forum

mouse dpi used by top level players?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Frizz
800 dpi too mainstream
Xylem Beer
Well I'm not a top level player, but I use 3500DPI.
Pizzicato
doomsday uses 800dpi.
kriers
I feel I really don't care about dpi used by top players. :|

What's actually interesting to me, is the actual sensitivity that players use. For instance, how much do they have to move their mouse to reach each corner of the playfield?
Onozu
800dpi, 0.8x Sensitivity. Am i doing too slow?
kriers

0nozuka Komachi wrote:

Your settings would make my cursor fly into the corners of my screen
dudusek
400dpi ftw!
Mesita

kriers wrote:

0nozuka Komachi wrote:

depends on windows settings too.
emonite

dudusek wrote:

400dpi ftw!
So slow?How you all play...I really want to see it... :?
Jalatiphra
3,5k dpi * 1.0 osu * 1.0 windows * 1680/1050 @ full screen
Anzo

kriers wrote:

0nozuka Komachi wrote:

^same here, except if you're going to compensate with a higher resolution.
melenkurio
I don't really get why so many people are DPI whores. Really any top mouse player could just full combo most maps with a cheap 5$ mouse if he gets his sensitivity to the same level as before and some practise. Even some counterstrike progamers (where accuracy is even more important) Just use a mouse with under 600 dpi and it works perfectly fine. Equipment will never change how good you really are at the game.
-Athena-
As a mouse only player, I normally use a $5 mouse at home (yes really $5)
But after trying the game with a gaming mouse at my friend's house I must say what mattered wasn't the dpi, it was the er.. *clickability*
I no longer had to compress my mouse buttons with ten thousand tonnes of pressure to register a click and that really made a difference
Kanye West

oh loving you wrote:

hey, what about mouse acceleration? i heard that turning it off would be good...
It depends. I've always played with it on and when I turned it off, I started doing way worse
-Athena-
Give it some time. I took 2 days to get used to it, things went uphill from there
Ephemeral
back when i actually cared about my rank, i used to have my mouse set to 600 dpi and i would adjust my ingame sensitivity by +/- 0.2 depending on the type of map i was playing.

the mouse used doesn't really matter as long as you are comfortable clicking with it often enough, even if you use the keyboard. i found a great way of increasing your accuracy was to play with just the mouse since clicking often shifted the mouse slightly, causing you to aim dead-center instead of at the outer edge. once you get used to that and switch back to the keyboard, your accuracy goes through the roof.

well, at least it did for me.
kriers

Ephemeral wrote:

back when i actually cared about my rank, i used to have my mouse set to 600 dpi and i would adjust my ingame sensitivity by +/- 0.2 depending on the type of map i was playing.

the mouse used doesn't really matter as long as you are comfortable clicking with it often enough, even if you use the keyboard. i found a great way of increasing your accuracy was to play with just the mouse since clicking often shifted the mouse slightly, causing you to aim dead-center instead of at the outer edge. once you get used to that and switch back to the keyboard, your accuracy goes through the roof.

well, at least it did for me.
You haven't played much for eons! You should totally try out this game again. It is a good game after all ;p
ziin

kriers wrote:

I feel I really don't care about dpi used by top players. :|

What's actually interesting to me, is the actual sensitivity that players use. For instance, how much do they have to move their mouse to reach each corner of the playfield?
I move less than 1 cm. That being said, I find that changing my dpi down from 4k+ to less than 1000 has a minimal effect. I'm without a doubt better with 4k dpi, but there is likely merit in using a lower dpi. For example, I can't use mouse buttons on 4k dpi because it's impossible to do so without moving the mouse off the cursor. However, spinning is much harder on a low dpi.

emonite wrote:

dudusek wrote:

400dpi ftw!
So slow?How you all play...I really want to see it... :?

IMO this is far too low. If you can't do a 720 moving from one end of the mousepad to the other, it's not usable. This sort of gameplay also makes the MX518 a shitty mouse since it has pointer acceleration and line snapping. I'm unsure if it happens at 400 dpi, but it definitely does at lower values. That's what makes the intellimouse so good for these sorts of players.
kriers

ziin wrote:

I move less than 1 cm. That being said, I find that changing my dpi down from 4k+ to less than 1000 has a minimal effect. I'm without a doubt better with 4k dpi, but there is likely merit in using a lower dpi. For example, I can't use mouse buttons on 4k dpi because it's impossible to do so without moving the mouse off the cursor. However, spinning is much harder on a low dpi.
I move more than 7 cm, and yeah, I do this because I'm a clicker. Even so, I find spinning with low dpi so much easier thanks to
the extra control I gain.
ziin
on high sensitivity, no matter where the circle's center is, you will always be hitting the 4 corners of the screen, which means you can spin as fast as you want, and even move the center of the circle.

