forum

Winter 2018 Anime First Impressions Chart

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
New year new series, I'm feeling either promising or a huge mediocre disappointment.

Purple is not a feeling:
Green for liked
Blue for neutral
Red for disliked

I didn't do a chart last season because I was busy, and on top of that the whole 3 people that used the sheet aside from me demotivated me. It's back again (I copypasted most of the formatting so hopefully it works), and still just did TV series and Shorts since nobody will pay attention to this thread a month from now anyway.

This is the chart I use
Submit your feelings here
Here is a possibly functional sheet that shows results on opinions
Green Platinum
Not sure how I feel about Yukihiro Miyamoto and SHAFT for a fate adaption seems like a bizarre combination.
EneT

Green Platinum wrote:

Not sure how I feel about Yukihiro Miyamoto and SHAFT for a fate adaption seems like a bizarre combination.
There's going to be another fate adaption?
When are they going to stop making them and when are people going to stop liking them?
At least Ufotable was smart enough to drop it.
Green Platinum

EneT wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

When are they going to stop making them and when are people going to stop liking them?
Ufotable are tied up with the Heaven's Feel movies. I think that is why they haven't been putting out any fate for tv. It's probably producers riding the waves made by F/GO before the next big thing.
EneT
Citrus: I really liked this manga despite the fact that I barely remember it's plot due to it's scarce amount of updates. Who cares though, I never liked it for the story anyways. Maybe this anime adaptation will encourage me to re-read the entire manga from the start and actually get acquainted with it. cba to watch the anime past the first episode though; pretty sure majority of the goody goody stuffs :roll: happen towards the later parts of the manga.
Justykanna

EneT wrote:

I actually just finished Unlimited Blade Works a week or so ago and really enjoyed it. Looks pretty, decent story and characters - what's not to like?

Anyways.

Katana Maidens: I'm not entirely sure what I expected from this one. There's just nothing here that's appealing and the main character's involvement with something potentially big here seems backed by pretty mediocre reasons. The small walking animations also look terrible, probably with CG.

Record of Grancrest War: Well now, here's a main heroine that I can't see myself liking long term. I get the story part - it's pretty simple, nothing really complicated. Theo confuses me though. I can't tell if he's suppose to start out weak (which it seems like) or not... Maybe they're going the 'unrefined' route? This random castle takeover seems weird too because you effortlessly took it over... why hadn't anyone else done it? The short nature art scenes do look pretty but that's the only positive I drew here.
Green Platinum

Justykanna wrote:

I actually just finished Unlimited Blade Works a week or so ago and really enjoyed it. Looks pretty, decent story and characters - what's not to like?
The problem is the further from the original Fate we get the more horrible and convoluted it gets. I only see fate fans cry out for a loyal adaption to Tsukihime and occasionally Fate/Strange Fake. This one is just odd because we may get a fate with the feel of the -monogataris. of course you'll only ever see anybody talk about Nero head tilts.

EneT wrote:

Citrus
Isn't this just gonna end up like every other yuri/shoujo-ai adaption where all the normies come out about how they love yuri and then it becomes apparent they don't even get what yuri is about and down-rate the series.
EneT

Justykanna wrote:

I found every fate anime apart from fate/zero bad and the only reason f/0 was good was because it was written by Gen Urobuchi. Coming off of that success, I was highly anticipated for unlimited blade works when it released but no matter how good Ufotable's animation was, it just couldn't distract me enough from how bad it was which brought me to the consensus that the fate series is trash, not the adaptions (although they are still bad), but mainly the source. I trust that ufotable made the best adaptation they could but the problems with the anime were not with them but the source material. You can't make something great out of something that is shit. Same with tales of zestiria; that was a very, very mediocre game at best and since it was only mediocre, ufotable's anime adaptation of it only bested at mediocre despite their slick animation. F/SN is basically a hentai VN, it's understandable, the story was made to be good in the VN format but in anime form it just feels plain horrible, especially with Shirou as a lead, dude's technically a harem MC in disguise which doesn't fit with the somewhat serious story. I don't know about fate/Apocrypha though, haven't watched it nor do I plan to; A-1 makes 1 or 2 good anime per year at maximum and I'm sure f/a doesn't belong in that percentile unless someone convinces me otherwise.
Justykanna

EneT wrote:

Justykanna wrote:

