forum

Unoffical Updated OSX osu! Wineskin Package

posted
Total Posts
456
show more
strwbmilk
im having the same problem, i've tried everything but nothing seems to work. it's just depressing, idk what to do.
Potato242
This worked for me but I don't know for everyone else.
Download the osu!install.exe and rename it to osu!.exe, then replace the osu!.exe on your osu folder with this one.
oxyjinned

Kpham9906 wrote:

oxyjinned wrote:

"The program osu!.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close" "This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine." ---- this is the issue i received after trying to open osu! may i know if there's any updates to resolve this issue soon?

its so depressing that i cant play osu anymore so please help!! ;;
Everyone one is having that problem right now and sadly there is no solution yet besides changing from wineskin to xquartz but that will make your game very laggy
sigh looks like i'll have to wait then ;; thank you doe for the alternative suggestion!!
bBob_21

Potato242 wrote:

This worked for me but I don't know for everyone else.
Download the osu!install.exe and rename it to osu!.exe, then replace the osu!.exe on your osu folder with this one.
Can confirm, problem is fixed but performance is bad.


Nvm it works well now just leave it for a bit.
oxyjinned

Potato242 wrote:

This worked for me but I don't know for everyone else.
Download the osu!install.exe and rename it to osu!.exe, then replace the osu!.exe on your osu folder with this one.
WAIT HOWWW im so confused ;;

UPDATE: THANK YOUUU I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!!! OMY IM SO THANKFUL THNKKK U :")
strwbmilk

Potato242 wrote:

This worked for me but I don't know for everyone else.
Download the osu!install.exe and rename it to osu!.exe, then replace the osu!.exe on your osu folder with this one.
ok this works but when i open it it says to update so should i update it or leave it?


UPDATE: ITS WROKING JUST FINE. THANK U SO MUCH!!!LIFE SAVER
Topic Starter
Technocoder
To be clear, are you guys running on macOS Mojave (or below) or macOS Catalina?
In any case, if you're able to get it running on XQuartz, then it probably means that some part of the graphics driver for Wine doesn't work well with osu! The official Wineskin engines haven't been updated for some time now, and I can't reproduce the problem on my machine.

For this reason then, @slc's Wineskin wrapper may work better than mine at the moment, which I'll directly quote here:

slc wrote:

hi everyone!

i somehow managed to make a modern osu! wineskin from scratch. it actually works, and i've been testing it for the past hour or so on macOS mojave. it's pretty good, so i'll be releasing it here if that's okay.

here's what's different:
  1. uses the wineskin fork mentioned by Electric_espeon: https://github.com/vitor251093/wineskin. much more stable and reliable than original wineskin. i used the binaries from here: https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer
  2. runs wine 4.0-rc3 (WS9Wine4.0-rc3) instead of wine 2.22 (WS9Wine2.22)
  3. uses wineskin wrapper version 2.8.8beta6 instead of 2.6.2

stuff that was fixed:
  1. previously, large image assets such as map backgrounds or skin elements would overload the game. these are now handled fine without any freezing (for example, beasttrollmc's new noel skin and sotarks's pp compilation no longer hang the game)
  2. i haven't tested this for over a day yet, but it seems to be much more stable now, being less prone to crashes!
  3. it seems that most of the graphical lag has been eliminated (for the most part), seems to be less screen tearing (i use 60fps limiter and played for a bit, was buttery smooth)
  4. links no longer take 5-30 minutes to open in your browser (thank god), now open instantly

stuff that wasn't fixed:
  1. cjk fonts still don't work correctly
  2. tccd (contact daemon on macOS) keeps on hogging CPU, causing lag (for now, you can just kill it from activity monitor)

stuff that wasn't tested at all:
  1. f.lux (i use night shift)
  2. multi monitor/screen


download: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=16lR87eCVYtpjiK6KKA4rNghfpimnj1aE&export=download

as always, make sure the app isn't sandboxed by moving it somewhere, and right click > open because it's unsigned and gatekeeper doesn't like that

if you are getting a "osu! can't be opened. You should move it to the trash." message, open Terminal and run this command with the path to the osu!.app:


sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "~/path/to/my/osu\!.app"


special thanks to Technocoder for his work and giving me inspiration, Electric_espeon for mentioning the fork in the first place

happy holidays and stuff! 🎄 <3

(btw, this wineskin doesn't necessitate xquartz, just like the original from technocoder)


