forum

Slow/weak fingers

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ShinyUAX
Hey guys,

playing almost daily for the last months and my fingers getting weaker and slower instead of faster. My fingers get stiff (almost hurt) while playing long fast parts or fast streams. I am not able to fc 160bpm deathstreams with high acc anymore and I was able to fc 170bpm deathstreams some months ago. Recurrent fast staple streams are almost impossible for me.

Are my hands physically limited or did I do something wrong?
ManuelOsuPlayer
If they hurt take a good break. You should send a photo or video if possible about your hand and arm while streaming isn't normal your hand it's tired playing the amounth you play if you had a good hand possition. Unless you're spaming day and night only streams.
Play this following rhythm, disable score board acc and combo to don't lose focus. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/283252 try to get the mosre closer to SS you can. After play it well you should be able to pick any 150 160 bpm full streams map and play it pretty well. If you can just play low bpm until build enought coordination to jump directly to 180 190bpm. Once you get used to 190 it's pretty easy move 30 bpm more. And once there you can try 240.
It's all about build muscle memory at an easy map to follow and acc and move the coorditation you get there to a few highest bpm maps. Play relaxed following the rhythm and listen the music and the hitsounds after you play the streams.
pandaBee
You should be taking breaks, don't injure your fingers over osu.
Topic Starter
ShinyUAX

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

If they hurt take a good break. You should send a photo or video if possible about your hand and arm while streaming isn't normal your hand it's tired playing the amounth you play if you had a good hand possition. Unless you're spaming day and night only streams.
Play this following rhythm, disable score board acc and combo to don't lose focus. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/283252 try to get the mosre closer to SS you can. After play it well you should be able to pick any 150 160 bpm full streams map and play it pretty well. If you can just play low bpm until build enought coordination to jump directly to 180 190bpm. Once you get used to 190 it's pretty easy move 30 bpm more. And once there you can try 240.
It's all about build muscle memory at an easy map to follow and acc and move the coorditation you get there to a few highest bpm maps. Play relaxed following the rhythm and listen the music and the hitsounds after you play the streams.
Rhythm isnt the problem. Its my stamina and speed. The problem is that I never managed to get over 170 deathstreams. My fingers dont hurt. Just when my fingers tense up while a lot of streaming or hard speed parts its hurting a bit cause my fingers a locking up.
Ninonuko
It's not merely about physical thing, find the right technique and keep playing like that is hard, I find myself not being able to stream on my upper limit due to wrong technique which I notice when I got warmed up.

Tensing is okay, tap hard not. Always try to tap as gently as possible no matter what happens, it's important to keep everything in control and it consumes way less stamina. (Feel free to correct me about this)

Also if you're really afraid to fail the map (since it's very easy to fail on deathstream) it's fine to use nf but just don't slack off, this way you can focus on reading the stream and your technique.
Topic Starter
ShinyUAX
https://youtu.be/ueCTkpGcvqw <- Video of me tapping (sorry for potato quality)

Noticed the hand inner surface starts hurting while streaming.
ManuelOsuPlayer
-You're to far from keyboard. You need to be like 10-30cm closer. Or the keyboard 10cm-30cm close to you. Speed change a lot.
-Your hand/wrist should be at almost same high as the top of the keys. You have it to low. Making you play in a bad possition talking about speed. Put something under your elbow like a book or whatever. Find a confortable possition.
-Try to get your fingers way more stretched. Hand should stop hurt since you don't force the muscles anymore.
-While streaming relax your fingers on top of keys and make pressure instead up and down them like you're jumping. You can up fingers from keyboard if you want play really low bpm, but you can get finger control instead. Your fingers in general should not stop touch the keys while streaming. You have to feel the key. Just move the keys instead the fingers xD
-The movment you do in the video you need put more time between each key press, making a consistenly movment. It feels like you're doing 4 doubles instead a 8 circles stream.
Topic Starter
ShinyUAX

