forum

Something about the Oxford Dictionary and Michael Rosen.

posted
Total Posts
show more
iMuffin
oh you're being serious with it, I'm not.
Firo Prochainezo
THIS SHIT IS SO KAWAII, YO
Lilac
I can hear the mispronunciations of the word now.

Frustration! ^_^
Topic Starter
roleykatsu

iMuffin wrote:

oh you're being serious with it, I'm not.
No not really, no LOL

This would be a horrible thing to use... actually come to think of it not really
NoHitter
The English language has lots of Japanese words in it already anyway :/
Lilac
...Eh, I personally don't think so...

...Comparing to Greek, Hebrew and stuff like that.
Wojjan
woooooooah i use this word and it's in the dictionary what????
hoihoisoi
Thats is the first stepping stone for lolis to rule this world.
Loginer

Vext wrote:

Well, every language is a hodge-podge of other languages
Looks like you made a really big typo in your original post. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.
Jarby

Lilac wrote:

Frustration! ^_^
Misprounciations are so ka-WA-ii!
Wojjan

Jarby wrote:

Misprounciations
:oops:
Quaraezha
Let's all travel to HAWAII DESU NEEEEEE
Galkan

NoHItter wrote:

The English language has lots of Japanese words in it already anyway :/
I'd say the opposite.
mathexpert
kawaii sushi
silmarilen

Lilac wrote:

Frustration! ^_^
if people use the one on the site yea, mispronounciations everywhere.
KRZY
kae-way
Vext_old
Cow-way!
jjrocks
I'm so kawaii that it hurts.
silmarilen
youre too kawaii for your shirt
Kitsunemimi

jjrocks wrote:

I'm so kawaii that it hurts.
Oh dear, I can only imagine how that would be like.... errrmm.. actually...

.........Mehhhh.... :(
Pokebis

Vext wrote:

Well, English is a hodge-podge of other languages, American English even more, guess it was just a matter of time before we stole words from Japan too.
Tsunami, Samurai, Ninja, Sushi, Anime, Cosplay, Hara Kiri, Honcho, Jujitsu, Futon, Kamikaze, Kimono, Soy, Seppuku, Sumo, Tofu to name a few.
I guarantee you there are more loan words from English to Japanese, though. Every living language is full of words from other languages, not just English.
Backfire
Sayonara!
Vext_old

Pokebis wrote:

Vext wrote:

Well, English is a hodge-podge of other languages, American English even more, guess it was just a matter of time before we stole words from Japan too.
Tsunami, Samurai, Ninja, Sushi, Anime, Cosplay, Hara Kiri, Honcho, Jujitsu, Futon, Kamikaze, Kimono, Soy, Seppuku, Sumo, Tofu to name a few.
I guarantee you there are more loan words from English to Japanese, though. Every living language is full of words from other languages, not just English.
Technically a lot of those are not taken since they are simply the proper name for it, kinda like how they use SPONGEEBOBBU! it's still spongebob because it's spongebob. Though it is common to have different words for things if their language had them already, a bear might be a konkaku in Thailand (I really doubt that is true) but if a new animal is discovered it would be a "Stanley" everywhere.
Fabi
SUCH A KAWAII MORNING
Backfire

Ever17 wrote:

SUCH A KAWAII MORNING
THAT
SONG
UGHHHH
Corin
I am British and what is this...
Wojjan
hoihoisoi
I'm so gonna use Kawaii in my next essay and see what reactions my teacher has. Yay for Oxford!
Topic Starter
roleykatsu

Pokebis wrote:

The thing is there is a difference between using loan words from Japanese to English because there is no other way to point out an object using a single word compared to using Japanese terms to replace already-existent English terms.

For example, "Tsunami" sounds significantly better than saying "Giant wave of water caused by an earthquake in the ocean that then rapes destroys everything within its path with water". Come to think of it, the former sounds more like the object while the latter sounds like an actual description of the object.

But there really isn't a purpose for saying "kawaii" when "cute" already exists in English. Which is the exact reason why I don't get the reason behind Oxford confirming "kawaii" in its dictionary.

TLDR: Weeaboos are making Oxford University add unnecessary terms to its dictionaries. Good job. Now go make desu become an actual term within the dictionary as well
Wojjan
Roley I don't think you know what shit you're talking about
Topic Starter
roleykatsu

Wojjan wrote:

Roley I don't think you know what shit you're talking about
Pretty much.
Wojjan
Maybe you should stop talking.
Topic Starter
roleykatsu
Naaaah, I'm good; thanks for considering that thought, though :>
Wojjan
off-topic, ladies and gents.
Jarby
Roley would make a great politician.
Shellghost
He would strongly support the implementation of Newspeak.
Topic Starter
roleykatsu
I have absolutely no idea what the hell is Newspeak, but Wikipedia's "See also" section for that article sounds, well, interesting.

mathexpert
kawaii things are kawaii
'nuff said.
Firo Prochainezo

Roley wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what the hell is Newspeak, but Wikipedia's "See also" section for that article sounds, well, interesting.

Because you clearly don't understand what 2+2=5 REALLY means, lol.
Shellghost

Roley wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what the hell is Newspeak.
That's kind of the point of a Wikipedia page...

To tell you "what the hell is Newspeak."

You should try reading it.
show more