forum

is it good or bad to play 5 stars with only 4 months of osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kishuya
pretty much what the title states, I joined OSU around 4 months ago and now I can do 4.5* - 5.5* maps (sometimes failing a 5.5*) but I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing; I know everyone progresses at their own rate but I just want to make sure I'm able to compete. The only reason I'm asking this is as even though I can do 5.5*'s etc my accuracy is terrible and my aim is shakey; my speed and stamina have gotten better but I still struggle a lot; even when trying to get 0 misses on a 4 star with dt,hd I choke, slider break etc. The way my aim is and the way my jumps are is really weird to me, for example; I did remote control [Max Control] when I was still a progressing 4* player like 20 days ago what would have been my second 5* even with terrible acc; after that score, I managed to beat it 3 times while still being a 4* player but always failing at the end jumps; When I started off as a 5* player I could easily hit most of the jumps even if it was with terrible acc, but then recently I can't seem to hit the jumps at the right time, I seem to be aiming correctly with my shakey aim, but clicking to fast... even when I try to follow the rythem of the song I cant seem to not fail. Have I rushed the game to fast? am I slower than most? this is the time period I've spent on each star before moving up 1* - under a week 2* - 4ish weeks 3* - 5 weeks 4* - 3 weeks 5* - still progressing.

Any advice is appreciated (mainly focusing towards aim, accuracy and consistency)
repr1se

KuroTX wrote:

pretty much what the title states, I joined OSU around 4 months ago and now I can do 4.5* - 5.5* maps (sometimes failing a 5.5*) but I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing;
we'll see

I know everyone progresses at their own rate but I just want to make sure I'm able to compete. The only reason I'm asking this is as even though I can do 5.5*'s etc my accuracy is terrible and my aim is shakey;
not good
my speed and stamina have gotten better but I still struggle a lot; even when trying to get 0 misses on a 4 star with dt,hd I choke, slider break etc.
see my FAQ about mods
what you're doing is encouraging bad habits, bad acc and shaky aim means that you aren't able to read the map and/or your hands can't keep up with the map
The way my aim is and the way my jumps are is really weird to me, for example; I did remote control [Max Control] when I was still a progressing 4* player like 20 days ago what would have been my second 5* even with terrible acc; after that score, I managed to beat it 3 times while still being a 4* player but always failing at the end jumps; When I started off as a 5* player I could easily hit most of the jumps even if it was with terrible acc, but then recently I can't seem to hit the jumps at the right time, I seem to be aiming correctly with my shakey aim, but clicking to fast... even when I try to follow the rythem of the song I cant seem to not fail.
this is more evidence of what i wrote above
Have I rushed the game to fast? am I slower than most? this is the time period I've spent on each star before moving up 1* - under a week 2* - 4ish weeks 3* - 5 weeks 4* - 3 weeks 5* - still progressing.

Any advice is appreciated (mainly focusing towards aim, accuracy and consistency)
see my FAQ on consistency (signature)
everyone progresses at their own rate. HOWEVER, progressing too quickly encourages bad habits like button mashing, cursor flicking, shaky aim, etc. in this case, yeah i'd say you're pushing too quickly. slow it down -- since you're a new player you should really be working on your mechanical foundation for the game.

suggestion: stay on 4.5*-5* nomod and focus on reading the maps
Topic Starter
Kishuya

repr1se wrote:

KuroTX wrote:

pretty much what the title states, I joined OSU around 4 months ago and now I can do 4.5* - 5.5* maps (sometimes failing a 5.5*) but I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing;
we'll see

I know everyone progresses at their own rate but I just want to make sure I'm able to compete. The only reason I'm asking this is as even though I can do 5.5*'s etc my accuracy is terrible and my aim is shakey;
not good
my speed and stamina have gotten better but I still struggle a lot; even when trying to get 0 misses on a 4 star with dt,hd I choke, slider break etc.
see my FAQ about mods
what you're doing is encouraging bad habits, bad acc and shaky aim means that you aren't able to read the map and/or your hands can't keep up with the map
The way my aim is and the way my jumps are is really weird to me, for example; I did remote control [Max Control] when I was still a progressing 4* player like 20 days ago what would have been my second 5* even with terrible acc; after that score, I managed to beat it 3 times while still being a 4* player but always failing at the end jumps; When I started off as a 5* player I could easily hit most of the jumps even if it was with terrible acc, but then recently I can't seem to hit the jumps at the right time, I seem to be aiming correctly with my shakey aim, but clicking to fast... even when I try to follow the rythem of the song I cant seem to not fail.
this is more evidence of what i wrote above
Have I rushed the game to fast? am I slower than most? this is the time period I've spent on each star before moving up 1* - under a week 2* - 4ish weeks 3* - 5 weeks 4* - 3 weeks 5* - still progressing.

see my FAQ on consistency (signature)
everyone progresses at their own rate. HOWEVER, progressing too quickly encourages bad habits like button mashing, cursor flicking, shaky aim, etc. in this case, yeah i'd say you're pushing too quickly. slow it down -- since you're a new player you should really be working on your mechanical foundation for the game.

