forum

mouse dpi used by top level players?

posted
Total Posts
show more
ziin
Ugh, I need a new mouse.

When playing at 400 DPI, the mouse steadily drifts down I'm assuming because of the mouse acceleration.

I may just go back to 1600 DPI because the acceleration is negligible then.
G0r
What do you mean by acceleration here, Ziin?
-Athena-
I believe he means hardware acceleration
Read: the kind you can't turn off (eg. Steelseries Kinzu)
RaneFire

ziin wrote:

Ugh, I need a new mouse.

When playing at 400 DPI, the mouse steadily drifts down I'm assuming because of the mouse acceleration.

You also need to consider that you are used to a high DPI. By this I mean the general function of a mouse, when you draw a straight line with a mouse, your hand moves in an arc shape, not a straight line. In gameplay it's a much more complex combination of hand movements. It took quite a while to subconsciously fix the way my hand wanted to arc to the left more as I played, causing my cursor to drift to the bottom left. I tilted my mouse slightly to the right about 5 degrees, and the reverse happened, it drifted to the bottom right.
kriers

RaneFire wrote:

ziin wrote:

Ugh, I need a new mouse.

You also need to consider that you are used to a high DPI. By this I mean the general function of a mouse, when you draw a straight line with a mouse, your hand moves in an arc shape, not a straight line. In gameplay it's a much more complex combination of hand movements. It took quite a while to subconsciously fix the way my hand wanted to arc to the left more as I played, causing my cursor to go to the bottom left. I tilted my mouse slightly to the right about 5 degrees, and the reverse happened, it went to the bottom right.
I realized recently that I'm not moving as much as I did before. It's mostly thanks to balancing the use of wrist and arm in both directions. If I were to use my wrist unevenly, I'd end up hugging my kb or stretching my arm out 45 degrees.
G0r
I used to notice an odd drift with my mouse at high DPIs. Back when I was still testing different settings I was using a really high DPI (I think it was around 1300-1600), and I noticed that when I would move the mouse quickly, such as while doing a spinner, it would actually have a small drift in tracking to the left. It was very strange. I would start out with the mouse on the center of my pad, but after two or three spinners it would be just about on the edge of the pad on the left. I really couldn't explain it except that the tracking must be faulty when the DPI is set high. The movements probably just don't get picked up very well when the speed picks up. At lower DPI (800), I have not noticed this problem, however. It might just be because any drift is too small to really feel until much movement has been expended.
excellions

G0r wrote:

excellions wrote:

what makes you think that? a vast amount of players use razer abyssus or the deathadder, which are mice that can reach up to 3500 dpi.
panning around using 1920x1080 resolution with that kind of dpi is really difficult and is just not worth it

for rts games high dpi = better but for rhythm game, like osu, lower dpi = better. i prefer playing osu with 450 dpi and find it funner, while i use 1800 dpi for sc2 since its more optimal

but i agree with the rest of your post :)
While it is true that in SC2 there are players who use DPIs up to 1600, I have personally questioned top level players, and have been told that they use DPIs in the range that I described. Remember, SC2 players come from a background of SC:BW in many cases, and are used to very low resolutions with low DPI settings to get maximum precision from their movements. Also, the benefit of precise movement in an RTS game is just as important as in Osu!, which is why players like Day[9] have publicly said that they use low DPI, and have suggested using hotkeys to compensate for having slower movement speed across the higher resolution screen in SC2, because high DPI is only good for giving you better snap scrolling abilities, which is why some beginning players favor it when they are beginning to practice and get good.

Ranefire is correct, though. Low DPI in SC2 is not necessarily the same as low DPI in Osu! or a shooting game. It's all about what gives you the best control, though, and the best control comes from the lowest usable DPI without sacrificing movement capability.

Also, the DPI capability of a mouse does not really tell you what DPI the player will use. I use a Deathadder, and I use only 800 DPI, despite the ability of the mouse to reach 3500. The reason I use a Deathadder is that it has superior tracking vs. a cheap mouse with 800 DPI, and the difference is very clear to me when I compare it to such a mouse. I also originally wanted the ability to adjust my DPI to find the perfect setting for me. It just so happened to be 800.

I can't argue that 1600 DPI may be optimal for you when playing SC2, but then I don't know what level you play at, and I don't know how you play. For many pros, however, this is higher than they are willing to go. Not all, though. It's certainly within acceptable range for playing the game. Personally I would never confuse my muscle memory by switching DPI between applications. That's just my methodology.
Day9 isn't the perfect example for low DPI preference, since he was only a competitive player in BW, but of course there are many pro who have played bw+sc2 that can vouch for using low DPI.
If day9 were to be a player in SC2 it might be a different story regarding DPI preference. When a player switches to a higher resolution, he can still change to a different DPI. It doesn't take very long to adjust, though it is likely that the player would prefer staying with the settings used up until then.

