forum

mouse dpi used by top level players?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Floks
That awkward moment when you realize that switching to a smaller resolution changes the aspect ratio from 16/10 to 4/3...

Then I remembered I can set my mouses x and y axis to different DPI. So now I play at 4000x and 4800y at 640x480 resolution. Loving it so far. Of course I need to remember to change it back for things other than OSU XD
Utar_old
i am confused. i read here that the most of u players play under 1000 dpi. WTF?
sorry, but i cant understand how u can aim on some hard or insane songs. i play on 7/11 on windows, 2x on osu, and 7000 dpi on my mouse D:
is smth wrong with me?? :?
Icyteru
how do you aim with that sensitivity?
Sup A Noob
And I thought I was crazy
TakuMii

Utar wrote:

i am confused. i read here that the most of u players play under 1000 dpi. WTF?
sorry, but i cant understand how u can aim on some hard or insane songs. i play on 7/11 on windows, 2x on osu, and 7000 dpi on my mouse D:
is smth wrong with me?? :?
i can't understand how you aim with those settings
if you add the windows and osu multipliers together, you're using the equivalent to 21000 dpi
what even

serious answer: having a lower DPI means circles will cover more physical area, allowing for more accuracy/less room for error.
GoldenWolf
wtf dude
I tried with 19200 dpi (3200 + osu! x4 + 7/11(assuming 7/11 means x1.5)) and it's totally impossible to aim correctly, it skips like 20 pixels with the tiniest movement I can do
How can you even play with those settings ._.
Winshley
To think that I even already had difficulties playing with 3,500dpi (my bro's Razer Abyssus) and 0.8× osu! mouse speed... <.<;;
buny
Play Count: 1,033

also having 4x sensitivity in osu settings itself would cause you to skip pixels
TakuMii

GoldenWolf wrote:

wtf dude
I tried with 19200 dpi (3200 + osu! x4 + 7/11(assuming 7/11 means x1.5)) and it's totally impossible to aim correctly, it skips like 20 pixels with the tiniest movement I can do
How can you even play with those settings ._.
software multipliers make the cursor skip pixels, your osu 4.0x is going to skip more than his 2.0x even if his mouse still moves faster.
Marcin
I'm playing with 7/11 and 3600 dpi... FOR THE WHOLE TIME (31k playcount hi)
boat
45600cpi master race

all pros should use this
zerod
I'm not pro but I play 3500DPI osux2 and setting in window 11/11
Luvdic
Problem with such using such high sensitivity is that you put too much restraints in your hand to maintain your cursor precision, and after some time it can really wear you off and increasing the odds of missing. Another problem is that patterns with low DS suddenly becomes like 10 times harder, anyways, this comes from someone who used to use 2000 dpi, osu! sensitivity of 1,8x and windows 6/11, and been using since January 900 dpi, osu! sensitivity 1,0x windows 6/11 and now my aim is steady long enough for me to fc some hard maps.
Pokarisuetto
I'm nowhere near top level, but I use an old HP 5 button web mouse http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Optical-5-Button-USB-Mouse-800dpi-White-/331032357133

even odder, i use acceleration from windows settings

I'm scared for my mouse to break, I'm gonna face a skill drop. I also click, I don't use the keyboard. I'm 13k though so meh, I'm not that bad of a player.

I also play 1680x1050 resolution
MiDNiGhT2903
Not a great player but I used 5600 dpi with 1.0x osu.
AmaiHachimitsu
I'm the best player out there and I use 400 dpi/1024x768 playfield
chanhien

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I'm the best player out there and I use 400 dpi/1024x768 playfield
All hail the best player :) :) :) !!!

Mine:
NixXSkate
I'm ok with any sens that's between 750-900dpi; 1000dpi is pushing it a little. (1024x768 windowed)
- Choko -
Mouse: Logitech G9X
Windows Sensitivty: Maxed with Acceleration/precision on
DPI:1700
Osu!:1.0x (with precision on)
Maxed Sensitivity and Acceleration in the Logitech program
shortpotato
started with 1600 dpi
then i kept going down and now im at 700
PhoenixBird
i think the question:mouse dpi used by top level players? - is not correct!