suggestion: stay on 4.5*-5* nomod and focus on reading the maps
Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll take your advice and stick to 4.5 - 5*. When it comes to the shakey aim, its not that I find it hard to read the map (depending on what map) I can easily read maps like image material, remote control, snow drive etc but when I come to a slider my aim just seems really shakey, maybe my pen grip. I think when it came down to training stamina, I developed bad habbits as I'd play maps like red like roses, image material, galaxy collapse and other 7*s
pandaBee
Passing Maps != Playing maps well/decently
N0thingSpecial
Passing maps is not necessarily bad, but do practice your accuracy and rhythm sense. Also don’t focus on star rating, there are tons of other patterns that make a map difficult other than consecutive jumps with big spacing.
repr1se

KuroTX wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll take your advice and stick to 4.5 - 5*. When it comes to the shakey aim, its not that I find it hard to read the map (depending on what map) I can easily read maps like image material, remote control, snow drive etc but when I come to a slider my aim just seems really shakey, maybe my pen grip. I think when it came down to training stamina, I developed bad habbits as I'd play maps like red like roses, image material, galaxy collapse and other 7*s
there's a difference between reading a map, and simply reacting to a circle on the screen. if you really can read the map, good for you
Celine
Star rating xD
ManuelOsuPlayer
You're skipping all the AR7-AR8 3* maps.
If you skip them because they are not hard enough for you, you should search better.
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/71467?m=0
There are 2* maps what you can't even get a B score.
This kinda maps what i'm talking about are the ones where you learn to do well the most basic things. For example listen the music to acc, singletap properly, reading or streaming.
You should play everything from 1* to what you find usefull. Playing only 4'5 * to 5* makes no sense.
Kondou-Shinichi

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

You're skipping all the AR7-AR8 3* maps.
If you skip them because they are not hard enough for you, you should search better.
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/71467?m=0
There are 2* maps what you can't even get a B score.
This kinda maps what i'm talking about are the ones where you learn to do well the most basic things. For example listen the music to acc, singletap properly, reading or streaming.
You should play everything from 1* to what you find usefull. Playing only 4'5 * to 5* makes no sense.
maybe you shouldnt give a 2010 2* map......
Antiforte
I know repr1se already gave a detailed answer but I'll provide my opinion anyway~

KuroTX wrote:

...I joined OSU around 4 months ago and now I can do 4.5* - 5.5* maps (sometimes failing a 5.5*) but I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing; I know everyone progresses at their own rate but I just want to make sure I'm able to compete.
Different improvement rates should make it obvious that playtime isn't something to worry about. If you are worried of competition, the best way to go about it is to not worry so much and focus on "slowly but surely" improving. Don't chase success, acquire excellence and let success come to you; mindset is key here. Besides, you have like several years to git gud, take your time.

KuroTX wrote:

...even though I can do 5.5*'s etc my accuracy is terrible and my aim is shakey; my speed and stamina have gotten better but I still struggle a lot; even when trying to get 0 misses on a 4 star with dt,hd I choke, slider break etc.

If you want to improve cleanly, don't rush it! Find what you can FC comfortably then practice maps slightly beyond that. Your goal is to improve, right? Don't step forward onto things like 5* and beyond, if you're not even sure that you will improve from doing so- it's pretty straightforward.

KuroTX wrote:

...I can easily read maps like image material, remote control, snow drive etc...
Noticing circles is different from reading: this is a mistake many players make. Reading skill is something closer to a novice sniper "guessing" a shot versus a skilled one understanding the factors quickly then taking aim accordingly. There are people who say they can read (probably from watching replays), but cannot even properly understand 5* patterns or anything below AR8 on the spot! If everyone indeed had epic reading, it would probably take only 1 month of osu! to learn 7* relax FCs but that is clearly not the case.

Many of the things you say indicates a sign of insufficient reading skill. Only way to fix that is, again, to backtrack and improve on more steady ground. As a tip, if you can FC a pattern consistently with good accuracy (as in, 99% good), then you should be fine with moving onto harder stuff at last.

I apologize if I come off as rude, I just want to make myself very clear and not misunderstood! Clean improvement takes a clear mindset, as I've said. Many people get too obsessed with improvement for the wrong reasons, and it results in many of the frustrated players with skewered skill sets we see today. Good luck with osu! and pls enjoy game!
DXPOHIHIHI
Doesn't matter, after 3 months I could already do 5 star maps, you need to push yourself mate.
ManuelOsuPlayer

szkiller wrote:

Doesn't matter, after 3 months I could already do 5 star maps, you need to push yourself mate.
You can't. Read up to you.
Topic Starter
Kishuya
Thanks for the advice guys, My accuracy is getting better and my aim isn't even noticeable shakey (adjusted my pen grip)
kllyzrt
No problem i played since 5 years ago and still stuck in 4-5 star lol important thing is you enjoy the game xd
Simon12

the_Skeletonsx wrote:

No problem i played since 5 years ago and still stuck in 4-5 star lol important thing is you enjoy the game xd
MeteorRushes
Guys is it normal that i can play 5 star maps when i only started playing 4 weeks ago
WitherMite
sure, but you should know that passing =/= being able to play

also make another thread next time instead of reviving an old one.
Topic Starter
Kishuya
Damn this got revived.

P.S: It's not bad, but it depends how much skill you've developed within those 4 months of playing; during this time period I rushed over a lot of basics, and whilst this thread helped me I continued to till about rank 50k; it took me quite awhile to fix most my stuff and nowadays I still struggle with some basic patterns (tho now I'm completely mind blocked most the time)

If you're able to get consistently good scores on 4*s, don't be afraid to push to 5*s, but skip too far ahead without cementing basic skills will only get you screwed, even if you reach like rank 200 later on.