forum

Loved Redemption Voting: Round 1

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Toy
Hi everyone! This week will be different for a number of reasons! First of all, you may notice that every map nominated today has already been put up for nomination before. This week will be a sort of "redemption" week for reasons I will explain shortly.

In the past, the way that the Loved category had worked was to let players vote maps into the category in comparison to other maps. This meant that whatever maps were pushed through or rejected that week were highly influenced by what maps they were competing against that same week. As time progresses, the average quality of maps being put up for nomination will slowly dwindle BUT the roughly the same amount of maps will enter the category each week.

This is highly unfair to the maps which are of much higher quality, but were rejected solely because they were nominated early on along with more popular maps causing them to be somewhat outshined. The point of this "redemption" vote is to give each map previously rejected another chance to be Loved under a new, fairer voting system.

Another issue I had noticed is that players seemed to feel the need to vote "strategically", where if a map is below the cutoff range, the best way to help it would be to vote for it and only it in order to try to sway percentages back in the map's favor. While appreciated how strongly people fight for maps, it unfortunately goes against the point of the voting as a means to gauge how many people want one map. The strategy to keep all maps within a small range of votes to allow for more maps to enter the category was not wrong, but instead showed that the system itself was flawed.

Today I propose a new way to vote! I've spoken to nekodex, a web coder for the new website, and he's expressed that he and the ppy.co crew are unfortunately too busy to create a new way to vote for Loved maps (though it's on their to-do list!) for how I envision this voting to work best, so instead in the meantime I will be hosting Strawpoll votes which will function similarly until then!

The way this week's redemption vote will work as well as all future Loved votes (if it works well) is that instead of players voting for maps to enter the category in comparison to other maps, each map will simply have a Yes/No vote attached to them. This way, it is in everyone's best interest to vote on every single map nominated (though admittedly more tedious because of requiring a 3rd party website to do so).

Maps will require a 90% approval rate in order to qualify. Votes will be checked after 7 days. Anything exceeding that threshold will be pushed into the category.

Feel free to use the Strawpoll comments under each poll to discuss why or why not a map deserves to enter the Loved category!

That said, here are this week's nominees!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nero vs After School - Sound In Motion vs AH (Fauxami Mashup) by galvenize
Vote for this map here!

ayaponzu* - Yakubyougami by cRyo[iceeicee]
Vote for this map here!

Shintani Ryoko - Wonderful World by HanzeR
Vote for this map here!

Reol - +Danshi by Evening
Vote for this map here!

Memme - Uranium by Jemmmmy
Vote for this map here!

Yuuyu - Scrap Syndrome by Snow Note
Vote for this map here!

HujuniseikouyuuP - Too young to beer. by Broccoly
Vote for this map here!

SOUTAISEIRIRON - Shikaku Kakumei by EvilElvisV2
Vote for this map here!

Knife Party - Songs Compilation by TrigonometrY
Vote for this map here!

cosMo@Bousou-P - Denpa Shoujo to Kuusou Teien by BarkingMadDog
Vote for this map here!
fieryrage
meh never gonna hit those notes isnt in it
RyuKShootSchool

fieryrage wrote:

shut up sean
Uber
shouldn't you wait to see the results before setting the threshold lol
Topic Starter
Toy

Uber wrote:

shouldn't you wait to see the results before setting the threshold lol
You're probably right, I wasn't sure what a reasonable threshold was and it'll likely vary based on participation.
Wutever

fieryrage wrote:

i'd vote for it.
Xinnoh
i like this new system, never made sense that loved maps had to compete with each toher
Frc
please vote shikaku kakumei

that map has been in the obscurity for far too long

too young to beer is also godmode tho
Ephemeral
sound in motion vs AH or riot
xChorse
one for all loved when eyes emoji
den0saur
Don't ever expect Shikaku Kakumei to be in Loved, the mapper himself is against it. He said this is his twitter as well
https://twitter.com/Jounzan/status/929140143818182656
Topic Starter
Toy
Here are the final results!

As Uber mentioned, it seems like it'd make way more sense to set a % threshold AFTER voting because none of the maps reached the original 90% threshold.

The new threshold from now on will be 75%. According to this new rule, the following maps reached sufficient votes to be moved into the Loved category:

Nero vs After School - Sound In Motion vs AH (Fauxami Mashup) by galvenize
ayaponzu* - Yakubyougami by cRyo[iceeicee]
Shintani Ryoko - Wonderful World by HanzeR
Reol - +Danshi by Evening
Memme - Uranium by Jemmmmy
Yuuyu - Scrap Syndrome by Snow Note
HujuniseikouyuuP - Too young to beer. by Broccoly
SOUTAISEIRIRON - Shikaku Kakumei by EvilElvisV2
cosMo@Bousou-P - Denpa Shoujo to Kuusou Teien by BarkingMadDog

Thanks to all who voted!
Ideal
tl;dr: all loved except knife party

it was at 74% too lol rip
Lefafel
Good stuff, glad to see some of these maps finally getting the recognition and love (heh) they deserve!
honk
beautiful
Love
75% es good