forum

144hz vs 240hz

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lumpa
I recently got the Asus pg258q (240hz) and I see no difference between this one and my Vg248qe(144hz). the difference between 60 and 144 is huge but honestly it's not the same between 144 and 240.

You guys did you see a difference for osu ? If so, did you see the difference the first time or it takes time to see it ?
Implojin
I made the exact same upgrade about a month ago, VG248QE to PG258Q, and I think 240hz is worth it, generally speaking. For me, the difference was immediately noticeable.

[Have you actually enabled 240hz refresh rate in your OS? It's pushing ~60% more frames, it's hard *not* to see the difference, in my opinion.]

With that said, I think the first gen of 240hz monitors still have some issues. Maybe the acer or benq are better?

(Honestly, it's probably better to wait for the 2nd gen of 240hz monitors.)

Mini-PG258Q rant below:

My PG258Q has a ton of backlight bleed along the bottom of the screen, and less-but-still-visible backlight bleed along the left and right sides. My PG258Q also has a weird bug where sometimes it takes a column of pixels from the middle of the screen and displays them along the left side of the screen, when g-sync is enabled and the monitor comes out of sleep mode. These problems are pretty ridiculous for such an expensive monitor, and I'm thinking about RMA'ing it because of the backlight bleed.

edit- Oh, yeah, lightboost mode on the VG248QE also has a better image, with less ghosting, than ULMB on the PG258Q. This *really* shouldn't be true, but it is. The only real benefit of the PG258Q is 240hz+gsync.

Also, I don't like how the PG258Q's power input is provided through one of those asus AC adapters like they ship with their netbooks. You know the ones, their plugs break if you so much as fart at them. Don't trust the thing further than I can spit.

Everything about the PG258Q screams shitty GAMER bling designed to break early. It's a shame, because the VG248QE was a good monitor except for the blue tint to the colors, which was fixable with an ICC profile.
ManuelOsuPlayer
I read time ago what the eyes can't see the difference but brain does.
Frikandel
I don't think you will see much difference. At some point your eyes' ''refresh rate'' won't be able to notice any further increase.

However, it is probably possible to get a placebo effect if you believe enough.
E m i
placebo is a word used to describe when no change is perceived and turned into an improvement
going from 3.4722222ms average latency to 2.083333ms average latency, and stuff like that, is not placebo because there is an existent change
Akanagi
Yeah it's definitely worth spending 500~ bucks on a monitor with medium image quality and worse responsiveness, that will have literally no benefits to any game but osu, (not really though, given you might get more lag) unless you have the setup to also run other (more demanding) games ABOVE 144hz.

Not mentioning that in several games a refresh rate of 240hz isn't really beneficial (league).

Obviously Momiji will come along and say that it makes a calculated 0,000123% difference that, on a scale of a 100000 playcount COULD potentially net you one or two misses less, not factoring in that it might screw with the way you've adjusted to your reading which probably also give you a few more 100s here and there, maybe a miss (I know I had a similar experience on 60hz vs 144hz when it came to bhopping)

However, Momiji is not factoring in the increased response / input lag that certain monitors bring with them. The ASUS VG248QE has the lowest input lag on the market right now IIRC, while the newer 240hz models have a slightly higher delay to them, so you actually would be downgrading in terms of osu! if we were looking at it realistically.

The AOC AG251FG has twice the input lag of the VG248QE, the ViewSonic apparently comes with an input lag four times higher than the ASUS VG248QE.

You can't really judge a book by its cover. Just because a panel comes with 1ms response and a higher hz doesn't necessarily mean it has 1ms input lag / response time in a realistic environment.

Now I'm not saying 240hz isn't desirable, but it's reaaaally not worth the investment JUST for the improved frame rate which really only affects one game at best. If you play something like L4D2 or anything "twitchy" and where you can get a stable 240FPS or atleast over 144hz granted you can make use of G-sync or variable sync, then it also benefits you there.

For osu however I feel it's more giving a smooth feel to the entire game rather than actually noticably boosting your performance, and in case of input lag & responsiveness, you'd actually be downgrading if you changed from a VG248QE to a 240hz model right now.

There are obviously other benefits like no PWM and sometimes better image quality, but given the right preset you can have a decent image quality on the VG ( and other TNs ) already.

TL;DR

Don't go 240hz. Wait until it's cheaper or IPS 144hz panels get cheaper so you can have both smooth gameplay and good image quality.

