forum

Hardrock Problems that i don't have with normal ar10 maps.

posted
Total Posts
show more
7ambda
Increased CS; higher OD

What do you expect?
E m i
probably expects to encounter problems related to that.

This happens to me, not on ar10 anymore but on 10.3 definitely, streams that would otherwise be easy start with me doubletapping weirdly for a bit, and then it's already too late. Can't prepare well enough.

But overall to stop having problems with streams on high AR you should play streams on high AR 8-)

Instant improvements include:
1. Going from 60hz to 144hz decreases the apparent AR by 0.0324074074 assuming identical non-refresh rate portion of input lag
2. Higher gamma makes circles contrast more, be more visible, and appear a tiny bit earlier
3. Pixel overdrive makes pixels change their color from black to [insert circle color] faster 8-)

well you might only need the gamma -_- that was my problem with HR, small circles just weren't as noticeable as cs4 ar10
N0thingSpecial
Coming from a guy who still uses a laptop with 60hz screen and have no idea what momji is talking about.

Develop enough muscle memory for your aim to focus on your tapping, never completely rely on your reaction and more on rhythm sense and anticipation.
Celine
Expect them, then
About the OD10 and higher CS, well, play more
I play with 30hz, rythm sense and anticipation can make up for your shitty reflex
E m i

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Coming from a guy who still uses a laptop with 60hz screen and have no idea what momji is talking about.
ar10 will look like ar9.9675925926
average refresh-related delay on 60hz: 8.33333ms
average refresh-related delay on 144hz: 3.47222ms
N0thingSpecial
What about the gamma thing? Is it hardware related of software related?
E m i
it's mind related as brighter/more contrasting objects will be noticed faster
Topic Starter
eZorikku
I've already concidered buying a 144hz.
But i can try the Gamma thing.
Otherwise i think i have to predict the streams.
Ty for your answers.
Topic Starter
eZorikku
I tried hearing / predicting them for hours now.
I'm just not able to.
ManuelOsuPlayer
You don't have to hear them wtf. Just keep attention to the rhythm and follow it without stop reading. If isn't natural, you need better reading or muscle memory to carry you.
B1rd
I'd recommend buying a 144hz monitor. I won't promise that it will make you play better by any significant margin, however, it makes everything you do on yo PC look better, smoother and more realistic.

By the way, don't play HR at 3000PP. There is no reason to.
N0thingSpecial
Anticipate not predict, just be ready for stream and triples
E m i
Or use the supremely secret hold-down alternate strategy even though it's probably counterproductive to do it on AR below ~10.66 because even though it can remain in permanent use above that, below that you can just become able to read the AR. :?

I'm talking about holding the keys down each time in a way that treats everything pretty much like a slider, this way even if you made a reading mistake/incorrect assumption/whatever, there is no possible mistake to make - you sort it out after the object already happens.

Even on streams you can't catch yourself releasing a key immediately like the map keeps being a series of singletaps (which obviously is not the case) - you can just transition into the stream normally as there was no mistake that could result from "I didn't read/recognize the pattern yet"

that's how i get tons of ar10.87-11 FCs first try - the differentiation between sliders/circles/streams/triples can happen AFTER the object, there is no possible mistake if you aren't able to do it in time.
Topic Starter
eZorikku

B1rd wrote:

By the way, don't play HR at 3000PP. There is no reason to.
then when is a good time to start?
Topic Starter
eZorikku

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I just don't / can't anticipate them . For me a singletap would also fit, and i don't hear when i should stream.
It's really weird , this is only on hr. I have no problems with sstreaming normal AR10 maps .
ManuelOsuPlayer

eZorikku wrote:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I just don't / can't anticipate them . For me a singletap would also fit, and i don't hear when i should stream.
It's really weird , this is only on hr. I have no problems with sstreaming normal AR10 maps .
You don't have to hear the streams. Because you're supposed to tap at exactly same time the beat sound. It's like you're playing a piano and you try to hit the keys by listening the notes. If you don't hit the piano key, you're not going to hear the sound.
To make you understand: When you listen music, you can move your head up and down to the rhythm. If you pause the music at any moment while you are moving your head to the rhythm, you can keep the rhythm in your head and keep moving it up and down to the rhythm even without listen the music anymore.