It probably is easier to spin in general on a low dpi, but it's easier to spin fast on a high dpi. Recovering after the spin is a different story.
Mesita

ziin wrote:

on high sensitivity, no matter where the circle's center is, you will always be hitting the 4 corners of the screen, which means you can spin as fast as you want, and even move the center of the circle.

It probably is easier to spin in general on a low dpi, but it's easier to spin fast on a high dpi. Recovering after the spin is a different story.
you can always hit the 4 corners on low sensitivity too... u just have to know "how to play it", low sensitivity is all about wrist. Usually people tend to move the mouse with their arm, so they don't get the full potential of it.
kriers

Mesita wrote:

ziin wrote:

you can always hit the 4 corners on low sensitivity too... u just have to know "how to play it", low sensitivity is all about wrist. Usually people tend to move the mouse with their arm, so they don't get the full potential of it.
You mean, usually people tend to move the mouse with their fingers, as in a clawed grip?

Higher sensitivity is great for claw grip since the mouse can easily reach every corner of the screen, which is what I think ziin is referring to.
Lower sensitivity allows for, or actually requires, arm movement to fill in the spots that can't be reached with a clawed grip. You can also use a palm grip and mainly use arm/wrist for movement.

In my case I use 100% arm for up and down and about 50% wrist for left and right.
Mesita
My live experience (LAN tournaments) taught me that most players used palm grip and arm movement... but w/e. I use low sensitivity in FPS games + claw grip and i use my wrist to play :/ no problems so far.
kriers
with 9/11 windows settings, you can easily use a clawed grip, even if you use 400/450 dpi ;p
I actually move 3 times more than you lol
D33d
I'm nowhere near a top player, but my playing improved drastically after switching to 300-400DPI. It just gives me more control, regardless of which grip I'm using. 800+ just made it really awkward to keep the cursor moving steadily, especially with streams.
Mesita

kriers wrote:

with 9/11 windows settings, you can easily use a clawed grip, even if you use 400/450 dpi ;p
I actually move 3 times more than you lol
that was osu... i ment FPS gaming. I use 6/11 and very slow sens
ziin

Mesita wrote:

Low sensitivity is, what, 400 dpi?

on osu, standard resolution is probably 1024x768 right? So to get all 4 corners you need to move at least 2 inches. You're telling me there are people who spin in osu using a 3 inch diameter circle? Pardon me if I am in disbelief. Such a waste of energy.

By the way, I use a palm grip, though I suppose it's similar to a claw grip. I never move my arm, except when spinning, where it's necessary to get that vertical distance. My wrist stays on the mousepad and never moves.
Mesita
i used to play 1680x1050 fullscreen, 450 dpi, 6/11 windows, no mouse precision. And yeah it is possible to hit all 4 corners that way.
kriers

ziin wrote:

on osu, standard resolution is probably 1024x768 right? So to get all 4 corners you need to move at least 2 inches. You're telling me there are people who spin in osu using a 3 inch diameter circle? Pardon me if I am in disbelief. Such a waste of energy.
I just don't get why you're always putting so much focus on energy usage. You talked about not bottoming out keyboard keys for the exact same reason.
If this game is all about being energy efficient, then I really suck at it. At the same time, I'm probably several times faster than high sensitivity mouse users, obviously because I've trained my hand to tolerate my low sensitivity while giving me much better aim.

Players should do their best to challenge their own limits and increase their amount of energy.

ziin wrote:

By the way, I use a palm grip, though I suppose it's similar to a claw grip. I never move my arm, except when spinning, where it's necessary to get that vertical distance. My wrist stays on the mousepad and never moves.
This sort of play style is commonly used, but it's more like a solution for people who can't deal with lower sensitivity. You could ask aevv about this. He'd complain that he couldn't go lower and was stuck at his medium sensitivity.
Jaay-
1000 dpi, 4/11 windows, 1.1x osu, no mouse accel. The best for me :)
NixXSkate
i use 800 dpi (windows 6/11) and 1200 dpi (windows 7/11) for fast spinning on easier maps. if anyone cares... orz
i have a feeling people that use over 4000 dpi aren't finding their dpi amount correctly, sometimes mouse settings just make no sense until you install the silly drivers
Inaba_old_1
I use 1500 dpi with windows on 5/11. Osu on 1.0x, with mouse precision on.
Quite easy for me to do jumps, once I got used to it.
I'm an average player that is able to full combo hard songs easily in a few tries, it takes me awhile to full combo songs on insane (not the crazy ones)

Give it a try.
Sprobius
I use 4/800/1600/2400/3200dpi. 4/800 - Easy | 1600 - Normal | 2400 - Hard | 3200 - Insane/Lunatic |
It's still the same for me
Mukku
I am awesome and I use 1600dpi, 6/11 windows, 1.0x osu!

lol
thelewa
MUKKUPOST
Floks
So nobody uses high mouse sensitivity? I started playing 2 weeks ago at 4900 DPI. Currently I can pass insane maps and I bumped it up to 5300 DPI because I had trouble with some of the jumps.