Correct is:(interrelated things)
1) resolution (1440, 1024 or another, full screen, windowed)
2) mousepad (speed mousepad or precision mousepad, plastic or cloth)
3) dpi of mouse + ( osu sens, windows sens, accel, polling rate)
4) playstyle: mouse+keyb or mouseonly: mouse+keyb style players have DPI less then for mouse only
[ HCB ]
Using high mouse dpi to play well??? don't kidding with me...
i'm maybe not a top player but i have a lot of experience with mouse.

I got a trick for all mouse players here :
1)use fullscreen with same resolution as your computer resolution (it will reduce lags for low-end pc)
2)don't use mouse with high dpi because you can't control it on spinner ( Recommending using 800dpi or below)
3)Buy a mouse that fit with well with your hand (Not too big and not too small)
4)buy a little expensive mouse pad too (really great if you want to make a great spin)
5)when grabbing mouse,move it little way diagonally to left(works great for jumps and spinnings)
6)DON'T EVEN OR EVER TENSE YOUR HAND THAT HOLDING THE MOUSE WHILE PLAYING (That's gonna make your hand really tired and moving not right in order)
7)Disable mouse precision
8)Don't even try playing on netbook (because it will make a very tiny score of spin and has much lags)

that's it... hope that was usefull.you can copy and paste this information everywhere.of course include my name there.

My mouse : A4TECH X7-F2 950dpi
My mouse pad : E-Blue Cobra Size M
My Windows Speed : 6/11
My osu speed! : x1.05
My Resolution : 1024x640 (Fullscreen.I'm a netbook user :o I hope i get a new laptop sooner)
My playstyle : Mouse and keyboard
buny

harizcoolboy wrote:

1)use fullscreen with same resolution as your computer resolution (it will reduce lags for low-end pc)
2)don't use mouse with high dpi because you can't control it on spinner ( Recommending using 800dpi or below)
4)buy a little expensive mouse pad too (really great if you want to make a great spin)
5)when grabbing mouse,move it little way diagonally to left(works great for jumps and spinnings)
6)DON'T EVEN OR EVER TENSE YOUR HAND THAT HOLDING THE MOUSE WHILE PLAYING (That's gonna make your hand really tired and moving not right in order)
8)Don't even try playing on netbook (because it will make a very tiny score of spin and has much lags)

that's it... hope that was usefull.you can copy and paste this information everywhere.of course include my name there.

My Resolution : 1024x640 (Fullscreen.I'm a netbook user :o I hope i get a new laptop sooner)
No wonder you aren't a top player.
Penguin

buny wrote:

harizcoolboy wrote:

No wonder you aren't a top player.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read this lol
B1rd
I use 2000dpi on a Razer Deathadder, Windows 6/11 and Osu! 1.0x. I actually increased the sensitivity a while ago because it was it was awkward moving the mouse so much when I like to have my wrist planted on the mousepad.

I don't really think any sensitivity is worse than any others, it's just about preference; how you hold the mouse/what muscles you use.

I've tested out using 4000dpi even, it wasn't that hard, just had to use fine finger movements instead of large wrist movements.
GoldenWolf

B1rd wrote:

I don't really think any sensitivity is worse than any others, it's just about preference; how you hold the mouse/what muscles you use.

I've tested out using 4000dpi even, it wasn't that hard, just had to use fine finger movements instead of large wrist movements.
Play Count: 234

It's your opinion and I respect it, but try to play more (and more difficult maps, up to insanes) to see if this is still true.
Volcanism
I wouldn't really consider myself a 'top' player but here's my input anyway.

I've been using a mouse since I started and I have gone from 2000 dpi to 1000.
If my mouse didn't have odd dpi steps, I'd probably be playing on 800 or so dpi.
I know I can change my sensitivity on osu, but I prefer that my sensitivity is the same for all of the things I use my mouse for.