Think about each head movement like a key press. You don't have to listen each music beat, you have to know when each beat could happens, keeping making sense to the general rhythm. So you down the finger to press the key even before you see the circle. If the distance from circles go also to the rhythm you can even know where is going to spawn the next circle and at what timming with mapping knowledge, rhythm timming and flow.

One example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/375648
What you hear here. Before even play the map. The mapper could be following 2 rhythms or the both at same time. Listening the music preview you can hear only 2 things. Melody or Bass. The circles are going to be placed at the bass rhythm, or the melody because there is only those 2 things making the music.

At this video you can see the bass each time the road up. https://youtu.be/yVZOr7j4WEk The bass is the same rhythm all the song. At 1:14 you can listen a "stream" when the bass sound a lot of times in a short time, instead keep the same timming the bass was having, during all the song. At 1:08 when the voice of the singing start to repeat and the bass stop, it's telling you the song it's going to "break". Then the bass come back at 1:11 and after, repeat.
Each cicle of "rhythm" take 3 seconds. First 3 seconds voice repeat and bass stop. After 3 seconds the bass come back being more "strong". After those 3 seconds came a stream. This is really easy to expect. At tons of electronic songs the stream came just before the music break. https://youtu.be/6ka03cJAc_0 The stream usually follow a % of the actual bpm being 50%, 33%... This means If you're tapping 2 keys each second, the stream could be 4 keys in 2 seconds, 6 keys in 2 seconds, 8 keys each 2 seconds...

This isn't something what you have to learn and think about while playing. Your muscles will understand the rhythm for you if you go to the rhythm and learn playing. What it's in your hand to do while playing It's to understand the rhythm you're following, so you can know how the rhythm is going to be by listening how the song is, was, and probably could be.
Once you get used to this and with songs and map knowledge you can actually expect each beat just before you're going to hear it. This make you need way way less reaction time to play high AR. Because your tapping almost know when to hit, and your aim is coordinated to your tap. So you are doing the things in less time just by following the rhythm. When you do this, you actually read the circles way more confortable.

There is no need to explain to you this to play HR. But then you can understand the best way to follow rhythm it's edit maps to OD10 since follow the rhythm well it's the best way to learn to follow the rhythm. And play ar7-8 where follow rhythm make this maps way easier than just reading the circles without care about rhythm, when you're used to AR9, read low are become hardest, so it's a good place to start playing to the music instead circles spawn timming, or ar circles reading.

Also practice high AR without music and hitsounds and ignoring keyboard sounds improve your reaction time reading circles. Then put rhythm and reading together and you get to the point to play high ar well enought to be usefull spam it to start learning it without fuck your reading at all and being usefull to improve skills like aim.

Last thing to explain it's about you being able to play AR10 at 7* maps but not able to perform at same level at a 5* HR.
Usually AR10 6*-8* unranked maps have small CS(big circles) smaller distance between jumps and low OD. (bigger time to tap out of beat). This make you don't need to aim accuratelly, what also mean even missreading a circle or just not reading it it's easy to hit the circle by followong the map flow. Also when not missing it's easier to keep the rhythm listening hitsounds, get a moral boost, and focus more on try to keep the combo.
Meanwhile at HR you will need to read really well to don't miss at small circles. Also easier to lose the focus on rhythm, and use it instead to aim or what ever. In general, the skills, practice and focus needed to read even a 4* HR can be way higher than play a 7* AR10 where you only need speed and pay attention to where the circles are to fly with cursor over them, instead follow the rhythm having accurately aim.
That also explain why a lot of DT players have problem playing HR. You need different skills to play them. Even sharing the most important of them.

In summary: Edit maps to OD10. Play low AR. Play Small circles. Improve reading at high AR. Play different maps to get used to diferrent rhythms. Practice those skills together at HR.
Also pay attention to rhythm and music while playing nomod or you're going to lose lot of time to don't get all what you can from it.
Other important thing it's practice at streams to get a consistent finger movement and finger control. Play streams make you improve in general due to the amount of circles what you have to read in short time, the control you need at fingers, the timming you need to get into each stream, stamina, etc. Everything usefull to play any map.
N0thingSpecial
In case you’re too lazy to read it basically said what I said, just swap out aim with tapping
Topic Starter
eZorikku

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

You don't have to hear the streams. Because you're supposed to tap at exactly same time the beat sound. It's like you're playing a piano and you try to hit the keys by listening the notes. If you don't hit the piano key, you're not going to hear the sound.
To make you understand: When you listen music, you can move your head up and down to the rhythm. If you pause the music at any moment while you are moving your head to the rhythm, you can keep the rhythm in your head and keep moving it up and down to the rhythm even without listen the music anymore.

