forum

Is it hard to adjust to not bottoming out on Cherry MX Reds?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Stormdude127
I'm considering getting a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches soon, and I'm just wondering if it's hard to get used to not bottoming out. What I mean is that I currently play on a laptop keyboard, so I am used to always bottoming out when I press a key, as I have to for it to register. Is it going to be hard to adjust to not bottoming out if I get a mechanical keyboard? I've heard that it is a very bad idea to bottom out on reds, but I feel like I will do it on accident. I'm afraid that will make my accuracy drop significantly. I would appreciate any perspectives from people who have switched from laptop to red switches.
repr1se
i use cherry mx reds and i bottom out, there's really no problem with it especially since actuation distance between reds and laptop is so close. i'm not sure why you would want to not bottom out, i've tried it and it really doesn't feel good

if you don't want to press the key all the way down you could get a set of o-rings, though most packs give you way more than what you need
Topic Starter
Stormdude127
Huh, I guess I had a weird misconception that most people using reds didn't bottom out. Guess I was wrong and most people do bottom out. Thanks for the advice anyway. If I do get a mechanical keyboard I'll bottom out except maybe on very fast streams where it's just natural not to.
Shoy
There's nothing wrong about bottoming out, if you're fine by doing this, keep do it.
Not a lot to worry about in conclusion, just enjoy your red switches, it will change a lot compare to your chiclet.

I'm playing both on my chiclet keyboard (laptop's one... when Mrs is sleeping, the mechanical makes too much noise for her =D) and my mechanical (with Cherry MX Red), I'm bottoming out and I feel better by doing this than if I don't, kinda like repr1se said.
I Give Up
It really doesn't matter whether you bottom out or not. Personally I learnt how to tapped so lightly I didn't bottom out at fast bpm. But there are players that smash their keys really hard and still have tons of stamina. It really doesn't matter you can get good either way :)
Genjuro
You won't have any issues with that, just please, don't buy corsair.
Akanagi
Most people bottom out, nothing wrong with it.