At 1.0x in game.

I've been gaming at a high sensitivity for awhile now, but I figured with OSU it would be more common. Also from watching videos of tablet users, the main advantage seems to be speed? They move very small amounts to cover the whole screen. I kind of related high mouse sensitivity to a tablets speed.

I have not been playing long though...
Kanye West
I've gotten so used do default sens that when I turn it up, I always overshoot everything. If you're still getting used to things i guess you can play around with sens settings and stuff though
G0r

Floks wrote:

So nobody uses high mouse sensitivity? I started playing 2 weeks ago at 4900 DPI. Currently I can pass insane maps and I bumped it up to 5300 DPI because I had trouble with some of the jumps.

At 1.0x in game.

I've been gaming at a high sensitivity for awhile now, but I figured with OSU it would be more common. Also from watching videos of tablet users, the main advantage seems to be speed? They move very small amounts to cover the whole screen. I kind of related high mouse sensitivity to a tablets speed.

I have not been playing long though...
It is flat out impossible to play accurately at an incredibly high DPI like 5300. Any small motion would send your cursor flying. The slower the cursor moves, the more hand and arm movement is needed, and this means more ability to control your muscles and move with accuracy and precision. Larger motions will always be easier to handle for a human being than small motions. Just try writing in very small letters vs. very large letters. High speed of movement is nice, but the problem is that people can't easily control very fast moving things. A machine, however, might be able to be accurate at a DPI of 5300, and probably outplay a human, since it would have the advantage of a faster cursor.

The majority of professional gamers in Starcraft 2 play at DPI below 1000, but normally not below 400. I have heard that this is a trend in professional gaming in general. As I understand it the top Osu players are usually sub 1000 too.

For many people, myself included, playing with a high DPI initially feels easier than using a low DPI, because your hand is not trained to move quickly, so the long and fast movements confound your muscles, and the high DPI can make you feel like you have more control. However, as your muscles adjust better and your muscle memory starts to learn how to make precise movements you will start to feel how difficult it is to control the cursor when it moves with that little hand movement.

Lastly, using Enhanced Pointer Precision sometimes causes people to use high DPI because their small movements get converted into lower DPI reactions by the Enhanced Pointer Precision acceleration. Turn this off in windows, if you haven't already.
Floks

G0r wrote:

It is flat out impossible to play accurately at an incredibly high DPI like 5300.
Are you serious? Feel free to watch my crappy youtube channel, but honestly all it takes is hand control instead of arm control. Link is on my profile.

Edit: And yes, I have mouse acceleration and precision turned off, I've played video games before. I have base level 5300 DPI playing fullscreen at 1440x900.
kriers

G0r wrote:

It is flat out impossible to play accurately at an incredibly high DPI like 5300. Any small motion would send your cursor flying. The slower the cursor mover, the more hand and arm movement is needed, and this means more ability to control your muscles and move with accuracy and precision. Larger motions will always be easier to handle for a human being than small motions. Just try writing in very small letters vs. very large letters. High speed of movement is nice, but the problem is that people can't easily control very fast moving things. A machine, however, might be able to be accurate at a DPI of 5300, and probably outplay a human, since it would have the advantage of a faster cursor.

The majority of professional gamers in Starcraft 2 play at DPI below 1000, but normally not below 400. I have heard that this is a trend in professional gaming in general. As I understand it the top Osu players are usually sub 1000 too.

For many people, myself included, playing with a high DPI initially feels easier than using a low DPI, because your hand is not trained to move quickly, so the long and fast movements confound your muscles, and the high DPI can make you feel like you have more control. However, as your muscles adjust better and your muscle memory starts to learn how to make precise movements you will start to feel how difficult it is to control the cursor when it moves with that little hand movement.

Lastly, using Enhanced Pointer Precision sometimes causes people to use high DPI because their small movements get converted into lower DPI reactions by the Enhanced Pointer Precision acceleration. Turn this off in windows, if you haven't already.
I agree with everything here.

Also make sure you never adjust your sensitivity. There's no way you're muscles will ever learn how to use a mouse properly if you keep reseting it's memory. Like, really, the effects of sticking to one dpi are amazing. Just think of being able to accuractely snap your cursor at any point on your screen without even having to think about it. That's what you get for sticking to the same dpi and play lots of osu! for over a year!
show more