forum

[resolved] Osu! keeps running updater over and over again

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Metal_BOY97
Hello everyone!

First of all, this is my first time posting something on this forum, so excuse me if the details I'm about to provide are insufficient.

I've played osu! on my Windows XP (SP3) PC on-and-off for about four years without any problems, then all of a sudden this happened. In the game I got a message telling me that my version was too out-of-date to send my scores and that I should update it to keep playing online. My osu! version was by default set to Stable (Latest), but I hadn't opened the game for a month, so I decided to 'manually' update it by using the 'Check for the update availability' option (or something like this, I don't have access to osu! atm). Everytime I clicked it, it started downloading some files but would never finish, giving me some unspecified error ('An error occured during updating'). After a couple of unsuccesful tries I went ahead and changed my osu! version to Beta, hoping it would at least finish updating. It worked, and I tried to restart the game. On restart, the osu! updater window popped up, stayed on for a couple of seconds, suddenly the completion went up to 100% and the application closed. After a moment it opened again, followed the same pattern, closed, and so on. I've noticed that sometimes in the updater window the name 'discord-rpc.dll' flashes before it says 100%, but regardless, the game won't start. I tried reinstalling the game, turning off my antivirus, running as administrator etc, but none of these worked. Do you have any idea if there is a solution? Will I ever be able to play osu! again?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the wall of text)
Death
Make an exception for osu! in your firewall. Delete the file osu!.cfg (the one without your username) in your osu! folder, and try to run osu! again.

If you are still having issues updating please provide the "update.log" file located in your osu!\Logs folder.
Topic Starter
Metal_BOY97
Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. I tried what you suggested, but it didn't work. Here's what my update.txt looks like:

SPOILER
2017-12-22 11:32:06: Missing DLL files 'discord-rpc.dll', forcing repair
2017-12-22 11:32:06: CallbackStatus updated to Checking
2017-12-22 11:32:06:
2017-12-22 11:32:06: Beginning update thread
2017-12-22 11:32:06: Stream: Stable40
2017-12-22 11:32:06:
2017-12-22 11:32:06: Running cleanup..
2017-12-22 11:32:06: Cleanup successful!
2017-12-22 11:32:06: Requesting update information...
Topic Starter
Metal_BOY97
Bump
Metayd
same problem
Topic Starter
Metal_BOY97
Is there really no way to solve it?
Topic Starter
Metal_BOY97
Ok, I've solved it today, I just manually downloaded discord-rpc.dll and copy-pasted it in my osu! directory. The game works like charm.
Chrystian
Bro you saved my life thanks
dangfanut
hey
wut do you mean? i dont know what is osu directory :/
please go details
Deutschbahg
have the same problem too but I tried it all but it still updates itself over and over again... pls help
Death

Deutschbahg wrote:

have the same problem too but I tried it all but it still updates itself over and over again... pls help
If you are using an old installer that you already had your computer, please try downloading the latest installer from home/download and using that instead.

If you are still having issues, please create a new thread.