The installation instructions are pretty much the same as mine, and the Wineskin engine has been updated to be far newer than the one in my wrapper. Please let me know if slc's wrapper works better.

Seems like this advice is working well for most people:

Potato242 wrote:

This worked for me but I don't know for everyone else.
Download the osu!install.exe and rename it to osu!.exe, then replace the osu!.exe on your osu folder with this one.
Perhaps, I missed the breaking update?
Kpham9906
O wow, I should've just done that, I reinstalled the whole game. My BEATMAPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CelestialKitty
a new update broke osu, when i try to open osu the Wine debugger pops up and a message reads
Program error
the program osu!.exe ha encountured a serious problem and needs to close.we are sorry for the inconvinince

This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine.

Should I update Wine or just delete Osu and try to reinstall? Though, I do not know how to update Wine and it is a huge ordeal to reinstall Osu.

I can message you the backtrack.txt file if you need it.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Please read the reply I've posted two posts before which I have quoted here:
Specifically that, if you update the osu! executable manually, it should work again.

Technocoder wrote:

To be clear, are you guys running on macOS Mojave (or below) or macOS Catalina?
In any case, if you're able to get it running on XQuartz, then it probably means that some part of the graphics driver for Wine doesn't work well with osu! The official Wineskin engines haven't been updated for some time now, and I can't reproduce the problem on my machine.

For this reason then, @slc's Wineskin wrapper may work better than mine at the moment, which I'll directly quote here:

[box=slc wrapper]

slc wrote:

hi everyone!

i somehow managed to make a modern osu! wineskin from scratch. it actually works, and i've been testing it for the past hour or so on macOS mojave. it's pretty good, so i'll be releasing it here if that's okay.

here's what's different:
  1. uses the wineskin fork mentioned by Electric_espeon: https://github.com/vitor251093/wineskin. much more stable and reliable than original wineskin. i used the binaries from here: https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer
  2. runs wine 4.0-rc3 (WS9Wine4.0-rc3) instead of wine 2.22 (WS9Wine2.22)
  3. uses wineskin wrapper version 2.8.8beta6 instead of 2.6.2

stuff that was fixed:
  1. previously, large image assets such as map backgrounds or skin elements would overload the game. these are now handled fine without any freezing (for example, beasttrollmc's new noel skin and sotarks's pp compilation no longer hang the game)
  2. i haven't tested this for over a day yet, but it seems to be much more stable now, being less prone to crashes!
  3. it seems that most of the graphical lag has been eliminated (for the most part), seems to be less screen tearing (i use 60fps limiter and played for a bit, was buttery smooth)
  4. links no longer take 5-30 minutes to open in your browser (thank god), now open instantly

stuff that wasn't fixed:
  1. cjk fonts still don't work correctly
  2. tccd (contact daemon on macOS) keeps on hogging CPU, causing lag (for now, you can just kill it from activity monitor)

stuff that wasn't tested at all:
  1. f.lux (i use night shift)
  2. multi monitor/screen


download: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=16lR87eCVYtpjiK6KKA4rNghfpimnj1aE&export=download

as always, make sure the app isn't sandboxed by moving it somewhere, and right click > open because it's unsigned and gatekeeper doesn't like that

if you are getting a "osu! can't be opened. You should move it to the trash." message, open Terminal and run this command with the path to the osu!.app:


sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "~/path/to/my/osu\!.app"


special thanks to Technocoder for his work and giving me inspiration, Electric_espeon for mentioning the fork in the first place

happy holidays and stuff! 🎄 <3

(btw, this wineskin doesn't necessitate xquartz, just like the original from technocoder)


The installation instructions are pretty much the same as mine, and the Wineskin engine has been updated to be far newer than the one in my wrapper. Please let me know if slc's wrapper works better.