Frikandel wrote:

placebo is a word used to describe when no change is perceived and turned into an improvement
going from 3.4722222ms average latency to 2.083333ms average latency, and stuff like that, is not placebo because there is an existent change

Hence it would be placebo. You don't perceive a 1,4ms change in latency.
Rynnavinx
I mean, this is what emilia had to say about it

So unless you have amazing eyes, it probably won't make much of a difference for osu for a huge majority of players.
E m i

Rayne wrote:

Yeah it's definitely worth spending 500~ bucks on a monitor with medium image quality and worse responsiveness, that will have literally no benefits to any game but osu, (not really though, given you might get more lag) unless you have the setup to also run other (more demanding) games ABOVE 144hz.

Not mentioning that in several games a refresh rate of 240hz isn't really beneficial (league).

Obviously Momiji will come along and say that it makes a calculated 0,000123% difference that, on a scale of a 100000 playcount COULD potentially net you one or two misses less, not factoring in that it might screw with the way you've adjusted to your reading which probably also give you a few more 100s here and there, maybe a miss (I know I had a similar experience on 60hz vs 144hz when it came to bhopping)

However, Momiji is not factoring in the increased response / input lag that certain monitors bring with them. The ASUS VG248QE has the lowest input lag on the market right now IIRC, while the newer 240hz models have a slightly higher delay to them, so you actually would be downgrading in terms of osu! if we were looking at it realistically.

The AOC AG251FG has twice the input lag of the VG248QE, the ViewSonic apparently comes with an input lag four times higher than the ASUS VG248QE.

You can't really judge a book by its cover. Just because a panel comes with 1ms response and a higher hz doesn't necessarily mean it has 1ms input lag / response time in a realistic environment.

Now I'm not saying 240hz isn't desirable, but it's reaaaally not worth the investment JUST for the improved frame rate which really only affects one game at best. If you play something like L4D2 or anything "twitchy" and where you can get a stable 240FPS or atleast over 144hz granted you can make use of G-sync or variable sync, then it also benefits you there.

For osu however I feel it's more giving a smooth feel to the entire game rather than actually noticably boosting your performance, and in case of input lag & responsiveness, you'd actually be downgrading if you changed from a VG248QE to a 240hz model right now.

There are obviously other benefits like no PWM and sometimes better image quality, but given the right preset you can have a decent image quality on the VG ( and other TNs ) already.

TL;DR

Don't go 240hz. Wait until it's cheaper or IPS 144hz panels get cheaper so you can have both smooth gameplay and good image quality.

Frikandel wrote:

Hence it would be placebo. You don't perceive a 1,4ms change in latency.
If you're taking into account the non-refresh rate portion of input lag then you're just doing a better job than me, I was trying to isolate only one factor from the entire situation (refresh rate)

with that in mind tom's hardware, using the same testing method, got a 20ms result for a full black to white transition for PG258Q (from input, not from the start of the transition) vs 23ms for VG248QE.
6ms vs 7ms for the transition itself.

Also if a change exists, and you don't perceive it (which is normal), then it's still not placebo because it exists, sorry :(

And regarding other games, higher refresh rate will always smooth out framerates below the refresh rate, cause the frames to align better with the refreshes, and decrease the stutter duration.

60 fps / 240 hz = every 4th refresh
80 fps / 240 hz = every 3rd refresh
120 fps / 240 hz = every 2nd refresh

36 fps / 144 hz = every 4th refresh
48 fps / 144hz = every 3rd refresh
72 fps / 144 hz = every 2nd refresh

what about 60hz? only 30 and 60 is possible, anything else gives you stutter (and the stutter is also bigger) :( fuck gsync, fuck freesync.

And yes I know momentary frametimes are what matters, not frames rendered during a 1000ms period.
autoteleology

Rayne wrote:

The ASUS VG248QE has the lowest input lag on the market right now IIRC
I can pretty much guarantee this information isn't true.

For one, my monitor exists: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2720z.htm

Besides, response time's not everything. It also is nice to see less sample-held image blur on the screen. I can only hope for the day I can do a spinner and just see one image of my cursor, and not, like, twenty.
E m i
exactly exactly exactly exactly.
Implojin

Momiji wrote:

what about 60hz? only 30 and 60 is possible, anything else gives you stutter (and the stutter is also bigger) :( fuck gsync, fuck freesync.

