forum

Am I improving too slow? Or is it alright?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ReadUmineko
Recently I've been thinking about how much I've improved in these past few months.

Got into Osu arround 5 months ago.

Play Time: 138 hours
Play Count: 10,381
Hit Accuracy: 98.2%

Current top PP play: ensou ft. GUMI - COMA [Insane] (99.61%) (119pp)

I've started to get a bit more into stream maps and I've been having a hard time, also struggle a lot with 2 note bursts, spaced streams and very small sliders.

Also started to play 5 star maps mainly now, though I still haven't been able to FC one, which I find to be quite a shame. Sometimes I play a 5 star map which I believe I should FC easily, but I choke, quite often actually.

Examples of maps I struggle with:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/237768 (United)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/419291 (Timberwolf) - I can't play the map once the 2 note bursts start...

Is my progress normal? Or am I just no good in this game? :?

Also, If I keep playing this much, just how long would it take me to be able to play those high star stream maps? (aka Freedom dive, Image material, Everything will freeze...)

I would also like to ask for tips on how to improve my consistency and streaming, because I think I choke way too often, and would also like to get better at streams.

Thanks! :)

PS: Forgot to mention, Switched to a Tablet and mechanical keyboard arround a month ago. Used to play with a generic rubberdome keyboard and a logitech G400S mouse.
KupcaH

Jogui3k wrote:

I've started to get a bit more into stream maps and I've been having a hard time, also struggle a lot with 2 note bursts, spaced streams and very small sliders.
Just practice. Also, there shouldn't be spaced streams on your level yet. Can you link maps that you've played with spaced streams?

Jogui3k wrote:

Also started to play 5 star maps mainly now, though I still haven't been able to FC one, which I find to be quite a shame. Sometimes I play a 5 star map which I believe I should FC easily, but I choke, quite often actually.
Happens to everyone. Play more.

Jogui3k wrote:

Examples of maps I struggle with:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/237768 (United)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/419291 (Timberwolf) - I can't play the map once the 2 note bursts start...
Probably because these two are still above your skill?

Jogui3k wrote:

Is my progress normal? Or am I just no good in this game? :?
I've seen a lot of players who improved way faster. But don't worry much about that, everyone is improving at their own pace!

Jogui3k wrote:

Also, If I keep playing this much, just how long would it take me to be able to play those high star stream maps? (aka Freedom dive, Image material, Everything will freeze...)
Maybe ten years idk

I don't understand what you expected to hear when you wrote this question.

Jogui3k wrote:

I would also like to ask for tips on how to improve my consistency and streaming, because I think I choke way too often, and would also like to get better at streams.
Retry less, play longer maps more, try focusing on each circle individually.
As for streams, I just played stream maps from time to time, and got pretty good at it.
Topic Starter
ReadUmineko
"Maybe ten years idk"

Sad :(

"I don't understand what you expected to hear when you wrote this question."

Not so sure either, but maybe the amount of time it took some players to be able to pass these maps?

"Retry less, play longer maps more, try focusing on each circle individually.
As for streams, I just played stream maps from time to time, and got pretty good at it"

Then I really need to get some new maps, because I do retry quite a lot...

"Also, there shouldn't be spaced streams on your level yet. Can you link maps that you've played with spaced streams?"

Not really maps on my level, been trying quite a few high star maps recently, and althouh I'm able to keep the speed up, I start to miss quite a lot on spaced streams...

Thanks!
KupcaH

Jogui3k wrote:

"

Not so sure either, but maybe the amount of time it took some players to be able to pass these maps?
Oh, I thought you were talking about doing really good on them and not passing.
Welp, there are a lot of people who passed Image Material in two years of playing. No idea about Freedom Dive and Time Freeze, especially Time Freeze..

Jogui3k wrote:

"
Not really maps on my level, been trying quite a few high star maps recently, and althouh I'm able to keep the speed up, I start to miss quite a lot on spaced streams...
Well, spaced streams are probably like the most hardest "pattern" to "learn" imo. So it's gonna take a while to get good at them.
Thirty30
You're doing quite well, but regardless, you don't need to worry about how fast you're improving. Just make

As to your questions, you should practice more maps containing the things you struggle at (spaced streams will take a good while). Play a lot of different maps and get consistent at fcing different maps rather than muscle memory on the same maps (and play to the end of the map too). Then you will probably see more 5* fcs

Even doing all that you'll probably at least need a year before you pass those maps like image material, and then over another year at least if you're looking to fc.

Hope I helped, even if it was only a little!
repr1se
see my faq in signature about consistency and improvement

Keep going at your own pace, there's no "improving too slow"
And dont push too hard or you'll develop bad habits
Topic Starter
ReadUmineko

repr1se wrote:

see my faq in signature about consistency and improvement

Keep going at your own pace, there's no "improving too slow"
And dont push too hard or you'll develop bad habits
Thanks, was of great help.
Topic Starter
ReadUmineko

Thirty30 wrote:

You're doing quite well, but regardless, you don't need to worry about how fast you're improving. Just make

As to your questions, you should practice more maps containing the things you struggle at (spaced streams will take a good while). Play a lot of different maps and get consistent at fcing different maps rather than muscle memory on the same maps (and play to the end of the map too). Then you will probably see more 5* fcs

Even doing all that you'll probably at least need a year before you pass those maps like image material, and then over another year at least if you're looking to fc.