Also, it's quite odd but I used 2000 dpi at 1440x900 and now I use 1000 dpi at 1920x1080 fullscreen.

From what I can gather, a lower dpi is better generally as it allows for muscle memory to develop (without mouse accel. of course).
aBunny
what does this even mean
Breiz

sarasseo wrote:

what does this even mean
I think he means this

hold your mouse like the left line.. am I good at paint?
TakuMii

Breiz wrote:

I think he means this

hold your mouse like the left line.. am I good at paint?
i can tell you're not using 6/11
Ethelon
I'm definitely not anywhere near the best, but I play at 3600dpi on the Deathadder (1.0x in osu!). I've read stuff about lower dpi giving you more muscle control but I've had a miserable time whenever I've tried to go lower.

Is it worth it to just grind out new muscle memory at a lower dpi? I know that people play at what's comfortable for them, and you don't necessarily just copy the pros to magically be good, but I think there's a legitimate argument here for increased accuracy where I would otherwise hit a wall in the future.
Mathsma

Ethelon wrote:

I'm definitely not anywhere near the best, but I play at 3600dpi on the Deathadder (1.0x in osu!). I've read stuff about lower dpi giving you more muscle control but I've had a miserable time whenever I've tried to go lower.

Is it worth it to just grind out new muscle memory at a lower dpi? I know that people play at what's comfortable for them, and you don't necessarily just copy the pros to magically be good, but I think there's a legitimate argument here for increased accuracy where I would otherwise hit a wall in the future.
Yes, it is worth it. You can either lower your dpi slowly, maybe 100 or 200 dpi a day, or just drop completely to a low dpi such as 800 (that is really a medium dpi but it's nice).
Skriggniichan
Most mouse players play between 450-1600 dpi from what I've seen and heard. Personally playing on 1100 right now.
B1rd

GoldenWolf wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Play Count: 234

It's your opinion and I respect it, but try to play more (and more difficult maps, up to insanes) to see if this is still true.
It shouldn't take that much investigation to realise that I've played a lot offline, I don't have an internet connection at my unit yet.

Currently I can complete some easier insane songs, and last a little while through the harder AR9 ones.
NotCookie_old
Doomsday uses around 2k, Soly uses 1.8k. Seriously, just use what is comfortable. Mouse takes a lot of work to get good with, more so than tablet.
B1rd
Jappybabes too, he uses 1800.
shavit
If you want to successfully aim - 400DPI with 1.0x sensitivity
RaneFire

Ethelon wrote:

Lower your DPI as you find it necessary. When it feels like it's too much effort, it's probably counter-productive. You still need to get better at the game at the same time and that requires a reasonably comfortable setting, otherwise you will just grind it out until your hand can move properly at that DPI and only then you will start learning, which is the wrong way to go about it. As your hand/eye coordination gets faster, among other things, the inclination to lower it should come naturally as you strive to improve.

People promote 400 DPI like it's the be-all and end-all, because that's the MS mice default setting and lowest DPI step of the Logitech MX500 to G400s series of mice, which a lot of god players have used, but that doesn't mean you have to play on it. You could easily say 300 is better, but then it becomes subjective. It's a matter of what you can play better on, and what you can't. The only way to find out is to actively try and improve your aim, and you will see where the problems lie, instead of blindly changing your DPI.
TheVileOne
I use 1800 DPI and 5/11 windows. 1.5x in game.

Is there a setting that allows one to spin better?

It seems that my spins are just locked at a certain speed, and spinning faster seems to lower my SPM. I wonder if it's my settings or something that affects my ability to spin.
Mathsma

TheVileOne wrote:

I use 1800 DPI and 5/11 windows. 1.5x in game.

Is there a setting that allows one to spin better?

It seems that my spins are just locked at a certain speed, and spinning faster seems to lower my SPM. I wonder if it's my settings or something that affects my ability to spin.
DPI does not affect spin speed, you just need to be more precise on lower DPI's because you might not be spinning around the center of the screen.
show more