forum

Use muscle memory or don't?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer
If i use it to play for me i will improve at same rate or should i keep forcing movement to exactly where i want to improve it?
Endaris
You can not not use muscle memory.
If your muscle memory fails you on a pattern, try to dig into it and improve your muscle memory. There's no advance without trying (example: me).
pandaBee

Endaris wrote:

You can not not use muscle memory.
If your muscle memory fails you on a pattern, try to dig into it and improve your muscle memory. There's no advance without trying (example: me).
Osu is like 66% muscle memory though
E m i
XD

You have disabled muscle memory.
You have enabled muscle memory.
Muscle memory updating frequency has been set to 65536hz.
Muscle memory overclock unsuccessful. Do you want to reset to default settings?

Muscle memory error detected! Copying between 53ce1e and 53ccd0 did not result in accurate copy.

MuscleMemTest has detected that your brain cannot accurately store date in RAMM.
You need to fix this.

See the online FAQ, question #2 (http://HciDesign.com/mmemtest) for advice on what to do next.

if you have problems with stability i recommend raising Memorice Access Strobe by 1, it has been found to be less stable than other timings. Also setting Memorice Rate to 2 will help with signal integrity and probably let you reach like 5% higher muscle memory clock while keeping all other timings the same.
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer

Momiji wrote:

XD

You have disabled muscle memory.
You have enabled muscle memory.
Muscle memory updating frequency has been set to 65536hz.
Muscle memory overclock unsuccessful. Do you want to reset to default settings?

Muscle memory error detected! Copying between 53ce1e and 53ccd0 did not result in accurate copy.

MuscleMemTest has detected that your brain cannot accurately store date in RAMM.
You need to fix this.

See the online FAQ, question #2 (http://HciDesign.com/mmemtest) for advice on what to do next.

if you have problems with stability i recommend raising Memorice Access Strobe by 1, it has been found to be less stable than other timings. Also setting Memorice Rate to 2 will help with signal integrity and probably let you reach like 5% higher muscle memory clock while keeping all other timings the same.
//thememes.cpp
int main()
{
std::cout << "Are you trying to say something or just joking around?" << std::endl;
string ?;
getline (cin, ?);
return 0;
}

# yum groupinstall 'Development Tools'
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential manpages-dev
g++ -o thememes.cpp
./thememes

linux rescue
parted /dev/hda
rm 1
quit
exit
Faye
Muscle memory is always used subconsciously for techniques and execution of mechanics like stacks and streams.
The rest is reading
Don't develop map specific muscle memory - you can avoid this by playing a variety of maps.
Do develop general muscle memory as it is LITERALY what serves as improvement in terms of physical capabilities.
E m i
Bla bla bla, just download RAMMDisk and dedicate a portion of your RAMM to the RAMMDisk. Afterwards place the map you want to FC on the RAMMdisk, and ez muscle memory.
Random Access Muscle Memory.
winber1
sudo apt-get install 24pp
N0thingSpecial
No. You need to completely forget how you move your hands and fingers and re-study every single pattern in every map
Vuelo Eluko
I seem to have misplaced my pp
has anyone seen it
pandaBee

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

I seem to have misplaced my pp
has anyone seen it
I've got a rocket in my pocket.
Endaris

Faye wrote:

Muscle memory is always used subconsciously for techniques and execution of mechanics like stacks and streams.
The rest is reading
Don't develop map specific muscle memory - you can avoid this by playing a variety of maps.
I ensure you that it is not just reading. There is a big difference between reading and execution. Identifying what is going on and how it is supposed to be played immediately on sight does not enable you to play a pattern at all.
Playing specific maps over and over can be very valuable as many patterns aren't sufficiently practiced due to their less frequent occurence in maps (say any kind of doubles, quads in compound timing), leaving you completely unable to perform them even if you know how they are supposed to perform.
Muscle memory has to be trained and some things have to be trained specifically.
fate7nano
MM is pretty good to develop, try to focus in on patterns that you want to perfect. But as others have said, there is a balance here.

- Hockey players have a general rule 80/20, find what you are good at, practice that 80% of the time, find what you need to improve, practice that 20% of the time.
- Playing a lot of one map will improve your MM for that particular set of patterns.
- Ideally, you find other maps like the one you have been practicing, but a little bit harder (also, quite difficult to quantify seeing as there are many params to consider).
- Playing a variety of maps will improve your overall ability to read-in patterns (subjective).
- Memory techniques usually also rely on being well rested, always keep that in mind, if you notice after an hour or whichever time frame you are playing that you are getting frustrated or fatigued, consider taking a break. It's much like building actual muscle in that sense (albeit not so direct).
- Most importantly play for fun, if you are not enjoying what you are playing, then your focus might decrease :) (exception: sometimes it is wise to train even when it feels like work, this depends on a good mindset however, and should be developed outside of MM)
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer

nightvenom wrote:

MM is pretty good to develop, try to focus in on patterns that you want to perfect. But as others have said, there is a balance here.

