Mostly because Gherkin is green heheh. :D
Soaprman
Give my generator a try!

http://soaprman.net/r/marriage/

It still has some kinks to work out and I want to add a bit more functionality to it (mainly regarding image resizing/cropping and maybe image auto-uploading) but what's there should get the job done if you can find a pic and resize it yourself. Everything but the preview bgcolor changer works perfectly in Firefox (not sure why that stopped working, will have to look). The upload image from computer doesn't work in non-Firefox browsers yet... will get that working later on. Once I'm done I'll release it to the masses...

If you don't want to do that I'll have it to you sometime tomorrow.
CNM501
Oh thanks. I'll try it sometime and I'm team Firefox so it's all good. But I'd prefer to get it from you personally o3o. But Thanks!~~
mm201
OSX Safari is making the text really fuzzy.
http://puu.sh/HeFA
pieguyn

Blazevoir wrote:

:?

as for stats, I tried to get high acceleration and handling, but I didn't want to sacrifice too much speed :? so I found a combination that gives me 4.25 of each and 3.0 speed (Lakitu+Mushroom+Pipe Frame), and it works fine... And I use Lakitu cause I like Lakitu 8-)
Soaprman
As requested by people since I'm not in bed quite yet:

mm201: Try adjusting zoom a notch. I had that happen in IE9 too. I recall it being fine on Windows Safari.

Pixel fonts are fun. They don't resample nicely (esp. at smaller sizes) and with some of them you get display issues if you center align them with certain characters... I think characters with an even pixel width? Not positive on that, it's just a guess. The 1 screws up in this font though with center align, so I had to left align then move a whole number of pixels over to make it look centered.
CNM501
Woo Thanks Soap! :D
Topic Starter
Ekaru
9 PM Central tomorrow etc. etc. etc. Obligatory "So Blaze doesn't freak out" etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
NaomiMinette
Y U NO SKYPE WIT US YET >=C /freakout

Ohai
Topic Starter
Ekaru
We're happy to accept any nationality in our kart parties. However, please join us in #videogames first so we know that you're an osu! member interested in joining us.

Thank you.

Also, someone should probably edit the OP with our standard time now. W/E

EDIT: Also, I think I'll use this combo again next time.
Soaprman
I said this in Skype but you didn't hear it... I think it was probably someone one of us faced in worldwide that found us in the rivals list and said "ooh, that mii looks neat, I'll race this person again".

At least I think you can join community via rivals.
mm201
New music park drum strat:
Hold your right drift into and out of the drum, release just before landing on the far side, land into a left slide. If done correctly, you should strafe to the right.
NaomiMinette
Best thing about these kartparties: the sudden drop from 1st to 8th /o/

Anyway, was fun- and rage-filled as always~ Too bad it ended shorter than usual...
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Soaprman wrote:

I said this in Skype but you didn't hear it... I think it was probably someone one of us faced in worldwide that found us in the rivals list and said "ooh, that mii looks neat, I'll race this person again".

At least I think you can join community via rivals.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Just covering all my bases. ~

New music park drum strat:
Hold your right drift into and out of the drum, release just before landing on the far side, land into a left slide. If done correctly, you should strafe to the right.
So practicing that for next time. Tired of bombing races due to screwing up the drums. Thanks!
Topic Starter
Ekaru
I'm bored. Let's play, "Rank our players!"

1. Greg (I think we can all agree on that one. STOP WINNING)
2. Blaze
3. Soap
4. Yoshi
5. CNM
6. rust
7. Ekaru (D:)
8. Gloop
9. Remmy (If he's scared of Gloop then that is *not* a good sign. MWAHAHAHAHA!)

I probably forgot somebody. Oh, if I was to put Elly in then I'd put Elly in the top 3 somewhere. Elly doesn't come on often enough for me to give Elly a ranking, though.

Oh, I forgot jj! Oops. Oh well! \o/
NaomiMinette

Ekaru wrote:

2. Blaze
3. Soap
4. Yoshi
5. CNM
6. rust
8. Gloop

I probably forgot somebody. Oh, if I was to put Elly in then I'd put Elly in the top 3 somewhere. Elly doesn't come on often enough for me to give Elly a ranking, though.

This is why I wish the scores wouldn't keep dropping each month... but then again some people would play whenever others aren't and so on.

I guess there's always the win/lose ratio screen, but until then... NINTENDO, MAKE A BETTER LEADERBOARD SYSTEM!
rust45

Ekaru wrote:

2. Blaze
3. Soap
4. Yoshi
5. CNM
6. rust
8. Gloop

I'm not sure I'd rank you below me, but otherwise the list looks pretty good. MM is definitely the best of all of us.
bomber34
This fucking timezonestory ...
I want to be in the ranking too ^^
Topic Starter
Ekaru

rust45 wrote:

I'm not sure I'd rank you below me, but otherwise the list looks pretty good. MM is definitely the best of all of us.
I was being polite. In reality I'm actually tied with Soap for 3rd, but placing me like that would make me look arrogant. ;P Nah, I'm really that bad. :(

Also, I started playing on WW again. Is it just me, or do most of the people who pick Metal Mario with that overused combo not know what they are doing? It's like they just pick the combo they see used all the time in TT and copy it because they think this is Mario Kart Wii, completely forgetting that this game has different mechanics.

EDIT: Actually, I might be 4th, since I've never really seen Soap use a light character yet he still manages to have a pretty even W/L ratio with me.
Soaprman
I'm really strong.
show more