Seems like this advice is working well for most people:

Potato242 wrote:

This worked for me but I don't know for everyone else.
Download the osu!install.exe and rename it to osu!.exe, then replace the osu!.exe on your osu folder with this one.
Perhaps, I missed the breaking update?[/box]
Launchpad
if you want to play osu!, do NOT update to macOS Catalina, it doesn't support 32 bit apps and our wineskins are 32 bit. allegedly the wine wiki says that .NET under 64 bit wine isn't supported but i haven't tested.

also, i found a possible fix to the performance issue. if you enable retina mode in the mac driver's options, it basically eliminates the lag from swapping buffers. but then the game looks like this:



it looks like the way osu! draws to the window when retina mode is on is wonky. luckily switching to your native, true screen resolution from a downscaled one fixes that. the mouse cursor also shrinks for some reason? winedrv might be setting the display mode, which is also why quickly cmd+tabbing is no longer possible.

also, performance is improved greatly, but it appears that the dimensions of the screen are different now and your sensitivity settings will have to be adjusted.

osu! runs at almost windows level performance with retina mode on, so that's pretty great. i can now uncap my framerate and run at my real resolution.
Akael

slc wrote:

if you want to play osu!, do NOT update to macOS Catalina, it doesn't support 32 bit apps and our wineskins are 32 bit. allegedly the wine wiki says that .NET under 64 bit wine isn't supported but i haven't tested.

also, i found a possible fix to the performance issue. if you enable retina mode in the mac driver's options, it basically eliminates the lag from swapping buffers. but then the game looks like this:



it looks like the way osu! draws to the window when retina mode is on is wonky. luckily switching to your native, true screen resolution from a downscaled one fixes that. the mouse cursor also shrinks for some reason? winedrv might be setting the display mode, which is also why quickly cmd+tabbing is no longer possible.

also, performance is improved greatly, but it appears that the dimensions of the screen are different now and your sensitivity settings will have to be adjusted.

osu! runs at almost windows level performance with retina mode on, so that's pretty great. i can now uncap my framerate and run at my real resolution.
Where are the "retina mode", "mac driver's options" ?
SevenChords
i've read the same about osu not going to run on macos catalina, and i was wondering how hard it could be to finally, after all these years, make a native macos version for the old client, without the need of any wrapper to support windows features, i mean, lazer already has a native macos version that doesn't require wine or anything like that, why can't there be one for the old client? can't be that hard, can it?
Akael
Well all those problems on Mojave finally made me do the switch, i installed windows on my mac trough bootcamp. And it is a delightful.
The game runs smoother than smoothie, resolution is max (unlike the 1440x900 blurry mess), dropped frames are...None, response time is chilling in the low 3-2-1 ms. A pleasure.

Thanks to the mac SSD, shutting off, switching to windows and getting to osu doesn't take more than 30 seconds.

Only major dropback that comes to my mind is that you need at least 37Go to make the windows partition, and you need to add some Gos to make room for osu, which is going to get bigger with time eventually, so that maybe a lot on small configs..
Then there is the fact that it isn't on you os x partition, so away from your other stuff.
An other point maybe, is that the windows instalation is time consuming, and kinda buggy at the very first launch (it is ok after reboot tough).