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

1. You're to far from keyboard. You need to be like 10-30cm closer. Or the keyboard 10cm-30cm close to you. Speed change a lot.
2. Your hand/wrist should be at almost same high as the top of the keys. You have it to low. Making you play in a bad possition talking about speed. Put something under your elbow like a book or whatever. Find a confortable possition.
3. Try to get your fingers way more stretched. Hand should stop hurt since you don't force the muscles anymore.
4. While streaming relax your fingers on top of keys and make pressure instead up and down them like you're jumping. You can up fingers from keyboard if you want play really low bpm, but you can get finger control instead. Your fingers in general should not stop touch the keys while streaming. You have to feel the key. Just move the keys instead the fingers xD
5. The movment you do in the video you need put more time between each key press, making a consistenly movment. It feels like you're doing 4 doubles instead a 8 circles stream.
1. Okay
2. Impossible to put something under my elbow because of the result of 1. (ellbow flying in the air) and multiple friends of my have their palms flat on the table and can stream 200+ deathstreams.
3. I dont really get it. But kinda tried to do it.
4. Really hard for me, but trying to adjust to it.
5. My keyboard has mx speed switches = lower activation points. that might be the reason it looks wierd to you.
ManuelOsuPlayer
2. You really need change the high your hand is. It's about injurie yourself, not only about performance. Having the arm very low, your wrist angle it's weird, and you prob will fuck your muscles with time. You need the wrist to be a continuation of the arm, and not weird angles. If you can't put nothing under your elbow, then play without touch the table.
3. Fingers streched --> Muscles relaxed --> More stamina and speed.
4. It's hard to get used, but it's the key to have stamina and coordination.
5. You should not move the fingers under your keys xD Try to find where key triggers and play around it using the less energy you can to activate the keys down. Keep making pressure instead up the fingers away from where the key triggers. Doing really small movement with coordination you can reach insane bpm.
NixXSkate
Use the wrist
Topic Starter
ShinyUAX

NixXSkate wrote:

Use the wrist
how? does not work for me.
ManuelOsuPlayer
https://www.youtube.com/embed/HuZcBwUmjEw I tryied to exagerate the fingers movement so you can see and listen shit.
NixXSkate

ShinyUAX wrote:

how? does not work for me.
Try again
I've struggled with streams for years trying to speed up my fingers and failed. What did make me significantly faster was learning how to stream with my wrist instead of my individual finger movements.

Here's another video

PS- Yeah move your keyboard a bit closer too
Topic Starter
ShinyUAX
I feel like being pranked on. Is this "wrist streaming" really a thing? doesnt work a bit for me and really doesnt make any sense at all.
NixXSkate

ShinyUAX wrote:

I feel like being pranked on. Is this "wrist streaming" really a thing? doesnt work a bit for me and really doesnt make any sense at all.
How can it be a prank if I literally just showed you 2 videos of people doing it and it worked for me? I'm not expecting you to be able to stream 200bpm with it with no previous practice at all, it's a new muscle memory, it's like completely relearning streaming.

If you want an old shitty video of me doing it, here, although I doubt you can see much because the quality is kinda trash.
Akanagi
I stream 220ish+ and don't use wrist. It's just about playing more high BPM maps with bursts and streams in them.
NixXSkate

Rayne wrote:

I stream 220ish+ and don't use wrist. It's just about playing more high BPM maps with bursts and streams in them.
Not everyone's hands are the same, my fingers were garbage at bursting speed and no different practice techniques helped that, any speed gain was so minimal in relation to the amount of training required. OP struggles with 170bpm deathstreams, there's a significant gain that needs to be had for OP to be doing 220bpm deathstreams, literally a 30% increase in speed. That's HUGE, with a difference that big I feel like there's a greater chance that the stream method may not be practical for OP, even if OP's lack of gains probably comes from practicing wrong.
ManuelOsuPlayer
He use his wrist to have more control about what he is doing and don't lose the rhythm, not to stream more bpm lmao. Also you can injure yourself if you don't know how to do it. Can also just be a thing what happens when you're used to singletap high bpm, you can't stop your hand to jump at all streaming.
I have reached burst 315 bpm following hitsounds on the way i do and that was my phisical limit where i find if i up more speed my muscle was going to get a big problem.
I can'r right now, i only reach 300 bpm SS 20 circles or some stuff like that, i have no stamina to keep it. If i could reach 315 it's imposible you can't reach 200 pretty easy.
When you build mucle memory a lot at low bpm streams it's imposible to move from there in a while.
For example if i play 150bpm long streams all day, it's going to be imposible to play even 190 bpm. You need to "overwrite?" the muscle memory playing at higher bpm without lose the coordination and right finger movement you get playing low bpm.
Practice a little at low bpm streams going for good acc and then go to a higher bpm and do the same over an over.
NixXSkate

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

He use his wrist to have more control about what he is doing and don't lose the rhythm, not to stream more bpm lmao.
He streams with wrist for everything; same with some people that are actually quite fast such as sayonara-bye and others that may surprise you, such as rrtyui. Some stream with all fingers, some with wrist, some use both at the same time. I don't doubt he can learn 200bpm with only finger movements, but you don't realize how different your hands are. It's hard to become faster if you can't really force yourself to move faster. I can care less if you're faster than me with your method, I've struggled improving with streams before you even started this game, and the most drastic improvement was by far from understanding how to use my wrist more than my fingers.
Also, I find it quite hard to believe that you're more likely to injure yourself streaming with wrist than fingers.