forum

Stop the internet control bill.

posted
Total Posts
show more
Firo Prochainezo
I thought people stopped caring about these petitions.
Azure_Kite
Signed it, but I think it is a little too late now lol.
Haseo_old
I signed because I hate the government.
awp
I remember hearing/reading somewhere that no petition ever amounts to more than fuck-all.
Natteke
mathexpert
this is absolute bullshit, just like the U.S. government in general. What happened to the first amendment? Politicians fuck with it every chance they get it's practically non existent. Occupy movements are being shut down for absurd reasons, and now the internet, what used to be a place where people could voice their options freely is now being censored. The government is more powerful than the people, why is the 99% suffering whereas the 1% is chilling in their multimillion mansions practicably mocking and laughing at THE PEOPLE? In addition, I'm assuming this bill only affects websites in the US (which discounts the pirate bay, etc)?

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:
home of the powerless and opressed

so fucking proud to be an American right now.
Sander-Don

mathexpert9981 wrote:

this is absolute bullshit, just like the U.S. government in general. What happened to the first amendment? Politicians fuck with it every chance they get it's practically non existent. Occupy movements are being shut down for absurd reasons, and now the internet, what used to be a place where people could voice their options freely is now being censored. The government is more powerful than the people, why is the 99% suffering whereas the 1% is chilling in their multimillion mansions practicably mocking and laughing at THE PEOPLE? In addition, I'm assuming this bill only affects websites in the US (which discounts the pirate bay, etc)?

home of the powerless and opressed

I love you
Drakari_old

mathexpert9981 wrote:

home of the spoiled brats who think they're oppressed

Calling the people of the United States powerless and oppressed is like saying alcohol is poison: maybe a little, but not really.

I'll probably never come back to this thread and definitely won't say anything if you decide to press the point, but I refuse to let anybody call my country "THE home of the oppressed" while such places as North Korea remain as they are. Not debating that the bill is bullshit and things suck, but it could be so much worse.

Anyways, more on topic, if the bill is what I heard it is (admittedly I have no evidence or anything) It's worse than affecting only US websites. If it passes, Internet providers will be legally required to track EVERYTHING you do and report you to the government if you visit whatever sites the government dislikes. Then? You get arrested and BANNED FROM THE INTERNET FOREVER. Literally.
mathexpert
I thought it was obvious, but to clarify I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole there; I do not think that we are 100% powerless, but I do think that we are oppressed to some extent by the government. Mind you, not as bad as North Korea, but I am a liberal that supports legalization of drugs, abortion, as well as gay marriage throughout the nation = oppressed to some extent

Land of the free? To some extent, if you were comparing us to North Korea, but wouldn't you much rather compare us to a superior country instead?
Home of the brave? Discounting those who fight for their beliefs and those who help others (firefighters, etc.) the large majority don't do anything except watch fox news report bullshit.They don't do anything about it.

Also, I did not mean that the United States as a country is powerless (although other countries are catching up fast); just the middle and lower class.
Shohei Ohtani
THE INTERNET IS GOING TO BE CENSORED, MY COUNTRY IS SO OPPRESSED. [/FirstWorldProblems]

But what I like is that most people will go "Wow, petitions won't work, jackass", but once the internet is involved, this shipt gets serious.

But I'm neutral on the issue, due to ignorance of the law. Based on what I've read, I kinda support it, but I won't form a strong-set opinion at the moment .-.
Rantai
It's only a matter of time in Australia then...
mathexpert

CDFA wrote:

THE INTERNET IS GOING TO BE CENSORED, MY COUNTRY IS SO OPPRESSED. [/FirstWorldProblems]
haha while true, the internet being censored (more than it was) would have changed the Arab Spring dramatically.

I honestly doubt this bill will pass because it is absurd, but with all the idiots out there who knows. Internet censorship is only but one small reason why I am starting to question this country as a whole, many more prominent reasons exist besides this.
awp
The Internet's already censored to hell and back in China, isn't it?
Shiirn

Loginer wrote:

I seriously doubt this is going to lead to any major uproar. The average first world citizen does not take the Internet seriously.
sorry, what?
Faust
This Internet control thing isn't even the worst thing to come, yet.
Loginer

Shiirn wrote:

Loginer wrote:

I seriously doubt this is going to lead to any major uproar. The average first world citizen does not take the Internet seriously.
sorry, what?

CDFA wrote:

Shiirn
quoting cdfa is not a very good way to support your argument, just saying
mathexpert

Loginer wrote:

The average first world citizen does not take the Internet seriously.
lol this ain't the 90s anymore suunei' boy.
Shohei Ohtani
I'm guessing what Loginer is saying is that the average first class citizen doesn't really use the internet that much to where the internet censorship bill will do stuff. The average first world citizen uses the internet mostly for like, Facebook and Youtube and stuff. To the average first world citizen, the internet is that place where they can talk to their friends and see Glynnis post those funny lolcats and stuff.

But as I said, I'm still ignorant of the bill, so I could be totally ass-backwards or something.
mathexpert

CDFA wrote:

I'm guessing what Loginer is saying is that the average first class citizen doesn't really use the internet that much to where the internet censorship bill will do stuff. The average first world citizen uses the internet mostly for like, Facebook and Youtube and stuff. To the average first world citizen, the internet is that place where they can talk to their friends and see Glynnis post those funny lolcats and stuff.
I dunno where you got that information, that internet is only for lolcats and whatnot, albeit memes are part of the culture. Any evidence or just a broad generalization? Maybe years ago that was true, but with every generation more tech-savy and internet adept people exist. Just because the average "grandma" doesn't know how to "surf the wave" doesn't mean the average college student also doesn't. Also, even if that was true, the "common folk" (lol I assume that you think you're special by using the word "average") will be affected; pictures on facebook, youtube videos, etc can be censored...

Loginer wrote:

I seriously doubt this is going to lead to any major uproar.
...But it already did. It caused a lot of outrage from normal people, various technology companies (Google, Facebook, Mozilla and eBay), the Electric Frontier Foundation and various human right groups. In addition to blogs and forums like we have here. This is only the proposal, so if it does get passed you can bet your ass that it will much worse.
Whether you agree with it or not, the UN recently declared the internet as a human right, it will definitly have a impact. (protests wave no. 2 anyone?)
Loginer

mathexpert9981 wrote:

wall-of-text
Please link me to an article regarding any public demonstration or rally against SOPA. Preferably not preceded by more than three insults.
mathexpert

Loginer wrote:

Please link me to an article regarding any public demonstration or rally against SOPA.
Do you not think that that is completely unreasonable and improbable? This bill was recently proposed for christ's sake. lol public demonstrations aren't the only form of "uproar" nowadays, believe it or not;

mathexpert9981 wrote:

It caused a lot of outrage from normal people, various technology companies (Google, Facebook, Mozilla and eBay), the Electric Frontier Foundation and various human right groups. In addition to blogs and forums like we have here. This is only the proposal, so if it does get passed you can bet your ass that it will much worse.
^enough to be considered a uproar? I imagine some news organizations, etc have picked up on this as well.

Also: lol gotta love the impenetrable tl;dr principle
FreakyTy
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#! ... t/SWBYXX55

Lols too late I know, but just throwing this out there...
mathexpert
btw guys this may affect osu! players in the US, just sayin for reference.