I found every fate anime apart from fate/zero bad and the only reason f/0 was good was because it was written by Gen Urobuchi. Coming off of that success, I was highly anticipated for unlimited blade works when it released but no matter how good Ufotable's animation was, it just couldn't distract me enough from how bad it was which brought me to the consensus that the fate series is trash, not the adaptions (although they are still bad), but mainly the source. I trust that ufotable made the best adaptation they could but the problems with the anime were not with them but the source material. You can't make something great out of something that is shit. Same with tales of zestiria; that was a very, very mediocre game at best and since it was only mediocre, ufotable's anime adaptation of it only bested at mediocre despite their slick animation. F/SN is basically a hentai VN, it's understandable, the story was made to be good in the VN format but in anime form it just feels plain horrible, especially with Shirou as a lead, dude's technically a harem MC in disguise which doesn't fit with the somewhat serious story. I don't know about fate/Apocrypha though, haven't watched it nor do I plan to; A-1 makes 1 or 2 good anime per year at maximum and I'm sure f/a doesn't belong in that percentile unless someone convinces me otherwise.
Err... so you didn't like the source material and expected that you'd like an anime of that? I almost feel like you walked into being able to rant by watching it, lol.

I actually really enjoyed Tales of Zestiria (I'm about half way through the game I believe). The story's not terrible (in relation to the other Tales games) and I like most of the characters - which are the components that would carry over to an anime. I still need to get around to beating it. Not my favourite Tales game by any stretch but not even close to being my least favourite.

I'm kinda glad I don't pay attention to what studios do what. That's just setting you up to be psyched out.
Green Platinum
Honestly found Violet Evergarden to be pretty boring. Obviously the hype had set my expectations for the series way too high but even the visuals feel way too subdued and sanitary to really capture my interest especially for something so involved in the damage caused by war.

EneT wrote:

I found every fate anime apart from fate/zero bad and the only reason f/0 was good was because it was written by Gen Urobuchi.
If we broaden our scope we can also consider Kara no Kyoukai so Nasuverse works can be great without intervention by the Urobucher though. While I also think you mischaracterised Shirou it isn't exactly relevant as F/SN's writing quality is still controversial at best.

Justykanna wrote:

I'm kinda glad I don't pay attention to what studios do what. That's just setting you up to be psyched out.
I think it is meaningful each studio will spice it's works with it's own particular flavour however a show will live or die with it's creative team so it is important to grasp the whole picture. People will make excuses about "Infinite budget works" and KyoAni but in reality that is largely untrue.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Pretty much everything I want to watch (aside from Fate/Extra if that actually does air since the date keeps getting switched) has aired now probably? So this is everything I have and/or will watch.

Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou: If I only gave this the first episode I may have had a different opinion on it, but watching a whole 2 episodes made me see that this is just a cash in for the series to try and keep it relevant. The plot jumps around and has too many twists really early on. I found myself really lost with the 2nd episode, and going "what the actual fuck" from about 5 minutes into it all the way to the end. Possibly if I have time I will watch the next episode, but the structure of the 2nd episode doesn't give me much hope.

Beatless: Have I seen this before somewhere? Mysterious, hot, emotionless robot girl with a funky name? Another awkward light novel adaptation I'm not 100% turned off to but not completely turned on to.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen: Give it to Madhouse to reboot a series (well they did the original to begin with) and make it good for more than just the nostalgia hype. I feel like the date getting moved around so much kind of killed some of the hype that was building up for this, but I much rather would have waited for a better product to come out rather than it being rushed to all fuck. Unlike SMC, this *hopefully* won't lose its whole audience after 5 episodes and people getting annoyed how they only really cared about the first episode.

citrus: Lesbians. That's all.

Darling in the Franxx: Trigger comes back for their yearly banger.

Death March Kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku: Oh I really want to like this, and at least like it enough to give it a neutral/10, but the first two episodes could barely keep my attention at all. The most amount of time I could pay attention to this was to figure out what was going on enough to understand what was going on. Yes, I was fully aware of the premise going into this, but I at least had some hope it wasn't going to set with me this poorly.

Grancrest Senki: Something else I would love to like, especially since I've seen a lot of "wow the source material was good, hope this is too!" Maybe since I haven't seen the source material is why I'm so ehhhhh, but the light novel probably isn't as plain as this is. Plot and characters are both very watered down and basic. Everything that happens seems very effortless.