It would be the best if it was available native, but well this does it... ┐(゚~゚)┌
Launchpad

Akael wrote:

Where are the "retina mode", "mac driver's options" ?
10 days late, better late than never (was on vacation, sorry.)

right click osu! in finder, show package contents, right click wineskin, open (you need to do this or else gatekeeper will complain), then press set screen options

although... if you can play with the stuttering, i'd rather you do that because using retina mode makes osu! kinda "unstable"

edit: just discovered it breaks every time you open the game so you have to turn on/turn off letterboxing to get it fix itself? ugh.

SevenChords wrote:

i've read the same about osu not going to run on macos catalina, and i was wondering how hard it could be to finally, after all these years, make a native macos version for the old client, without the need of any wrapper to support windows features, i mean, lazer already has a native macos version that doesn't require wine or anything like that, why can't there be one for the old client? can't be that hard, can it?
the old client is written in C# and uses .NET Framework, neither of which play well with macOS. afaik, it would be an extreme pain to try to get this to work on macs, possibly involving a total codebase rewrite (which is what lazer is, cough cough) if there's not some kind of magical compat layer. (macs use Swift/Objective-C and Cocoa instead of C# and .NET Framework.)

and i'm not ppy, but if i had to guess the osu! codebase has accumulated lots of technical debt over the years since 2007. when you consider the difference in framework/language in addition to that, it's kinda overwhelming: it would take weeks and weeks of hacking to even possibly get the old client to work, and even then it wouldn't be worth it; lazer is already in progress.
peppy
"can't be that hard"
this is where i kindly tell you to do it yourself ;). there *is* a reason we threw away everything and started lazer from scratch after over a year of attempting to make the osu-stable codebase work.

As an update, lazer is going amazingly and if you don't care about ranking it is in a super-usable state.

As for forward support for this wine build, I have an updated wrapper running WS10 and am in the process of testing it against catalina. Check back over the next day or two.
peppy
A new official release is available here. This one runs 64-bit and should be fine on catalina, apart from maybe not being signed. Please make sure to copy your data files manually. Keep the old app around rather than overwriting it, just in case.

Please report back how it works. If all is good I will post against osx.ppy.sh and we can deprecate this thread.
Topic Starter
Technocoder

peppy wrote:

A new official release is available here. This one runs 64-bit and should be fine on catalina, apart from maybe not being signed. Please make sure to copy your data files manually. Keep the old app around rather than overwriting it, just in case.

Please report back how it works. If all is good I will post against osx.ppy.sh and we can deprecate this thread.

"osu! is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the bin. is what it says, both extracted using Archive Utility and The Unarchiver and the unzip command. Running macOS Mojave. unzip doesn't show any integrity errors however.

Edit: chmod +x or chmod 777 also does not work.
peppy
I tested unzipping here and it worked fine. You have to 100% ensure you use the built-in unarchive tool, else the execute bit will be lost. I'll use .dmg for the final distribution.
abeq
Same thing as technocoder...and I used the built in tool.
But it does work if you run the WineskinLauncher through the terminal.
peppy
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Does not work with both Archive Utility (built in extractor) and the Unarchiver. With or without chmod +x. I tried opening the Wineskin application itself and it gives: Error writing file. The folder "exec2756391001.bat" doesn't exist. As stated by Abequinn, opening Contents/MacOS/WineskinLauncher directly from terminal works fine.

Edit: Notable error in Console:
AMFI: Check-fix enabled for binary '/private/var/folders/m1/9y08_z153td2s0mqp0yxw0mr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/1B854C68-2828-4A61-AB90-30C76E8A3102/d/osu!.app/Contents/MacOS/WineskinLauncher' with TeamID 'RD56V43GW9', identifier 'com.yourcompany.WineskinLauncher': broken signature treated as unsigned without privileges. This workaround will not work for software built on or after 10.12.


Upon attempting to codesign manually (sudo codesign --force --sign - osu\!.app), I get: osu!.app: unsealed contents present in the bundle root which might be the osu! icon?

Edit: Fixed with sudo xattr -rc osu!.app, which makes osu! run fine so it does seem to be a code signing or gatekeeper issue.