Think about each head movement like a key press. You don't have to listen each music beat, you have to know when each beat could happens, keeping making sense to the general rhythm. So you down the finger to press the key even before you see the circle. If the distance from circles go also to the rhythm you can even know where is going to spawn the next circle and at what timming with mapping knowledge, rhythm timming and flow.

One example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/375648
What you hear here. Before even play the map. The mapper could be following 2 rhythms or the both at same time. Listening the music preview you can hear only 2 things. Melody or Bass. The circles are going to be placed at the bass rhythm, or the melody because there is only those 2 things making the music.

At this video you can see the bass each time the road up. https://youtu.be/yVZOr7j4WEk The bass is the same rhythm all the song. At 1:14 you can listen a "stream" when the bass sound a lot of times in a short time, instead keep the same timming the bass was having, during all the song. At 1:08 when the voice of the singing start to repeat and the bass stop, it's telling you the song it's going to "break". Then the bass come back at 1:11 and after, repeat.
Each cicle of "rhythm" take 3 seconds. First 3 seconds voice repeat and bass stop. After 3 seconds the bass come back being more "strong". After those 3 seconds came a stream. This is really easy to expect. At tons of electronic songs the stream came just before the music break. https://youtu.be/6ka03cJAc_0 The stream usually follow a % of the actual bpm being 50%, 33%... This means If you're tapping 2 keys each second, the stream could be 4 keys in 2 seconds, 6 keys in 2 seconds, 8 keys each 2 seconds...

This isn't something what you have to learn and think about while playing. Your muscles will understand the rhythm for you if you go to the rhythm and learn playing. What it's in your hand to do while playing It's to understand the rhythm you're following, so you can know how the rhythm is going to be by listening how the song is, was, and probably could be.
Once you get used to this and with songs and map knowledge you can actually expect each beat just before you're going to hear it. This make you need way way less reaction time to play high AR. Because your tapping almost know when to hit, and your aim is coordinated to your tap. So you are doing the things in less time just by following the rhythm. When you do this, you actually read the circles way more confortable.

There is no need to explain to you this to play HR. But then you can understand the best way to follow rhythm it's edit maps to OD10 since follow the rhythm well it's the best way to learn to follow the rhythm. And play ar7-8 where follow rhythm make this maps way easier than just reading the circles without care about rhythm, when you're used to AR9, read low are become hardest, so it's a good place to start playing to the music instead circles spawn timming, or ar circles reading.

Also practice high AR without music and hitsounds and ignoring keyboard sounds improve your reaction time reading circles. Then put rhythm and reading together and you get to the point to play high ar well enought to be usefull spam it to start learning it without fuck your reading at all and being usefull to improve skills like aim.

Last thing to explain it's about you being able to play AR10 at 7* maps but not able to perform at same level at a 5* HR.
Usually AR10 6*-8* unranked maps have small CS(big circles) smaller distance between jumps and low OD. (bigger time to tap out of beat). This make you don't need to aim accuratelly, what also mean even missreading a circle or just not reading it it's easy to hit the circle by followong the map flow. Also when not missing it's easier to keep the rhythm listening hitsounds, get a moral boost, and focus more on try to keep the combo.
Meanwhile at HR you will need to read really well to don't miss at small circles. Also easier to lose the focus on rhythm, and use it instead to aim or what ever. In general, the skills, practice and focus needed to read even a 4* HR can be way higher than play a 7* AR10 where you only need speed and pay attention to where the circles are to fly with cursor over them, instead follow the rhythm having accurately aim.
That also explain why a lot of DT players have problem playing HR. You need different skills to play them. Even sharing the most important of them.