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens: This is...interesting? Even after two episodes I'm not sure how to take this one, maybe it's still developing into itself? This seems like it is probably going to dig deeper really slowly.

Hakumei to Mikochi: Cute, tiny forest girls do cute things. It's fun and that's all it needs to be taken as.

Ito Junji: Collection: It tells the stories, that's about all good it does. The art style has those designed lines when it's close up, but it doesn't come as any surprise to me that anything not in focus looks like shit. All of the effort for the art direction got wasted on the preview images. Significantly overhyped for something that's just okay. Maybe if a different studio did this it would have more redeemable art, but just seeing who the studio is while looking at the airing list made me disappointed.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san: Taking this for what it is, good to watch if you're 12 or want a time waster. At least this middle schooler anime has better care in its animation than some series this season.

Killing Bites: Sexy Animorphs: the Anime. So they are beasts going to compete in a fighting tournament? So it's Juni Taisen but with animorphs? The hot girls are what is going to keep me watching to see what is going to happen.I really want this to be good for more than pantyshots and titty ladies.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni: Solid op and ed btw. Definitely not some gross pedo series like some comments make it out to seem. I know some people are getting on this one because it's the studio that made AoT (I think?). This does the age gap love interest things well without making it creepy or like they are biting into the forbidden fruit.

Kokkoku: Pretty nice psychological series, the 2nd episode didn't seem to go much further from the first, but interested to see how this series will develop.

Miira no Kaikata: Take it at face value, it's cute but I'll only keep watching it if I have the time to.

Märchen Mädchen: Luck and Logic? Except it's awkward powerful girl comes from another dimension instead of another country.

Nanatsu no Taizai: Imashime no Fukkatsu: It back, and this didn't leave me with a limp dick like that filler arc from 1 1/2 years ago.

Overlord II: Lots of story building right now, but I really love this series so hoping this season won't disappoint.

Pop Team Epic: Enjoying how the anime has done more than just the manga segments. I have watched both halves of this since I find both the male and female voices fitting in their own senses.

Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san:I like food too.

Ryuuou no Oshigoto!: It's cute, that's about all it has. Kinda cringy tho, but not just because middle schoolers wanting to fuck the mc, just stop playing shogi like an anime character.

Slow Start: Lolis, that's it. Boring lolis. All it has going for it, again, is that the girls are cute.

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho: The op makes me wonder if they are actually going to make it to Antarctica, or if they are going to spend the whole season trying to get there and we will be left with a "see you in season 2". Very high school girl anime on having struggles and sharing struggles.

Toji no Miko:I have NEVER given up on a series after only 2 minutes, but even that 2 minutes was a huge fucking waste of my time. I don't care about finding out what this is about, the animation is so abysmal this needs to just disappear. Even the laziest and sketchiest of animation looks tolerable and decent next to this. You do not shake the whole screen like that, just don't.

Violet Evergarden: In a series that everyone either really likes or really hates, I'll have to sit on the side of enjoying this one. It's definitely a very KyoAni series, but at the same time I kind of forgot they did it.

Yuru Camp△: wow that's a really cute camping ad.

Dagashi Kashi 2: Still snack titties, but would still rather have full episodes than shorts that are mostly the op and ed.
Faust
Violet Evergarden:

I am really, really hoping this has got substance, instead of just being another pretty presentation on how KyoAni can make things all bright & dainty.

Pop Team Epic:

You either get it or don't I suppose. Love the production values and skits.

BEATLESS:

Was pretty sure I wouldn't like how it would start off, and I was right. The encounter between protag and Lacia was as given by the summary but can the writing please be something that isn't off-throwing ?

Overlord II:

Waited a while for this season 2. Things are taking shape atm and I'm just eager for each release.

Citrus:

I've been told the source material is mildly interesting. I don't really know what to expect for this minus lesbians and drama.
dNextGen

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Pretty much everything I want to watch (aside from Fate/Extra if that actually does air since the date keeps getting switched) has aired now probably? So this is everything I have and/or will watch.

Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou: If I only gave this the first episode I may have had a different opinion on it, but watching a whole 2 episodes made me see that this is just a cash in for the series to try and keep it relevant. The plot jumps around and has too many twists really early on. I found myself really lost with the 2nd episode, and going "what the actual fuck" from about 5 minutes into it all the way to the end. Possibly if I have time I will watch the next episode, but the structure of the 2nd episode doesn't give me much hope.

