forum

Doubletime

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mythras
About me: I've been playing this game almost 2 years, mostly casually. I'm skilled enough to SS reasonably hard [Hard] maps and usually rank if I try hard enough. Can do some insane with tons of attempts and practice. I use the mouse mostly and for streams I use the keyboard.

What I'd like to know, as I really don't understand it: There seems to be certain maps on doubletime that are just too fast to single click no matter how many times I retry and practice. Now this might just be me needing more practice. However I can't help but wonder, are the mouse/kb people that are doing DT on these maps (assuming any of them are using mouse/KB) just using nothing but the keyboard and treating parts that weren't streams AS IF they are streams on DT?? But I honestly have no idea, Id like to be practicing for the optimal way to S these maps on double time. Can anyone offer any information on this?

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/82799&m=0 (Hard) = example of map I'd like to be able to S on DT, but would like advice on how to approach it. Should I just switch to the keyboard completely? Or is it possible w/the mouse? Thanks ;)
Wishy
Play alternating z/x or just get fast at single tapping.
Mesita

Wishy22 wrote:

^
always single tap. z/x for streams only.
xsrsbsns
I think most people would agree with me if I said switching to keyboard would make it easier..

Unkind wrote:

treating parts that weren't streams AS IF they are streams
aka alternating z/x, which isn't easy to master
Topic Starter
Mythras
I don't think it's possible for me to be accurate enough w/just single clicking for hard maps on DT no matter what, so I think i'll seriously try to switch completely to the keyboard (guessing this will take ~5000ish plays ><)

I appreciate all your replies, thank you :)
winber1
i'm not that great and all, but what works for me is to just not kinda panic like "o sht must click as fast as i can o shtshthsthshths." I don't really panic like that (actually i never really panic, but you get the point), but i sometimes tense up without realizing it. I stream much faster if i stay calm and just light tap my keys. this also includes single tapping as well.

that's just me tho.

i end up alternating z/x tho when i encounter BPM250+ ish, but not all that great at it imo. it kinda depends on the circumstances tho, cuz i single tap this http://osu.ppy.sh/s/27712
Kodoshi

Mesita wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

^
why?
Lesjuh
Alternate tap/kb. For the die-hards (h)
Mesita

Lesjuh wrote:

Alternate tap/kb. For the die-hards (h)
sounds complicated.

Kodoshi wrote:

Mesita wrote:

^
why?
works perfect for me =).
Niva
That map is possible to single-tap only...

I single-tap every triples in any BPM and streams below ~140-150 BPM, d/f for long streams in high BPM.
Once you're used to it, this playing style would be very fun (especially on DoubleTime) >_<
Topic Starter
Mythras

Niva wrote:

I single-tap every triples in any BPM and streams below ~140-150 BPM, d/f for long streams in high BPM.
Once you're used to it, this playing style would be very fun (especially on DoubleTime) >_<
After this (you're like one of my favorite players in the game) I dunno what to do ><.

Single tapping definitely is more fun than using the keyboard for everything, so this appeals to me greatly.

Now sign my nipple plz. :)

edit: seems like KB only is muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch easier for me at least lol, as much as id like to just use the mouse for most of this stuff. Managing 80% on this map with DT now (started 60% today) with kb, and like 65% w/mouse ><. KB also like 100x more relaxing ><. I don't think S-ing this on DT is that unrealistic anymore, with a couple days of practice, just a matter of finger coordination.
Waryas
My definition of single tap is using one finger only on keyboard instead of 2fingers
gat1toneku

Niva wrote:

you use tablet taps though which i only use for insanely large jumps, but is faster than single tapping keyboard
shaNk_old
You can tap up to about 300 bpm if u train ur finger strenght
Neruell
Just 1 word : Practice.
Monsterpiece
Single Tap and z/x for streams only
nOtashy
Practice Makes Perfect ㅇㅂㅇ.
palion
i don't get why everyone insists on single tapping or that alternating is difficult :(
when i went from mouse only to mouse+kb i naturally started alternating and i find it much better than single tapping
thelewa
depends on the person playing, that's why saying one style is better than the other is stupid
Elysion
Practice Makes Perfect ㅇㅂㅇ。
Zelmarked

ragelewa wrote:

depends on the person playing, that's why saying one style is better than the other is stupid
Z/X is far superior to clicking. It's less of a distraction to your brain using 2 hands as each side of your body is controlled using the opposite hemispheres of your brain. Using a single side is somewhat like assigning 2 processes to one core and not utilizing the other core. Also clicking is a distraction to moving as it's increased pressure towards the pad.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the only reason you are saying m or m vs m+kb is a personal choice and not an advantage is to legitimize your argument of tablet vs m+ kb is a personal choice and not an advantage. Which of course I disagree and want to point that out. But would rather not derail this thread. Hence the hidden.
kriers

Zelmarked wrote:

ragelewa wrote:

Z/X is far superior to clicking. It's less of a distraction to your brain using 2 hands as each side of your body is controlled using the opposite hemispheres of your brain. Using a single side is somewhat like assigning 2 processes to one core and not utilizing the other core. Also clicking is a distraction to moving as it's increased pressure towards the pad.
Don't go science on things you know nothing about. The ONLY disadvantage with mouse only is that I can't use my wrist to click faster.

Zelmarked wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the only reason you are saying m or m vs m+kb is a personal choice and not an advantage is to legitimize your argument of tablet vs m+ kb is a personal choice and not an advantage. Which of course I disagree and want to point that out. But would rather not derail this thread. Hence the hidden.
Well it is. Tablet is superior at ridiculously hard jumps, but not needed in any streamy maps. Also hidden text? wtf.
Zelmarked
It's your opinion but I stand by the reasons in my post prior.

Hidden because of the reason I stated in my post prior.
thelewa
I'm going to use myself as an example here and say that it's more simple to do everything with my dominant hand (clicking and movement) as to actually learning to do stuff with my non-dominant hand. Heck, I still mess up stuff with my left hand and my brain feels cluttered when I play osu. That's why I said that it depends on the person.

And you come in and try to say that what is good for YOU to play with is the ABSOLUTE BEST WAY.

edit: Also, people are different. Even if one way of playing is better in theory, it might not be better for some people. You do know that some people can't focus on playing with 2 hands at all?
Zelmarked
Not continuing this here. PM me if you want. I made my opinion insult free and was already being pre-referred as "stupid" for it. Yet I'm essentially being labeled as the antagonizer.

Even though I took the safegaurd of hiding my semi-antagonistic rhetoric as to not derail, I will somehow be blamed for that as well.

PM if you want.
lolcubes
You know, I bet lots of people made the mistake (or maybe it's not a mistake!! haha) of playing with mouse only until they found out they can actually use the keyboard, just like I did. Probably the reason why I still use mouseclicks, because I have been using them forever cause any swap to keyboard felt weird and unnatural to me. I still use my keyboard for streams though.

Also, this is a topic about doubletime, and all I have to say is that I suck at it. :D
shameless re-rail haha
show more