forum

mouse dpi used by top level players?

posted
Total Posts
show more
aBunny
5)when grabbing mouse,move it little way diagonally to left(works great for jumps and spinnings)
what does this even mean
Breiz

sarasseo wrote:

5)when grabbing mouse,move it little way diagonally to left(works great for jumps and spinnings)
what does this even mean
I think he means this

hold your mouse like the left line.. am I good at paint?
TakuMii

Breiz wrote:

I think he means this

i can tell you're not using 6/11
Ethelon
I'm definitely not anywhere near the best, but I play at 3600dpi on the Deathadder (1.0x in osu!). I've read stuff about lower dpi giving you more muscle control but I've had a miserable time whenever I've tried to go lower.

Is it worth it to just grind out new muscle memory at a lower dpi? I know that people play at what's comfortable for them, and you don't necessarily just copy the pros to magically be good, but I think there's a legitimate argument here for increased accuracy where I would otherwise hit a wall in the future.
Mathsma

Ethelon wrote:

I'm definitely not anywhere near the best, but I play at 3600dpi on the Deathadder (1.0x in osu!). I've read stuff about lower dpi giving you more muscle control but I've had a miserable time whenever I've tried to go lower.

Is it worth it to just grind out new muscle memory at a lower dpi? I know that people play at what's comfortable for them, and you don't necessarily just copy the pros to magically be good, but I think there's a legitimate argument here for increased accuracy where I would otherwise hit a wall in the future.
Yes, it is worth it. You can either lower your dpi slowly, maybe 100 or 200 dpi a day, or just drop completely to a low dpi such as 800 (that is really a medium dpi but it's nice).
Skriggniichan
Most mouse players play between 450-1600 dpi from what I've seen and heard. Personally playing on 1100 right now.
B1rd

GoldenWolf wrote:

B1rd wrote:

I don't really think any sensitivity is worse than any others, it's just about preference; how you hold the mouse/what muscles you use.

I've tested out using 4000dpi even, it wasn't that hard, just had to use fine finger movements instead of large wrist movements.
Play Count: 234

It's your opinion and I respect it, but try to play more (and more difficult maps, up to insanes) to see if this is still true.
It shouldn't take that much investigation to realise that I've played a lot offline, I don't have an internet connection at my unit yet.

Currently I can complete some easier insane songs, and last a little while through the harder AR9 ones.
NotCookie_old
Doomsday uses around 2k, Soly uses 1.8k. Seriously, just use what is comfortable. Mouse takes a lot of work to get good with, more so than tablet.
B1rd
Jappybabes too, he uses 1800.
shavit
If you want to successfully aim - 400DPI with 1.0x sensitivity
RaneFire

Ethelon wrote:

Lower your DPI as you find it necessary. When it feels like it's too much effort, it's probably counter-productive. You still need to get better at the game at the same time and that requires a reasonably comfortable setting, otherwise you will just grind it out until your hand can move properly at that DPI and only then you will start learning, which is the wrong way to go about it. As your hand/eye coordination gets faster, among other things, the inclination to lower it should come naturally as you strive to improve.

People promote 400 DPI like it's the be-all and end-all, because that's the MS mice default setting and lowest DPI step of the Logitech MX500 to G400s series of mice, which a lot of god players have used, but that doesn't mean you have to play on it. You could easily say 300 is better, but then it becomes subjective. It's a matter of what you can play better on, and what you can't. The only way to find out is to actively try and improve your aim, and you will see where the problems lie, instead of blindly changing your DPI.
TheVileOne
I use 1800 DPI and 5/11 windows. 1.5x in game.

Is there a setting that allows one to spin better?

It seems that my spins are just locked at a certain speed, and spinning faster seems to lower my SPM. I wonder if it's my settings or something that affects my ability to spin.
Mathsma

TheVileOne wrote:

I use 1800 DPI and 5/11 windows. 1.5x in game.

Is there a setting that allows one to spin better?

It seems that my spins are just locked at a certain speed, and spinning faster seems to lower my SPM. I wonder if it's my settings or something that affects my ability to spin.
DPI does not affect spin speed, you just need to be more precise on lower DPI's because you might not be spinning around the center of the screen.
Breiz

YayMii wrote:

Breiz wrote:

I think he means this

i can tell you're not using 6/11
yep 7/11, IE3.0 problems ~~ woops actually it's 8/11, that's why the line looks like shit

Also, TVO, why are you messing around with your windows & osu! settings? I mean instead of just adjusting one.
B1rd
I think it's probably best for precision to turn your DPI up high and then just change your Osu! sensitivity. For example, say you like 400 dpi, turn it up to 3200 and change your Osu! sensitivity to 12.5.
Mathsma

B1rd wrote:

I think it's probably best for precision to turn your DPI up high and then just change your Osu! sensitivity. For example, say you like 400 dpi, turn it up to 3200 and change your Osu! sensitivity to 12.5.
wat?

edit - oh, you meant .125. I think it's better to keep your mouse dpi as close to your desired dpi as possible.
TakuMii

B1rd wrote:

It's actually much better to just find the native DPI of your mouse and use that (for example, most 3500/4000dpi mice work best at 800dpi). Mouse sensors aren't perfect, so they're more prone to error when you increase their DPI.
Also, software-based interpolation will limit the amount of information interpreted from the mouse, so it's not necessarily the best solution. Using your example: if you're using software to divide the DPI by 8, you're also effectively dividing your polling rate by 8.
cestnhatan514
i use 3250 with my heavy mouse

(g502s with all the weight)
(5 weights of 3g each)
Artorias_DELETED
Doomsday uses 3150 (+- 50) DPI, whoever says otherwise doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about.