In summary: Edit maps to OD10. Play low AR. Play Small circles. Improve reading at high AR. Play different maps to get used to diferrent rhythms. Practice those skills together at HR.
Also pay attention to rhythm and music while playing nomod or you're going to lose lot of time to don't get all what you can from it.
Other important thing it's practice at streams to get a consistent finger movement and finger control. Play streams make you improve in general due to the amount of circles what you have to read in short time, the control you need at fingers, the timming you need to get into each stream, stamina, etc. Everything usefull to play any map.
This is some good advice , not something like plain "play more"
Thank You Very Much :) .
N0thingSpecial

eZorikku wrote:

not something like plain "play more"
Just want to point out please do not follow his advice on turning off music and hit sounds, you can completely by pass the AR barrier when you develop enough muscle memory for your aim and tapping through cough “playing more”, at that point your muscle memory should be enough to compensate for your lack of reaction time which is perfect for hitting circles on time.

I would honestly tell you to wait til you’re at 5k pp to fully invest in HR cause by that point you should’ve played enough maps to know majority of the pattern every map has to offer, in order to anticipate them. I started HR when I was 5800 pp, it came so naturally for being a relatively balanced player, before I knew it I was shitting out HR scores left and right, even better than my friends who was dedicated to HR much early on.

But if you want to do it the hard way suit yourself
Topic Starter
eZorikku

N0thingSpecial wrote:

eZorikku wrote:

Just want to point out please do not follow his advice on turning off music and hit sounds, you can completely by pass the AR barrier when you develop enough muscle memory for your aim and tapping through cough “playing more”, at that point your muscle memory should be enough to compensate for your lack of reaction time which is perfect for hitting circles on time.

I would honestly tell you to wait til you’re at 5k pp to fully invest in HR cause by that point you should’ve played enough maps to know majority of the pattern every map has to offer, in order to anticipate them. I started HR when I was 5800 pp, it came so naturally for being a relatively balanced player, before I knew it I was shitting out HR scores left and right, even better than my friends who was dedicated to HR much early on.

But if you want to do it the hard way suit yourself
My problem mainly is recognizing patterns that are mapped as streams ,but i think its meant to be singletapped.

That's because i only played TV-Sized maps, because i have no good other maps except a few camellia songs--> no good rhythm sense.
What's the best way to find good non-TV-Sized maps?

Edit: I think its better to stop playing hr and get the fundamentals.
Yolshka

N0thingSpecial wrote:

eZorikku wrote:

you can completely by pass the AR barrier when you develop enough muscle memory for your aim and tapping through cough “playing more”, at that point your muscle memory should be enough to compensate for your lack of reaction time which is perfect for hitting circles on time.
I'd argue with that.
At least from my experience, ar10 makes maps absolutely untolerable, and by lowering it by a few decimals the incrase in performance is significant.
I did give HR a go recently , and while i was able to recognize patterns, i hit everything late.
Seriously, i played thorugh a whole map staying entirely on the right side of the hit meter.
That was kind of frustrating tbh, so I dropped hr.

While it is true that you need muscle memory, that's not exclusive to HR, it's more general, as in I'd say you should be able to accuretaly hit a pattern given sufficent muscle memory regardless of ar, provided that you can react to that specific ar.

But I'm not so sure that it is possible to bypass anything, or even compensate.
So yeah I'm at excatly 5k pp and looking at hr, but I'll think I'll wait till forever really,cause right now ar10 is anything but fun.
If anything, i'd hope that what youre saying is correct.

edit: also, mutual me plz ty
ManuelOsuPlayer
I find 10.3 way more fun and easier than play HR. More worth too.
Topic Starter
eZorikku
Ive been testing out many things lately. But there's one problem. I set hitsounds to 0 and let auto play. And suddenly there were streams with no sounds "portraying" them. So how am i supposed to stream something when i can't read it (high AR) or hear it (no stream sound).
ManuelOsuPlayer

eZorikku wrote:

Ive been testing out many things lately. But there's one problem. I set hitsounds to 0 and let auto play. And suddenly there were streams with no sounds "portraying" them. So how am i supposed to stream something when i can't read it (high AR) or hear it (no stream sound).
If there is no stream music related (really weird, check at mapping editor, deleting streams circles and listen music at 25% speed *you have that option at right down corner. 25% 50% 75% 100%*) then you're forced to read, or complete the rhythm (being aware from the overall song rhythm using hitsounds/music rhythm and timming).
You should use hitsounds. Maybe a hitsounds change from your skin, help you to be more aware of them. The ones what you more like to hear. And If they are short and loud, better.
You should not overthink. There isn't 2000000 secrets to play this game. Search a way to read confortable, play mostly maps what you can read, and tap to the rhythm.
N0thingSpecial

eZorikku wrote:

mo sounds "portraying" them.
1) it’s there but you probably can’t hear it clearly
2) mapper was mapping with movement concept in mind, especially in the DnB genre
3) the map is is not ranked