I play by using mostly the minimap + hotkeys and still prefer 1800 DPI. As for the level I play at, I play at masters level(sc2ranks). One of the main reasons I can't use lower than 800 DPI is because I'd have to change my grip to use it in either game. I hold the mouse somewhat loosely and can't really do that if I have to move my whole hand around, I guess it's just a matter of preference(I've always been a high DPI user). Because of this, I sacrifice some precision, but it isn't game-breaking unless I use like 5000DPI.

Of course it's bad to switch between DPIs and would mess with muscle memory, I play one game more than the other. Though it's fun as hell to play osu with 450 dpi.
Cyclone

At the 5700 dpi
Mukku

limneosgreen wrote:

i use 1600dpi for osu, lol
Me too!!!
BeatofIke
I play 400 dpi with mouse acceleration. Works best for me. :D
Floks
That awkward moment when you realize that switching to a smaller resolution changes the aspect ratio from 16/10 to 4/3...

Then I remembered I can set my mouses x and y axis to different DPI. So now I play at 4000x and 4800y at 640x480 resolution. Loving it so far. Of course I need to remember to change it back for things other than OSU XD
Utar_old
i am confused. i read here that the most of u players play under 1000 dpi. WTF?
sorry, but i cant understand how u can aim on some hard or insane songs. i play on 7/11 on windows, 2x on osu, and 7000 dpi on my mouse D:
is smth wrong with me?? :?
Icyteru
how do you aim with that sensitivity?
Sup A Noob
And I thought I was crazy
TakuMii

Utar wrote:

i am confused. i read here that the most of u players play under 1000 dpi. WTF?
sorry, but i cant understand how u can aim on some hard or insane songs. i play on 7/11 on windows, 2x on osu, and 7000 dpi on my mouse D:
is smth wrong with me?? :?
i can't understand how you aim with those settings
if you add the windows and osu multipliers together, you're using the equivalent to 21000 dpi
what even

serious answer: having a lower DPI means circles will cover more physical area, allowing for more accuracy/less room for error.
GoldenWolf
wtf dude
I tried with 19200 dpi (3200 + osu! x4 + 7/11(assuming 7/11 means x1.5)) and it's totally impossible to aim correctly, it skips like 20 pixels with the tiniest movement I can do
How can you even play with those settings ._.
Winshley
To think that I even already had difficulties playing with 3,500dpi (my bro's Razer Abyssus) and 0.8× osu! mouse speed... <.<;;
buny
Play Count: 1,033

also having 4x sensitivity in osu settings itself would cause you to skip pixels
TakuMii

GoldenWolf wrote:

wtf dude
I tried with 19200 dpi (3200 + osu! x4 + 7/11(assuming 7/11 means x1.5)) and it's totally impossible to aim correctly, it skips like 20 pixels with the tiniest movement I can do
How can you even play with those settings ._.
software multipliers make the cursor skip pixels, your osu 4.0x is going to skip more than his 2.0x even if his mouse still moves faster.
Marcin
I'm playing with 7/11 and 3600 dpi... FOR THE WHOLE TIME (31k playcount hi)
boat
45600cpi master race

all pros should use this
zerod
I'm not pro but I play 3500DPI osux2 and setting in window 11/11
Luvdic
Problem with such using such high sensitivity is that you put too much restraints in your hand to maintain your cursor precision, and after some time it can really wear you off and increasing the odds of missing. Another problem is that patterns with low DS suddenly becomes like 10 times harder, anyways, this comes from someone who used to use 2000 dpi, osu! sensitivity of 1,8x and windows 6/11, and been using since January 900 dpi, osu! sensitivity 1,0x windows 6/11 and now my aim is steady long enough for me to fc some hard maps.
Pokarisuetto
I'm nowhere near top level, but I use an old HP 5 button web mouse http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Optical-5-Button-USB-Mouse-800dpi-White-/331032357133

even odder, i use acceleration from windows settings

I'm scared for my mouse to break, I'm gonna face a skill drop. I also click, I don't use the keyboard. I'm 13k though so meh, I'm not that bad of a player.

I also play 1680x1050 resolution
MiDNiGhT2903
Not a great player but I used 5600 dpi with 1.0x osu.
AmaiHachimitsu
I'm the best player out there and I use 400 dpi/1024x768 playfield
chanhien

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I'm the best player out there and I use 400 dpi/1024x768 playfield
All hail the best player :) :) :) !!!