And yes I know momentary frametimes are what matters, not frames rendered during a 1000ms period.
The g-sync module physically replaces the scaling hardware in g-sync monitors. This means that they don't have to scanout at hz/2 at a frame miss, but can instead scanout at a fraction of hz/2. (Read: When the frame is ready.)

This is actually really good at greatly reducing microstutter, especially if you have some older hardware in your system like one of the overclocked K-series cpus with only 4 threads.

I'd still warn people away from the current generation of 240hz monitors unless they *want* to be bleeding edge adopters with the buying-it-twice problem that always entails, but *on paper* the tech is sound.
E m i

Implojin wrote:

Momiji wrote:

The g-sync module physically replaces the scaling hardware in g-sync monitors. This means that they don't have to scanout at hz/2 at a frame miss, but can instead scanout at a fraction of hz/2. (Read: When the frame is ready.)

This is actually really good at greatly reducing microstutter, especially if you have some older hardware in your system like one of the overclocked K-series cpus with only 4 threads.

I'd still warn people away from the current generation of 240hz monitors unless they *want* to be bleeding edge adopters with the buying-it-twice problem that always entails, but *on paper* the tech is sound.
it's good as a non-bruteforce method but i prefer the brute force ones for lower input lag lol. Unless g-sync and freesync got better recently.
Topic Starter
Lumpa
@Implojin Yes I did that. Honestly I prefer keep playing on my 144hz for the lower input lag . Thank you guys for your answers. So I will wait for the 240hz next generations
E m i
i hope tom's hardware is wrong and you're seeing the pg258q have worse input lag, as opposed to just swallowing what 1 person on 1 forum said lol
Haxwill
In my opinion, your biggest gain from increasing your refresh rate would be with AR11 if you are experienced, with a 60hz, it would take 16 milliseconds for your monitor to update, with 240, it only take 4 milliseconds, essentially meaning you will be able to react 12 milliseconds faster.
NixXSkate

Emersyne wrote:

I can only hope for the day I can do a spinner and just see one image of my cursor, and not, like, twenty.
But you know you're spinning fast when your spin starts to look like it's moving backwards
tokaku
hi 240hz user reporting in

i can see the difference between 144hz and 240hz
144hz is alright, it's playable, but it feels like it could be better
240hz is pure fluid, like water

144hz is shitty for AR11 unless you play it with HD, which I don't
240hz is great for me, as a HRDT player, it looks like the circles are going down normally as you would see on AR9, except it goes down really fast, the frames are the same but compressed kinda stuff, I'm not sure if I'm making any understandable statements right now

but yes 240hz is best for everything
Aegyo

Jolene wrote:

240hz is great for me, as a HRDT player, it looks like the circles are going down normally as you would see on AR9, except it goes down really fast, the frames are the same but compressed kinda stuff, I'm not sure if I'm making any understandable statements right now

Should I get a 240hz then since I am also HRDT
E m i
idk just buy the
540p 480hz
1080p 240hz
4k 120hz
monitor

and everything is going to be ok
tokaku

Aegyo wrote:

yes

Momiji wrote:

idk just buy the
540p 480hz
1080p 240hz
4k 120hz
monitor

what monitor is that I need to know
Wishes

Jolene wrote:

Aegyo wrote:

yes

Momiji wrote:

idk just buy the
540p 480hz
1080p 240hz
4k 120hz
monitor

http://www.zisworks.com/shop
autoteleology

Wishes wrote:

Jolene wrote:

http://www.zisworks.com/shop
best website 2018

B1rd
Don't you know your eyes can only detect 2 1/2 frames a second?
Implojin

Jolene wrote:

Aegyo wrote:

yes

Momiji wrote:

idk just buy the
540p 480hz
1080p 240hz
4k 120hz
monitor

keep an eye on the blur busters forums, they have a user there who occasionally makes and sells custom monitor hardware that is a year or two ahead of the mass market tech

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3512

there are whispers of 1khz monitors so someone is probably working on something neat behind the scenes
Mulo

Jolene wrote:

:thinking:
that is there input delay? and, many people say 144 to 240 looks the same. I know clicking circle that object moves faster than object in FPS, but the problem is I can't really feel the smoothness in real life. Playing Osu at PC market doesn't feels right :L
So... Do you think upgrade to 240Hz can really improve my skill? or don't waste money on monitor and just practice more ?
raccoongamer
Uhm, I am still even not sure whether to change my Samsung SyncMaster T220 to IPS 144 Hz monitor, and now I see this.