forum

Why you shouldn't turn off hit lighting

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Endaris
Hit lighting is one of these seemingly annoying things that every new player that watched that Cookiezi video tries to get rid of - if the best doesn't use it, it can't be any good after all. Or can it?

One thing that pretty much none who fiddled with skinning knows is that hit lightning is skinnable.
The according element is called lighting.png.
That means other than toggling that button you also have the option to simply replace the hit lighting for your specific skin just as you would with 300s.

Now to the more interesting content: How hit lighting can actually help you with playing.

Hit lighting appears when you hit a note. Usually that is not very interesting because we already get that feedback from hitsounds.
But what hitsounds don't tell us is where we hit the note.
Playing without mods this is information we already have but on Hidden this information is only accessible through hit lighting.
This becomes especially useful when aiming flowy patterns:
Example

As seen on this screenshot done with the skin of Maxe191 you have a very good idea where your cursor is in relation to the stream!

The advantages don't end here though.
As you can see on the screenshot given above, you can see hitlighting for the red notes 4 and 5 even though they weren't even hit yet!
What is this wizardry you should wonder?
Well, the screenshot was done in a Kiai section. During Kiai section the hitlighting is shown behind hitcircles. When playing with Hidden the hitcircle is faded out but the hit lighting is not!
This can be a massive help in aiming the Kiai section of any map as there's a lot less guessing involved.
Especially playing HDFL this is literally hax in Kiai.

Conclusion:
Don't turn off hit lighting in the options!
If you don't want to use it regularly, skin it out!
Consider making a special skin for HD gameplay where you skin the hit lighting in a way that benefits your gameplay.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Why you want to have a track from what you already hit when you can watch your cursor on top of each circle while playing. Also you should use your focus to follow the circles to the rhythm, so you should be watching next circles you're going to play not the one what you already did play.

It's only useless information at screen. Sounds are more fiable than use visual information to acc. That's why no one care about lighting at hidden.
Yurumo
What I hated about hitlighting is that it's very distracting.
I don't look at every note, nor do I always look at my cursor, and I've been doing fine.

You should focus on rhythm and listen to the hitsounds, not looking at visual ques.
abraker
Everybody is missing this important part

Endaris wrote:

Well, the screenshot was done in a Kiai section. During Kiai section the hitlighting is shown behind hitcircles. When playing with Hidden the hitcircle is faded out but the hit lighting is not!
Which means that players who play for EZ, hence can read clutter already, can use hit lighting to mitigate the effects of notes being invisible, especially when playing with HDEZ and HDFL

ofc to a the average DTHR scrub this is useless.
Fatal3ty
Hitlighting as rings is very distracting for me and i can't play this maps. I failed and i click this "rings" as Hitcircle. For me is a very irritated. :?

For Easy ok, for fast map are unplayable. Hitlighting doesn't help, this make a distracting for me. :)
Yatogam0
how to turn it off??
Zelzatter Zero

Yatogam0 wrote:

how to turn it off??
Go to Option -> Gameplay and turn off Hit Lighting (Don't exactly remember since I'm not opening osu atm)

Also you can just make a new thread instead. Why ask to turn it off on a thread that was discussing the opposite? Not to mention that this is necroposting too.
Hydreigon
another way is to manually turn it off in the visual settings when you play a map.
jaraid
i already did and it still wont turn off
Zelzatter Zero

jaraid wrote:

i already did and it still wont turn off
make a new thread instead and we'll talk about it later
MusicRitman
Hit lighting pretty good at HD. Even if notes are "hided" they are still trackable by half invisible circle. I'm using it with HD and can't understand why everyone says that it's just a distraction.
For me this "distraction" give me better coordination at where I am.