Mine:
NixXSkate
I'm ok with any sens that's between 750-900dpi; 1000dpi is pushing it a little. (1024x768 windowed)
- Choko -
Mouse: Logitech G9X
Windows Sensitivty: Maxed with Acceleration/precision on
DPI:1700
Osu!:1.0x (with precision on)
Maxed Sensitivity and Acceleration in the Logitech program
shortpotato
started with 1600 dpi
then i kept going down and now im at 700
PhoenixBird
i think the question:mouse dpi used by top level players? - is not correct!

Correct is:(interrelated things)
1) resolution (1440, 1024 or another, full screen, windowed)
2) mousepad (speed mousepad or precision mousepad, plastic or cloth)
3) dpi of mouse + ( osu sens, windows sens, accel, polling rate)
4) playstyle: mouse+keyb or mouseonly: mouse+keyb style players have DPI less then for mouse only
[ HCB ]
Using high mouse dpi to play well??? don't kidding with me...
i'm maybe not a top player but i have a lot of experience with mouse.

I got a trick for all mouse players here :
1)use fullscreen with same resolution as your computer resolution (it will reduce lags for low-end pc)
2)don't use mouse with high dpi because you can't control it on spinner ( Recommending using 800dpi or below)
3)Buy a mouse that fit with well with your hand (Not too big and not too small)
4)buy a little expensive mouse pad too (really great if you want to make a great spin)
5)when grabbing mouse,move it little way diagonally to left(works great for jumps and spinnings)
6)DON'T EVEN OR EVER TENSE YOUR HAND THAT HOLDING THE MOUSE WHILE PLAYING (That's gonna make your hand really tired and moving not right in order)
7)Disable mouse precision
8)Don't even try playing on netbook (because it will make a very tiny score of spin and has much lags)

that's it... hope that was usefull.you can copy and paste this information everywhere.of course include my name there.

My mouse : A4TECH X7-F2 950dpi
My mouse pad : E-Blue Cobra Size M
My Windows Speed : 6/11
My osu speed! : x1.05
My Resolution : 1024x640 (Fullscreen.I'm a netbook user :o I hope i get a new laptop sooner)
My playstyle : Mouse and keyboard
buny

harizcoolboy wrote:

1)use fullscreen with same resolution as your computer resolution (it will reduce lags for low-end pc)
2)don't use mouse with high dpi because you can't control it on spinner ( Recommending using 800dpi or below)
4)buy a little expensive mouse pad too (really great if you want to make a great spin)
5)when grabbing mouse,move it little way diagonally to left(works great for jumps and spinnings)
6)DON'T EVEN OR EVER TENSE YOUR HAND THAT HOLDING THE MOUSE WHILE PLAYING (That's gonna make your hand really tired and moving not right in order)
8)Don't even try playing on netbook (because it will make a very tiny score of spin and has much lags)

that's it... hope that was usefull.you can copy and paste this information everywhere.of course include my name there.

My Resolution : 1024x640 (Fullscreen.I'm a netbook user :o I hope i get a new laptop sooner)
No wonder you aren't a top player.
Penguin

buny wrote:

harizcoolboy wrote:

No wonder you aren't a top player.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read this lol
B1rd
I use 2000dpi on a Razer Deathadder, Windows 6/11 and Osu! 1.0x. I actually increased the sensitivity a while ago because it was it was awkward moving the mouse so much when I like to have my wrist planted on the mousepad.

I don't really think any sensitivity is worse than any others, it's just about preference; how you hold the mouse/what muscles you use.

I've tested out using 4000dpi even, it wasn't that hard, just had to use fine finger movements instead of large wrist movements.
GoldenWolf

B1rd wrote:

I don't really think any sensitivity is worse than any others, it's just about preference; how you hold the mouse/what muscles you use.

I've tested out using 4000dpi even, it wasn't that hard, just had to use fine finger movements instead of large wrist movements.
Play Count: 234

It's your opinion and I respect it, but try to play more (and more difficult maps, up to insanes) to see if this is still true.
Volcanism
I wouldn't really consider myself a 'top' player but here's my input anyway.

I've been using a mouse since I started and I have gone from 2000 dpi to 1000.
If my mouse didn't have odd dpi steps, I'd probably be playing on 800 or so dpi.
I know I can change my sensitivity on osu, but I prefer that my sensitivity is the same for all of the things I use my mouse for.

Also, it's quite odd but I used 2000 dpi at 1440x900 and now I use 1000 dpi at 1920x1080 fullscreen.

From what I can gather, a lower dpi is better generally as it allows for muscle memory to develop (without mouse accel. of course).
aBunny
what does this even mean
Breiz

sarasseo wrote:

what does this even mean
I think he means this

hold your mouse like the left line.. am I good at paint?
TakuMii

Breiz wrote:

I think he means this

hold your mouse like the left line.. am I good at paint?
i can tell you're not using 6/11
show more