Hope I helped, even if it was only a little!
Every little bits count! Thanks for the help and your time. :)
Thirty30
Meant to say 'make sure you have fun'

but looks like forum machine broke
pandaBee
You're the next upcoming osu star. The top 10 are shaking in their boots.
Topic Starter
ReadUmineko
Hahah

pandaBee wrote:

You're the next upcoming osu star. The top 10 are shaking in their boots.
RIP Cookiezi Hahahah 8-)
Houtarou Oreki
I can confirm, that playing different maps with things you're not the best at is a good way to improve. Also, don't try-hard the same maps over and over again. One retry per map per 20 minutes, unless you got some weird miss at the beginning, or you're 90% sure you can FC it next try.

I would also recommend to try getting comfortable at setting full combos at about the level just below your top ranks (BUT to be honest I'm not sure if this works at your level, difficulty is strange at ~4* if I remember correctly. For you that level would be at about 90-110pp?). What I mean by that, is to get consistency, because I think it's a good skill to have.

Don't focus too much on pp. I'm not saying "don't", it's just that it should be at most 75% the reason you play, not 100%. Remember to have fun, as the guy some posts above meant to say. Also, playing for pp =/= playing for improvement. There are skills that don't directly reward in pp.

Also try FCing not only short maps. About 3-4 minutes should do, because your tops are ~1:30 on average if I remember the maps correctly. This also should help your consistency. This is the same idea as in the first paragraph, playing longer maps if your tops are only short maps, is a way to improve keeping up longer combos.

For the while, playing without mods is fine. I would NOT recommend playing mostly DT, every friend of mine that started playing too much Double Time at the 100-150pp level ended up having bad accuracy and bad consistency in the long run, thus hitting a wall. I'm surprised at your accuracy, keep it up. High accuracy means you'll get more for basically the same maps with the same combo, compared to worse-acc-players. It's also a really nice skill to have in the long run.

In reply to your thinking you can FC 5* maps easily, but can't FC them after all. You linked United as an example. Which is a surprise to me, because I, having 300pp top play, still can't get myself to Full Combo it, even though I've been close a few times. It's a bit above your level IMO. Try consistently getting your level up by FCing harder and harder beatmaps, but don't rush it. Keep high accuracy, and don't retry too much - as I mentioned before.

Playing Freedom Dive, Everything Will Freeze shouldn't be your goals for now IMO, slow down. It will take at minimum a year, but most probably will take longer, if you want to have a good balanced skill-set.

So, to improve consistency, try to get comfortable getting FCs at a level just below your top ranks and by playing longer maps. And again - have fun.

If there's something you can't understand in my post, PM me. Hope I helped somehow.
Topic Starter
ReadUmineko

Houtarou Oreki wrote:

I can confirm, that playing different maps with things you're not the best at is a good way to improve. Also, don't try-hard the same maps over and over again. One retry per map per 20 minutes, unless you got some weird miss at the beginning, or you're 90% sure you can FC it next try.

I would also recommend to try getting comfortable at setting full combos at about the level just below your top ranks (BUT to be honest I'm not sure if this works at your level, difficulty is strange at ~4* if I remember correctly. For you that level would be at about 90-110pp?). What I mean by that, is to get consistency, because I think it's a good skill to have.

Don't focus too much on pp. I'm not saying "don't", it's just that it should be at most 75% the reason you play, not 100%. Remember to have fun, as the guy some posts above meant to say. Also, playing for pp =/= playing for improvement. There are skills that don't directly reward in pp.

Also try FCing not only short maps. About 3-4 minutes should do, because your tops are ~1:30 on average if I remember the maps correctly. This also should help your consistency. This is the same idea as in the first paragraph, playing longer maps if your tops are only short maps, is a way to improve keeping up longer combos.

For the while, playing without mods is fine. I would NOT recommend playing mostly DT, every friend of mine that started playing too much Double Time at the 100-150pp level ended up having bad accuracy and bad consistency in the long run, thus hitting a wall. I'm surprised at your accuracy, keep it up. High accuracy means you'll get more for basically the same maps with the same combo, compared to worse-acc-players. It's also a really nice skill to have in the long run.

In reply to your thinking you can FC 5* maps easily, but can't FC them after all. You linked United as an example. Which is a surprise to me, because I, having 300pp top play, still can't get myself to Full Combo it, even though I've been close a few times. It's a bit above your level IMO. Try consistently getting your level up by FCing harder and harder beatmaps, but don't rush it. Keep high accuracy, and don't retry too much - as I mentioned before.

Playing Freedom Dive, Everything Will Freeze shouldn't be your goals for now IMO, slow down. It will take at minimum a year, but most probably will take longer, if you want to have a good balanced skill-set.

So, to improve consistency, try to get comfortable getting FCs at a level just below your top ranks and by playing longer maps. And again - have fun.

If there's something you can't understand in my post, PM me. Hope I helped somehow.
Thanks a lot for the post!

I only linked united as an example of map I have a hard time with, not one I think I should be able to FC.

I mean other 5 star maps.
Kondou-Shinichi
tl;dr: doing ok