Beatless: Have I seen this before somewhere? Mysterious, hot, emotionless robot girl with a funky name? Another awkward light novel adaptation I'm not 100% turned off to but not completely turned on to.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen: Give it to Madhouse to reboot a series (well they did the original to begin with) and make it good for more than just the nostalgia hype. I feel like the date getting moved around so much kind of killed some of the hype that was building up for this, but I much rather would have waited for a better product to come out rather than it being rushed to all fuck. Unlike SMC, this *hopefully* won't lose its whole audience after 5 episodes and people getting annoyed how they only really cared about the first episode.

citrus: Lesbians. That's all.

Darling in the Franxx: Trigger comes back for their yearly banger.

Death March Kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku: Oh I really want to like this, and at least like it enough to give it a neutral/10, but the first two episodes could barely keep my attention at all. The most amount of time I could pay attention to this was to figure out what was going on enough to understand what was going on. Yes, I was fully aware of the premise going into this, but I at least had some hope it wasn't going to set with me this poorly.

Grancrest Senki: Something else I would love to like, especially since I've seen a lot of "wow the source material was good, hope this is too!" Maybe since I haven't seen the source material is why I'm so ehhhhh, but the light novel probably isn't as plain as this is. Plot and characters are both very watered down and basic. Everything that happens seems very effortless.

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens: This is...interesting? Even after two episodes I'm not sure how to take this one, maybe it's still developing into itself? This seems like it is probably going to dig deeper really slowly.

Hakumei to Mikochi: Cute, tiny forest girls do cute things. It's fun and that's all it needs to be taken as.

Ito Junji: Collection: It tells the stories, that's about all good it does. The art style has those designed lines when it's close up, but it doesn't come as any surprise to me that anything not in focus looks like shit. All of the effort for the art direction got wasted on the preview images. Significantly overhyped for something that's just okay. Maybe if a different studio did this it would have more redeemable art, but just seeing who the studio is while looking at the airing list made me disappointed.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san: Taking this for what it is, good to watch if you're 12 or want a time waster. At least this middle schooler anime has better care in its animation than some series this season.

Killing Bites: Sexy Animorphs: the Anime. So they are beasts going to compete in a fighting tournament? So it's Juni Taisen but with animorphs? The hot girls are what is going to keep me watching to see what is going to happen.I really want this to be good for more than pantyshots and titty ladies.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni: Solid op and ed btw. Definitely not some gross pedo series like some comments make it out to seem. I know some people are getting on this one because it's the studio that made AoT (I think?). This does the age gap love interest things well without making it creepy or like they are biting into the forbidden fruit.

Kokkoku: Pretty nice psychological series, the 2nd episode didn't seem to go much further from the first, but interested to see how this series will develop.

Miira no Kaikata: Take it at face value, it's cute but I'll only keep watching it if I have the time to.

Märchen Mädchen: Luck and Logic? Except it's awkward powerful girl comes from another dimension instead of another country.

Nanatsu no Taizai: Imashime no Fukkatsu: It back, and this didn't leave me with a limp dick like that filler arc from 1 1/2 years ago.

Overlord II: Lots of story building right now, but I really love this series so hoping this season won't disappoint.

Pop Team Epic: Enjoying how the anime has done more than just the manga segments. I have watched both halves of this since I find both the male and female voices fitting in their own senses.

Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san:I like food too.

Ryuuou no Oshigoto!: It's cute, that's about all it has. Kinda cringy tho, but not just because middle schoolers wanting to fuck the mc, just stop playing shogi like an anime character.

Slow Start: Lolis, that's it. Boring lolis. All it has going for it, again, is that the girls are cute.

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho: The op makes me wonder if they are actually going to make it to Antarctica, or if they are going to spend the whole season trying to get there and we will be left with a "see you in season 2". Very high school girl anime on having struggles and sharing struggles.

Toji no Miko:I have NEVER given up on a series after only 2 minutes, but even that 2 minutes was a huge fucking waste of my time. I don't care about finding out what this is about, the animation is so abysmal this needs to just disappear. Even the laziest and sketchiest of animation looks tolerable and decent next to this. You do not shake the whole screen like that, just don't.

Violet Evergarden: In a series that everyone either really likes or really hates, I'll have to sit on the side of enjoying this one. It's definitely a very KyoAni series, but at the same time I kind of forgot they did it.