Edit: Couldn't get the default songs to load for some reason but beatmaps loaded manually work perfectly fine. Japanese characters show as boxes though which was probably expected.

Edit: Editor works fine for the most part. Menu bar still shows as a black strip but Song Setup window now shows fine.
peppy
Aha I must have local files whicha re allowing this to run for me. Should be able to fix that up.
peppy
@Technocoder the plan is to generate a script to build this from scratch, so it can be run by users that don't want to consume large binary releases. Are there any things missing from the new build that worked in yours? I know that CJK support should be easy to add back by installing the fake font mappings, at least.
Topic Starter
Technocoder

peppy wrote:

@Technocoder the plan is to generate a script to build this from scratch, so it can be run by users that don't want to consume large binary releases. Are there any things missing from the new build that worked in yours? I know that CJK support should be easy to add back by installing the fake font mappings, at least.


That's a pretty cool way of doing things.
As far as I can tell, all the features in my build exists in yours including dual monitor setups.
My Boring Name

peppy wrote:

A new official release is available here. This one runs 64-bit and should be fine on catalina, apart from maybe not being signed.
I'm on the most recent public beta of Catalina. After using the built-in Archive Utility to unzip the file, I tried opening the app from the Applications folder and nothing would happen when I opened it. Running WineskinLauncher also didn't work either; the process would complete itself immediately after I launched it. The Wineskin app still works fine though, so I did a test run and this was what I got:
/Applications/osu!.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib64/../bin/wine-preloader: line 2: /Applications/osu!.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib64/../bin/osu!stable 64612270101Wine-preloader: Bad CPU type in executable

000d:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1359

0012:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x240000 0 0x23e6e0 4 stub

0012:fixme:wer:WerSetFlags (2) stub!

0012:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x0 1 0x0 0 stub

0017:fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000380, 00000000): partial stub.

/Applications/osu!.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib64/../bin/wine-preloader: line 2: /Applications/osu!.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib64/../bin/osu!stable 64612270101Wine-preloader: Bad CPU type in executable

peppy wrote:

Please try this one instead:

https://assets.ppy.sh/macOS/osu!%2020190709-2.app.zip

Same results & logs as the other build, but the logs gave me one more thing:
/Applications/osu!.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib64/../bin/wine64-preloader: line 2: 42367 Killed: 9 FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=35" DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="${WINESKIN_LIB_PATH_FOR_FALLBACK}" "$(dirname "$0")/osu!stable 64612270101Wine64-preloader" "$@"
peppy
Thanks for the report. On further investigation, it looks like running on catalina will be impossible due to wine limitations. I'm not sure if this is the death of the wine project or not (that will required further reading) but it's probably worth noting (and not upgrading) for the time being.
kingyolo67
When I try to open the game it just tells me that it is 'Damaged' and that I should move it to the trash. Any advise?
I should probably mention that my mac is running on El Capitan.
peppy
Sorry for leaving this half-way. Turns out the build I made doesn't work well on catalina.
lunarperu
I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

I'll go to download the .zip file, and get it downloaded already unzipped and in application format, which I found a bit strange. I'd go and open it manually, by selecting "Open" and it dose literally nothing. I'll keep trying and I eventually get an error of "This application "osu!" can't be opened."

I went through wineskin and did a test run but nothing has happened at all.

I've also tried some of the most recent links above, and I got the same "osu! is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the bin." With the same version I didn't have to unzip it either.
Topic Starter
Technocoder

lunarperu wrote:

I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

I'll go to download the .zip file, and get it downloaded already unzipped and in application format, which I found a bit strange. I'd go and open it manually, by selecting "Open" and it dose literally nothing. I'll keep trying and I eventually get an error of "This application "osu!" can't be opened."

I went through wineskin and did a test run but nothing has happened at all.

I've also tried some of the most recent links above, and I got the same "osu! is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the bin." With the same version I didn't have to unzip it either.

