forum

Does No Fail Help You Improve?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MochaIsLatte
Hello! and thank you for viewing this forum I have made this to ask a question that I have been thinking about for quite some time does no fail help you improve rather than no mods.
My thought for this was I was playing a song I could not beat it for the life of me because of one part in it so i turned on no fail and I completed it and gain several thousand ranks, but I don't see how it could hinder me or handicap me over the alternitive.
Please Post Your Thoughts On This Below
Sandy Hoey
My thoughts: GD is for non-osu! related topics. This belongs in G&R. Please read the forum guidelines before posting
Green Platinum
With accuracy as awful as yours it is no wonder why NF doesn't seem to change anything
ManuelOsuPlayer
NF helps. You doing well. But also play some 2* 3* working on acc.
Endaris
There is really nothing bad about it as long as you are smart about it.
If you are failing a map it can be a sign that it is still too difficult for you. NF can give you the opportunity of flailing and mashing on maps way out of your reach with no immediate feedback through a fail. If you spend the majority of your playtime doing that, it likely ends up in bad habits and poor control of both aim and tapping.
Looking at your profile I see that you have very poor accuracy because you are playing many maps that are still too difficult for you to perform well on. You're definitely at risk of developing bad habits if you start mindlessly slapping NF on everything.

In short:
As long as you can properly reflect whether you're capable of playing a map or not by yourself, NF does no harm.
zeplic

Endaris wrote:

If you are failing a map it can be a sign that it is still too difficult for you. NF can give you the opportunity of flailing and mashing on maps way out of your reach with no immediate feedback through a fail. If you spend the majority of your playtime doing that, it likely ends up in bad habits and poor control of both aim and tapping.
Looking at your profile I see that you have very poor accuracy because you are playing many maps that are still too difficult for you to perform well on. You're definitely at risk of developing bad habits if you start mindlessly slapping NF on everything.

In short:
As long as you can properly reflect whether you're capable of playing a map or not by yourself, NF does no harm.

So far you are two for two in actually impressing me with your answer despite already knowing it, i appreciate somebody who can word something well enough in a simple manner so that anybody will understand it instead of just confuse them further because of miscommunication.

That said, do you have any advice about how you can use NF to develop GOOD habits instead of just why it can make bad ones since you opened up about there are ways it can be utilized if youre smart with it? Personally I've always thought that, i just never knew HOW to be smart with it so i smartly avoided it.
E m i
fak avoidance i play everything and that includes dthr on 6 star maps and getting 45% acc
Nit0ri
Playing on NF can be helpful sometimes but you should mostly play map of of your level with good ACC and FC.
Dont try to go to fast but dont stay at the same point.
Akanagi
If you're the kind of player that starts panicking when his HP dips low, then yes, NF will help you improve and maybe prevent you from building bad habits.

There's no problem in general with putting NF on anyway, unless you care about PP / score. In the beginning you won't get any rankings anyway and the 10% pp reduce doesn't matter as much, so feel free to use it.
-Makishima S-
My personal experience and thoughts:

Progressing is about stabilizing and mastering your ability to read, aim, follow patterns on more and more difficult maps. To achieve this, first, you need to be aware of your mistakes and weaknesses. The moment you fail a map means, your actual skill is not even close to allow you pass the map, despite most likely mashing it, you miss lots of experience for it, you miss skill in certain range like reading, aim, streaming, alternating, etc. which you need to progress separately.

Now, how it looks with NoFail: It negate primary objective for me - knowing your skill limit. You just mash map from start to end and you don't even know at which exact point you WILL fail it. NF makes you a bit more lazy in term of giving your best and allowing you to literally play whack-a-mole because... you will not fail the map. You may say that you will see from your hp where you fail but what is the point of playing exact map further if in real situation of as I call it "proper passing", you will not pass the map at all.

Small steps - you fail one part, improve your skills, come back to this map again, you fail other part - again, till you pass the map properly, then you can actually even use this map as training ground to improve your skills.

At least for me, I feel HUGE difference in how I am playing with and without NF.
All might depend on player.
Endaris

zeplic wrote:

Endaris wrote:

In short:

So far you are two for two in actually impressing me with your answer despite already knowing it, i appreciate somebody who can word something well enough in a simple manner so that anybody will understand it instead of just confuse them further because of miscommunication.

That said, do you have any advice about how you can use NF to develop GOOD habits instead of just why it can make bad ones since you opened up about there are ways it can be utilized if youre smart with it? Personally I've always thought that, i just never knew HOW to be smart with it so i smartly avoided it.
Well, there is not too much to it.
If your highest FC is 3.3* you shouldn't play 6* with NF all the time (to be honest, maps way past your ability are only fun in multi anyway).

One example of using NF smartly is already given by the OP:
You have a map with an SR that is reasonable for you to perform on but you just get murdered by that one pattern.
While some patterns can get beaten by looking at them closely in the editor and understanding how to read and tap them others simply have to get played in order to get yourself used to playing them.
Add above average drain (be it through high HP or nifty sliderpatterns that rip your HP by half for missing certain notes) and you got an impassable map that you could benefit from if you played it with NF.

Thinking of things like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/315010 where I used to get smashed by one specific part of the wubwubpatterns.
Or https://osu.ppy.sh/b/87580 where only the damned deathstream kept me from passing.

The point is really that it is more difficult to learn some patterns through brute force.
Other maps are more consistent in their difficulty than the ones above but they still make you drain to 0 over the course of half a minute or so. As they aren't particularly spiky there's no point in not using NF.
An example would be https://osu.ppy.sh/b/119376 where it took me ages to properly tap the sliderpatterns correctly and I died from dropped sliderends all the time.
Or https://osu.ppy.sh/b/161776 which is also a case of severe sliderend dropping. You can't learn how to aim such maps without playing them because they require more than the raw aim you might already have (I have yet to FC that one and I tried).
Let's not talk about Sewing Machine here.

Personally I also use it often when playing maps that I know I can perform well on but there is still a decent chance that I am going to fail anyway if I'm letting my guard down for 2 seconds or so (say Scarlet Rose, Yoiyami Hanabi, Maware, all maps I have A ranks on)

Personally I used NF a lot (!) when I started playing - pretty much for every sightread I did. On maps that I was completely capable of playing for the most part but where I was aware that if there was one weird spot or more patterns untracked by star rating I might just fail which I figured to be no fun.
kai99
tbh i used to not like NF because i used to think if you can't pass the map, it means you're yet not qualified to play that map.
but nowadays i play with NF on maps i know that i won't pass, and honestly, it's not that bad as long as you don't get really bad accuracy (under 70) because that does mean you're yet not qualified to play that map.

it's really satisfying seeing progress and passing that map without NF one day
chainpullz
I literally play worse with NF on vs without so its kind of a pointless mod in my mind. If I can't beat a map without NF then it's not even worth playing that map for me.
Barusamikosu
Playing maps that target your weak spots will help you improve. With that in mind, NF could be situationally useful if for example you have a map where you fail the 40 note 234 BPM stream or the ~6 star triangle jump spam but the rest of the map is useful to your improvement and you just want to play it without stress, then go ahead and slap on NF.