forum

[added] Show beatmap difficulty settings in play mode song select

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +61
Topic Starter
Srbija_old
I think it would be easy to implement, and it would really help me (other way is to go to song's folder and check each difficulty which is not fast).
It could be placed above scoreboard, near infos on how many hitcircles, slider and spinners (really, that data is totally useless) are in song.
Sakura
Or you could try checking tbe beatmap listing/info page.
Topic Starter
Srbija_old
I can't see AR there, and sometimes I have no internet (it can also be annoying to check for each beatmap difficulty online).
h3k1ru
from since AR and OD was split, info page wasnt fixed, im agreed with TS, i ll like to see AR there
Topic Starter
Srbija_old
Yea, but my point is that it is much easier to see it in beatmap listing page. Also, another idea is to make it possible to filter songs (beatmaps) by its AR (or maybe other difficulty options). I often find myself willing to practice songs on particular AR, and I find it frustrating to search for them or edit .osu files by changing AR there.
Wishy
Hernan
I support
Shiirn
i actually agree. this makes more since than sliders and circles, but i'd like to know those too somehow. (i like seeing my slider:circle ratio heheheheauheaueh)
Topic Starter
Srbija_old

Shiirn wrote:

(i like seeing my slider:circle ratio heheheheauheaueh)
Since everyone wants to see different things, then maybe make something in options to toggle on/off different information which is shown in beatmap page? That way everyone will be happy :D
Rii_old_1
or toggle for that info ingame, limited selection if needed
hoihoisoi
Yup, this function sounds good. I support this.
bomber34
You also could go to the editor and check the diff. there even though this is tedious and annoying^^
This could help some beginners ^^
The point with this information is on the Beatmaps info page is not bad but sometimes someone as no internet (as mentioned before)
Also it would help with maps you downloaded a long time ago.

I don't need that system really but i think it would help others who are lazy or new.
Dangaard
Additionally to the already exisiting difficulty specifications that directly affect gameplay, it would be nice to get information about the specifications resulting from the gameplay, such as:
  1. stream
  2. jump
  3. chaos (hello stepmania)
  4. sliding
Of course such attributes would need to be set by hand following some guidelines and whatnot. Also there would be a big problem of getting this work for old maps that don't include these attributes. So it's combined with quite some work, I suppose.

This would be a really great addition, that could help people to find and filter maps suiting their skills and preferred gameplay style. Best combined with a graphical presentation.
YodaSnipe
this makes perfect sense.
support
Sakura

Dangaard wrote:

Idea
This sounds nice, i support that.
Gyzarus
This sounds great.
Actually I have the same idea for several weeks before I saw this thread.
Since ar and od are now two seperated attributes, the online data seems to be a little out-of-date.

However, total notes and sliders stats are not that completely useless.
People can judge a map whether it's more of streams or jumping or something else(fast spinner map, etc.) by a simple glimpse at these stats.

My original idea is to merge these all-above in a same page,
so we can get an overall view of a certain map easily
bwross
I use total notes all the time. Right from the start I realized that there were issues with the star difficulty levels given and jumped to using objects per second instead, because that's proven to be the best judge of whether my old hands feel up to a map (but not a perfect one... part of the issue is that what's listed isn't the drain time and for some maps the difference is substantial). Ratio of circles to sliders has also been useful... heavy slider maps tend to tire my hands out a bit faster. Having the other stats available right there would help even more... it would be extra useful for choosing whether I want to add HR and/or DT to a map (OPS is okay for this, but knowing the AR and DR would be better). I definitely support this.
ziin

Dangaard wrote:

Additionally to the already exisiting difficulty specifications that directly affect gameplay, it would be nice to get information about the specifications resulting from the gameplay, such as:
  1. stream
  2. jump
  3. chaos (hello stepmania)
  4. sliding
Of course such attributes would need to be set by hand following some guidelines and whatnot. Also there would be a big problem of getting this work for old maps that don't include these attributes. So it's combined with quite some work, I suppose.

This would be a really great addition, that could help people to find and filter maps suiting their skills and preferred gameplay style. Best combined with a graphical presentation.
stream: average time distance between notes, excluding long breaks.
jump (air): average linear distance between notes adjusted for time, preferably on an inverse exponential scale so that compressed streams do not decrease the jump rating
chaos: complexity of rhythms. the difficulty rating puts this in high regard, because hards are often higher star rating than insanes.
slide (freeze): circle:slider ratio, or something like that. osu is hold heavy, SM is not. This might make easy difficulties seem very high, and obviously slider only would be max. Not necessarily a difficulty setting but a gauge of what the map is like.

Putting this data on an S curve (from 0 to 100) would improve the accuracy of the rating in the middle, but extreme maps and easy map would still look all the same.

Manually calculating the data would be a waste of time. to start though I would take a few points and gauge the difficulty (ie really hard maps like rainbow tylenol or astrosexy assigned a certain percentile so everything high is based off of them).
zertap
supporting, I am always frustrated if i need to go check the beatmap page for info, cuz supporter and all maps downloaded anyways :D
woc2006
wait till osz2, I'll add it.
zertap

woc2006 wrote:

wait till osz2, I'll add it.
I love you woc!
seriously, when I first saw the sexy things in changelog by you, i was like: a new god has born!
theowest
added in the editor song list

o:

it's not really added where most people would like it to be added though.
TheVileOne
If this is added I think we can kill the star perceptual idea as well. This takes up a lot less space.
Wishy
Style/data position can be discussed later, having this to begin with is great.
Oinari-sama
Yeah good start, though I wish this could be displayed in song selection screen as well. Will come in handy in multi (eg when you're unsure if the AR/CS will be too hard for beginners after HR a 4-Star song).

The display could use more work but definitely a good start yeah...

theowest

Oinari-sama wrote:

The display could use more work but definitely a good start yeah...
t/121320
JhowM
It could display SV for Taiko and its lowest/highest multipliers instead of AR and CS (they do nothing in taiko), maybe mania too(?)
theowest
I feel like putting this back in feature requests, it wasn't really added in the way it should have been imo. Why is it only in the editor song list?
Maiz94

theowest wrote:

I feel like putting this back in feature requests, it wasn't really added in the way it should have been imo. Why is it only in the editor song list?
Now that you mentioned it. Go request it then.
VoidnOwO

theowest wrote:

I feel like putting this back in feature requests, it wasn't really added in the way it should have been imo.
Please do.
MillhioreF
I agree with theo - most people seem unhappy with edit-only, so I've modified the topic title slightly and revived the request.
theowest

MillhioreF wrote:

I agree with theo - most people seem unhappy with edit-only, so I've modified the topic title slightly and revived the request.
thank you!
Wishy
Bumping.
chox_old
bump because this idea is good.
Sushimuffin
Gonna bump this and quote theowest:

theowest wrote:

It would be a lot more useful if this was in the play song list too.
It's nice having this in the editor song list, but not really as usable as it could be, due to the star rating and/or offset. t/121320

As an addition, it would also be nice if the settings would change upon selecting mods(HR/DT), like the BPM does with DT/NC/HT.

I'm positive that a lot of player would appreciate this feature, and it would save time, because we wouldn't have to go to the editor song list to look at the map settings.
plaatinum
Bump. I really want to see this feature.
Deimos
Bump + Support. At once.
TicClick
please add it to save us from doing unnecessary actions like going back, then into edit mode, then back again, then into play mode. this sucks
TheVileOne
Added with more difficulty aspects planned with the new difficulty calculator.