His aim and snapping is perfect.

I use 6/11 windows, 1.0x osu, raw input osu, and 1600 DPI on mouse, I'll probably switch to 2k DPI now.
B1rd

Constantine4 wrote:

Doomsday uses 3150 (+- 50) DPI, whoever says otherwise doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about.

I use 6/11 windows, 1.0x osu, raw input osu, and 1600 DPI on mouse, I'll probably switch to 2k DPI now.
He uses Razer driver settings which makes the effective DPI around 1300. But it's not that relevant because Doomsday is a goods stream player, not a good aim player. The majority of good mouse players use a dpi of somewhere near 1000 or under, with the maximum being about 2000.
x_Co0ki420ezi_x

Constantine4 wrote:

ahahahah
Vuelo Eluko
cookezie usedt 600 dpei
AmaiHachimitsu
Why is that there are still people thinking that DPI is the only thing that matters?

http://jsfiddle.net/an789d4s/embedded/result/

The thing that matters is the actual sensitivity with all main factors included, in this case the play area (cm) figure is the best option. (the easiest way is to just take the first number)

For comparison, mine is 6.5cm

cptnXn is 7.2

FunOrange is 4.3
Vuelo Eluko
o gm funonorange taht guy who fcd blue dragon[guy who maket gay pony map O.O]s Airman witth hiden?
xGx

ZenithPhantasm
3.4798000000000004cm x 2.6162cm is this big? O_o
x_Co0ki420ezi_x
my rzer mous he has 16k dpi and cna jump air man ez no fail get fucked u ppl who dont hav rszezer mouse
AmaiHachimitsu

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Nearly twice as fast as mine, but acceptable. Mind that me and cptnXn are low sens players.

Doomsday is about 2.2cm so there is nothing wrong.
SkilledSchnipa

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Nearly twice as fast as mine, but acceptable. Mind that me and cptnXn are low sens players.

Doomsday is about 2.2cm so there is nothing wrong.
Hi,
I started playing osu three years ago but never really bothered to visit the forums until now, im looking to get better at the game, so i was searching for some advice for mouse sensitivity etc.
I used your fiddle and it told me i have a playearea of 0.254cm x 0.20320000000000002cm (5670 DPI, x1.4 in Osu using Raw Input).
I wonder if it is that unusual to use such a high DPI and if I should set it lower?
dung eater

SkilledSchnipa wrote:

Hi,
I started playing osu three years ago but never really bothered to visit the forums until now, im looking to get better at the game, so i was searching for some advice for mouse sensitivity etc.
I used your fiddle and it told me i have a playearea of 0.254cm x 0.20320000000000002cm (5670 DPI, x1.4 in Osu using Raw Input).
I wonder if it is that unusual to use such a high DPI and if I should set it lower?

It is pretty high and probably will impair your ability to move cursor accurately on circles, especially when dealing with cs5-10. You would probably get a lot out by trying out 400 - 2000 dpi and 1x osu sens and settling for a much lower sensitivity.
ZenithPhantasm

jaaakb wrote:

SkilledSchnipa wrote:

Hi,

It is pretty high and probably will impair your ability to move cursor accurately on circles, especially when dealing with cs5-10. You would probably get a lot out by trying out 400 - 2000 dpi and 1x osu sens and settling for a much lower sensitivity.
High DPI=Bad
Low DPI=Good
FlamingRok

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

High DPI=Bad
Low DPI=Good
Any DPI != good

I'm not exactly the best at this game, but I can consistently play some of the harder Insane maps out there. My super high tech gear is all of a $3 dollar mouse and your everyday flat-keyed keyboard (because laptop keyboards are harder to stream on for me).
I Give Up
There is no single sensitivity that is best for everyone. Each player has an affinity to a certain play area and it takes a bit of courage to experiment and find which sensitivity is best for you.
ImperialYama
-
ryuugamine_kun
1200dpi on my e-sport raiden, cheapo gaming mouse :) combo with my crappy genius membrane type board... planning on getting a mech board when i get enough moolah d( TT w TT )
Dephix
500 DPI 1920x1080
Accurian
I use 2400DPI, 1.0 osu sensitivity, 6 Windows sensitivity, no mouse acceleration, raw input, playing at 1920x1080.
Zaphkielx
I use 4400 DPI, 1.39 on osu and 6/11 on windows, resolution: 1280x1024 (borderless).
Hmm... am I the only one who used to play with such high DPI on osu? °°
ZenithPhantasm
400 dpi
autoteleology

Accurian wrote:

I use 2400DPI, 1.0 osu sensitivity, 6 Windows sensitivity, no mouse acceleration, raw input, playing at 1920x1080.
hey look its me
show more