- Hockey players have a general rule 80/20, find what you are good at, practice that 80% of the time, find what you need to improve, practice that 20% of the time.
- Playing a lot of one map will improve your MM for that particular set of patterns.
- Ideally, you find other maps like the one you have been practicing, but a little bit harder (also, quite difficult to quantify seeing as there are many params to consider).
- Playing a variety of maps will improve your overall ability to read-in patterns (subjective).
- Memory techniques usually also rely on being well rested, always keep that in mind, if you notice after an hour or whichever time frame you are playing that you are getting frustrated or fatigued, consider taking a break. It's much like building actual muscle in that sense (albeit not so direct).
- Most importantly play for fun, if you are not enjoying what you are playing, then your focus might decrease :) (exception: sometimes it is wise to train even when it feels like work, this depends on a good mindset however, and should be developed outside of MM)
Didn't knew that rule about hockey players. Make a lot of sense to me. I'll check If it works for me. I'm not that focused on what I'm good at because it's low ar and long streams. I'm more in a 1/99 position, If the 80/20 work will be noticeable really fast for me i guess, so i let you know.
Aegyo
Don't use muscle memory use common sense.
JvstDanny
Don't use muscle memory. It will eventually mess you up in the long run, unless you actively train across a variety of maps (with different variations of said pattern[s]). This is because sure you'll be great at that specific map but when it comes to maybe the same jump pattern in reverse, you've only trained yourself to do it one particular way.

You'd be a lot better off if you learn to get better at anticipating where the next circle/slider may be and getting better at reading overall; plus if you do train on a variety of maps, it's a much safer option rather than getting good at one particular map
N0thingSpecial

Ryouku wrote:

Don't use muscle memory. It will eventually mess you up in the long run, unless you actively train across a variety of maps (with different variations of said pattern[s]). This is because sure you'll be great at that specific map but when it comes to maybe the same jump pattern in reverse, you've only trained yourself to do it one particular way.

You'd be a lot better off if you learn to get better at anticipating where the next circle/slider may be and getting better at reading overall; plus if you do train on a variety of maps, it's a much safer option rather than getting good at one particular map
No
Vuelo Eluko

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Ryouku wrote:

No
well, yes actually
i've seen a lot of top players have poor versatility and are strangely a lot worse at some variations of patterns, like one may be very good at clockwise squares but they can't do counterclockwise nearly as well for example. Variety is important to limit this effect.
N0thingSpecial
I’m not against you on the variety part, but developing muscle memory really enables you to be consistent in general, that of course requires you to play as much variety of maps as possible. The whole concept of mapping is to fit in patterns that are “different” than the rest of the map to emphasise that certain part of the song, there are patterns you can’t anticipate, if you ever want to sight read or FC in a few tries you’re guaranteed to use muscle memory.
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer

Ryouku wrote:

I'm not talking about learn a map. I talk about my hand follow my reading instead move my hand ON PURPOUSE to the circles i'm reading.
About the variety: SS 171 S1234 A1340
pandaBee
Everyone develops muscle memory by default. You can't play osu past 50 pp without it. The game basically consists of reading the map/listening to the rhythm + mechanics (aiming, tapping)

Your mechanics are developed through training your muscles to repeat various repetitive patterns of motion and pressing, i.e. muscle memory.

From wikipedia:

Muscle memory has been used synonymously with motor learning, which is a form of procedural memory that involves consolidating a specific motor task into memory through repetition. When a movement is repeated over time, a long-term muscle memory is created for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed without conscious effort. This process decreases the need for attention and creates maximum efficiency within the motor and memory systems. Examples of muscle memory are found in many everyday activities that become automatic and improve with practice, such as riding a bicycle, typing on a keyboard, typing in a PIN, playing a musical instrument,[1] poker[2] martial arts or even dancing.
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer
My question was if i should resort to muscle memory while playing , or it's better to move my hand to aim on purpouse foricing my cursor to be exactly where i want it to be. Talking about improvment. It's better to move hand on purpouse?
My bad don't asking well.
I know i'm using muscle memory even when i pull it out to pee. There is no question about that.
pandaBee

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

My question was if i should resort to muscle memory while playing , or it's better to move my hand to aim on purpouse foricing my cursor to be exactly where i want it to be. Talking about improvment. It's better to move hand on purpouse?
My bad don't asking well.
I know i'm using muscle memory even when i pull it out to pee. There is no question about that.
You practice with purpose to build the motor patterns to incorporate the movements into your muscle memory.

By practicing with the intent to aim cleaner, smoothers and more accurate you will improve.