You probably subconsciously hit some of those already in the past, so probably nothing to worry about
Celine
XD wall of texts that don't mean shit

Just play both on all kind of map
Topic Starter
eZorikku

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

eZorikku wrote:

If there is no stream music related (really weird, check at mapping editor, deleting streams circles and listen music at 25% speed *you have that option at right down corner. 25% 50% 75% 100%*) then you're forced to read, or complete the rhythm (being aware from the overall song rhythm using hitsounds/music rhythm and timming).
You should use hitsounds. Maybe a hitsounds change from your skin, help you to be more aware of them. The ones what you more like to hear. And If they are short and loud, better.
You should not overthink. There isn't 2000000 secrets to play this game. Search a way to read confortable, play mostly maps what you can read, and tap to the rhythm.
Then I'll never be able to play AR10 mapss. Sad but i guess i have to live with that,
N0thingSpecial

-bws wrote:

XD wall of texts that don't mean shit
And that too
Vuelo Eluko

eZorikku wrote:

So i want to get into Hardrock.I play it alot , but i don't spam it 24/7 so i don't lose my ar 8/9 reading.
interestingly i've found this doesn't actually happen once you've really mastered them
might also help that i made this one of my definitive warm up maps tho
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/11250
Topic Starter
eZorikku

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

eZorikku wrote:

So i want to get into Hardrock.I play it alot , but i don't spam it 24/7 so i don't lose my ar 8/9 reading.
interestingly i've found this doesn't actually happen once you've really mastered them
might also help that i made this one of my definitive warm up maps tho
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/11250
You don't read QR8 actually. You "rhythm-sense" it. (My Experience)
Vuelo Eluko
that is reading, though. if it's different for you at higher ar's you're reacting to them
E m i
well i used to play a ton of low ar in 2015, then quit in 2016, then in 2017 i pretty much stopped playing low ar and mostly only played ar10+.

And I can say i didn't lose any reading from it but whenever i play even something like AR9 now, i aim right next to the circles like i misread their location lol.

even the cs2 from ez mod barely helps. ar10 is so much easier to aim it's not even funny
Topic Starter
eZorikku
I honestly am going insane, im trying to read higher than ar9.7 for 3-4 months now . But i just am not able to :c
N0thingSpecial

eZorikku wrote:

I honestly am going insane, im trying to read higher than ar9.7 for 3-4 months now . But i just am not able to :c
Try 18 months and you have me, play more
ManuelOsuPlayer

eZorikku wrote:

You can play using only rhythm sense and get good scores and you can skip a lot of circles and don't miss them consistenly. But you can also read them all to force the fullcombo. Same to play higher AR. You need good acc do.
Celine
acc for wat just mash and get combo xDDDdD
abraker

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

eZorikku wrote:

You can play using only rhythm sense and get good scores and you can skip a lot of circles and don't miss them consistenly. But you can also read them all to force the fullcombo. Same to play higher AR. You need good acc do.
someone needs to do a hard reset on this guy. I don't think this neural processing unit is operating correctly.
N0thingSpecial

abraker wrote:

someone needs to do a hard reset on this guy. I don't think this neural processing unit is operating correctly.
It’s not worth the time nor the effort, we’ve been basically doing damage control on this guy
ManuelOsuPlayer

abraker wrote:

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Why would EDVAC considers itself superior than TaihuLight's CU?
B0yz I'm zm4rt, m0re th4n thus dude. L3t me m4ke fun about wh4t I'm n0t underst4nding using h4rdware and bi0l0gy refer3nces bec4uce I f3el m0r3 sm4rt.

Signature: 4br4k3r y0ur h4x0r fri3nd1y.
CU
abraker

N0thingSpecial wrote:

abraker wrote:

It’s not worth the time nor the effort, we’ve been basically doing damage control on this guy
After the previous post, I know see your point. I hope his mom has a warranty on him.
show more