forum

[Archived] can having many maps cause osu to freeze during gameplay?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jalatiphra
Hi there.
Referring to my question in the headline:

I have 19k maps or something :) and i dont have any fps issues or whatever. only thing that happens is: osu randomly stops (freezes) for about 250-500 miliseconds during gameplay and then keeps on going ( of course not without letting me miss a note). This happens by a 50% chance on any map with increased chance of happening the nearer you get to the end of the beatmap.
In some cases its happens almost at the same note .. at least the same note combo .. each time i play the map.

I dont encounter this in other games.

i was told that this might be due to the amout of beatmaps i have and if i reduce it, i wont encounter that behaviour anymore.

Is there anything to it?
should i reduce my song foldeR?
i dont want to :) -> any other suggestions?
Winshley
I don't think having a lot of beatmaps may cause freezes during gameplay, other than dropping your fps when you're on the song selection list. I personally have 18,048 beatmaps right now, and I don't encounter such problem.

Ensure that your background program isn't hogging up your CPU usage. You might wanna close unnecessary programs.
Topic Starter
Jalatiphra
i may try to kill all tasks in the tasks manager to indentify which background programm is causing this...
seems like a whole fuckload of work^^
Mythras
It could be the map being a piece of shit, especially if it's the same spot. There's a few maps i've found that have built in lag. I dunno what else to call it. But yeah it lasts like .25 of a second and totally fucks you up.

Also, the game does randomly lag for reasons related to bancho and announcements. I even lag sometimes when someone in chat does some /me is listening to blah blah blah. Pretty annoying.
Rii_old_1
I also have 19k maps, but I also lag with only 1 map, so the amount of maps doesn't matter.

also you could close down crap programs to get a better feeling: open msconfig and disable all the crap startup programs.
Disable all, then select what you need, do not touch windows functions without experience
Intermezzo
Do you have osu! stored on a usb hard drive or pen? If so please try move osu (with some of it songs) to one of your main drives and see if this resolves it. If osu! is stored on your main disk try to defragment it.
Topic Starter
Jalatiphra
osu is on one of my harddrives. - since lag occours during gameplay, when all resources are loaded, this shouldnt be a hdd access problem.

that bancho thingy sounds reasonalbe. ill try playing offline and see if it happens
peppy
Are you running on a multi-core system? Generally there may be lag on single core PCs of lower specs if garbage collection kicks in during gameplay.