Yuru Camp△: wow that's a really cute camping ad.

Dagashi Kashi 2: Still snack titties, but would still rather have full episodes than shorts that are mostly the op and ed.
I watched all those you mentioned in Red colors 1 episode each, and indeed, they are really bad even if i want to like it due to the synopsis being mildly interesting
Green Platinum

dNextGen wrote:

I watched all those you mentioned in Red colors 1 episode each, and indeed, they are really bad even if i want to like it due to the synopsis being mildly interesting
I wish you would contribute something meaningful even once.
dNextGen
what? what makes you say so?

i havent contributed anything worthwhile to the osu community at all afaik

and if you feel the need to say that in a thread where we discuss newly released cartoon then im sorry if that wiggles your OCD a bit
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

dNextGen wrote:

I try to give everything I watch at least 3 episodes, and I wanted so bad for some of these to be good and maybe redeem themselves, but when they keep going down that slippery slope I must accept there is no hope.

Like with Grancrest Senki, right off the bat a lot of comments and early opinions were very mixed. It made me hopeful seeing the comments that were like "It's so accurate to the source material, the animation is beautiful and just how I imagined it", and then others saying it moves really fast and barely skims the surface of anything. Buuut when I find myself trying to play games on my phone more than actually want to watch it, I must accept that all hope is lost and it's time to bury this mistake and move on.
Green Platinum

dNextGen wrote:

what? what makes you say so?

i havent contributed anything worthwhile to the osu community at all afaik

and if you feel the need to say that in a thread where we discuss newly released cartoon then im sorry if that wiggles your OCD a bit
Whenever you post in these seasonal anime thread it is often a similar message "All red". I don't watch anime seasonally so it would be nice to have you elaborate on your widespread dissatisfaction especially for shows that seem to capture the hearts and minds of everyone else.
Justykanna

Green Platinum wrote:

If we broaden our scope we can also consider Kara no Kyoukai so Nasuverse works can be great without intervention by the Urobucher though. While I also think you mischaracterised Shirou it isn't exactly relevant as F/SN's writing quality is still controversial at best.

Justykanna wrote:

I think it is meaningful each studio will spice it's works with it's own particular flavour however a show will live or die with it's creative team so it is important to grasp the whole picture. People will make excuses about "Infinite budget works" and KyoAni but in reality that is largely untrue.
The first Fate / Stay Night was terrible imo. I watched it years ago and that was when I gave up on the series (which may or may not have been fair). I only watched Zero and Unlimited Blade Works because my brother was so hyped up about them.

Oh yeah, I can see the studio being relevant for sure. I'm just not one of those people that aren't completely into which studio is a reputation for what.

Anyways.

Beatless: This reminds me of Guilty Crown... which can be a good thing or not, depending on your view of that one. I like how it looks and it gives me enough that I want to see more. The second episode preview leaves me slightly pessimistic though because I really hope that's now what this whole thing will be about. We'll see, I'll give it a go!

Death March To The Parallel World Rhapsody: It's nice that they give this MMO-anime a bit of an intro story, but man, everything after that went completely to hell. Right off the first episode, this dev just randomly attains God stats? I'm not going on with this one.

The Seven Deadly Sins: Revival of the Commandments: I wasn't the biggest fan of the main season and the random filler arc was straight up silly. I'm not terribly intrigued by this episode either. It just doesn't leave me with anything and it didn't tell us anything outside of, "Oh, by the way, don't forget about ___". I'll give it an episode or two more because I feel like it could be decent, but man, this episode was boring.

Violet Evergarden: Holy, this one looks really nice and the OST is so touching. (Hearing Seven Deadly Sins' Elizabeth's VO as Violet makes me giggle a little) I didn't think I'd like this one at all but since it was on Netflix, I figured, why not give it a try? It's worthy of a few more episodes. I just dunno what the goal of the story is yet.
EneT
Pop Team Epic: This is the only anime I'm watching rn other than Boruto. My attention is very lacking when it comes to anime recently so it's ADHD-esque style is good at keeping me interested.

For every other anime this season I'd like to watch, I'd rather wait until they finish. I was originally planning to watch darling in the franxx since I really like trigger but I'm not a big fan of A1 so I'll hold off on it and I'm holding off on violet evergarden too because I usually prefer to binge watch kyoani works rather than watch them weekly.