See the osu! or Wineskin will not open! of my guide: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/679205
Specifically, you need to run the sudo xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine 'osu!.app' command in Terminal on osu! (or at least I'm pretty sure that's the issue).
Samuna_Draw
Hi um I find it unable to open any songs at all, is that normal?
Reiyer
Runs perfectly fine but there's visible input delay with a wired mouse. I'm running it on my second monitor, could that be an issue? On Mohave. Great work btw!
Paydru

Reiyer wrote:

Runs perfectly fine but there's visible input delay with a wired mouse. I'm running it on my second monitor, could that be an issue? On Mohave. Great work btw!
i play with tablet but whenever i try mouse it always has input delay/lag. So i think thats just a problem the build has.
Graypes-
i've been using the Wineskin fine for the past 9 months or so but it suddenly started spazzing like crazy. the program opens but doesn't run at a decent fps rate (it runs around 20fps for some reason) and then drops to not even 5fps at some points and lags my whole computer when closing it out. i've tried everything on your other thread and reinstalling the program; nothing worked.

EDIT: in case you're curious, i'm running on Mojave and always have been but the issues are recent. i also updated the engine and everything too and tried lower settings but nothing seems to work.
Launchpad
with catalina coming up, just a reminder to not update to it if you want to play osu! on your mac.

possible solutions:

  1. wait for wine to work on catalina: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32590
  2. wait for lazer: tbd
ZeltoGMD
I am trying to currently run osu! on a MacBook Air. It worked before, but I was fiddling with the settings and accidentally broke the wrapper by enabling "Compatibility Mode." I did uninstall and reinstall it, but now nothing is working.

I would like a resolution to this. If I need to send any form of logs, please tell me (how to get to the logs) and I will show them to resolve this problem.

I hope to hear from you soon.
Stingy

ZeltoGMD wrote:

I am trying to currently run osu! on a MacBook Air. It worked before, but I was fiddling with the settings and accidentally broke the wrapper by enabling "Compatibility Mode." I did uninstall and reinstall it, but now nothing is working.

I would like a resolution to this. If I need to send any form of logs, please tell me (how to get to the logs) and I will show them to resolve this problem.

I hope to hear from you soon.
You didn't have to un/reinstall ^^; just go into the osu config files and change its value back to 0!
ZeltoGMD

Stingy wrote:

ZeltoGMD wrote:

I am trying to currently run osu! on a MacBook Air. It worked before, but I was fiddling with the settings and accidentally broke the wrapper by enabling "Compatibility Mode." I did uninstall and reinstall it, but now nothing is working.

I would like a resolution to this. If I need to send any form of logs, please tell me (how to get to the logs) and I will show them to resolve this problem.

I hope to hear from you soon.
You didn't have to un/reinstall ^^; just go into the osu config files and change its value back to 0!
So, I'm not good when it comes to files and stuff. Can you tell me how to do it?
Stingy

ZeltoGMD wrote:

Stingy wrote:

ZeltoGMD wrote:

I am trying to currently run osu! on a MacBook Air. It worked before, but I was fiddling with the settings and accidentally broke the wrapper by enabling "Compatibility Mode." I did uninstall and reinstall it, but now nothing is working.

I would like a resolution to this. If I need to send any form of logs, please tell me (how to get to the logs) and I will show them to resolve this problem.

I hope to hear from you soon.
You didn't have to un/reinstall ^^; just go into the osu config files and change its value back to 0!
So, I'm not good when it comes to files and stuff. Can you tell me how to do it?
Yep! So in your osu! folder (there are different ways to find this. the one I use most is clicking the app icon and using Show in Finder, then Show Package Contents) and find the "osu!" folder. (I don't have a specific filepath because I screwed mine up a few months ago lol) and open osu!.<your name>.cfg as a text document. Now change the value MyPcSucks = 1 to MyPcSucks = 0.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply