forum

"disjointed streams"?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Linck5
Like this:

In my noob journey through the world of 4* maps, I'm seeing more and more circles like this, it's like a stream but the circles are far apart.

Is there a name for this pattern?

I was curious to know how you guys do them. Do you snap to each circle, or you do one fluid motion clicking as the pointer passes through each note? Second option feels easier to do but also easier to miss. Must be exactly in the right rhythm for it to not miss. Sometimes I do it and I can't even tell right away if I missed or not.

Not that it's a big issue or anything, just curious.
Sandy Hoey
spaced streams
E m i
wtf is that stream?
Either way it depends on the bpm but snapping in a LINEAR/flow pattern just complicates everything, trust me.
The only way in which i make those patterns easier is choosing a different tapping method.

Usually I do streams by just moving my fingers (as in no wrist movement), not releasing the "current/previous" key until i have already pressed the next one. I let my fingers pull on each other, it's hard to SKIP a keypress, and the stream overall becomes pretty much just one constant movement.

But with patterns like that, depending on how long and how fast they are (because sometimes it's just too fast to make every keypress separate) i use my wrist to make fully separate alternating movements, releasing the "current/previous" key before the next one is pressed.

The point isn't really that it lets me make some keypress earlier or later, though that's an added bonus as well.

The main point is that that stream doesn't become two separate constant movements that you have to coordinate together based on feel.
Only aim remains a constant movement, and each circle/keypress becomes almost a separate decision that you can make based on where you feel that your cursor is.

This is pretty much the reason why alternating is hard for people, let's take 280bpm jumps for example... People usually try to do a streaming movement and then they're like wtf why is this so impossible?

But when they learn to use more separate movements and every keypress is pretty much a distinct decision, it gets a lot easier.
Kyrari
If that's a 4* map, I really don't think that'd be a stream.

A disjointed stream would look like https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/9596518
While your example would be something like https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/9596526

When each notes has a gap between them then you'd probably have enough time to snap between each note and singletap them assuming the bpm isn't that high, doing a fluid movement would be harder to not miss tbh.

Even if you're an alternate player you'd probably singletap them (alternate like singletapping, what momiji said above about separating alternating movements).

wonder if i misread what momiji said lul
-Makishima S-
This is single tap section. You are just not experienced enough to actually play it properly.
E m i

VanillaSandvich wrote:

Even if you're an alternate player you'd probably singletap them (alternate like singletapping, what momiji said above about separating alternating movements).

i assumed it to be some sort of weird 8 star 170bpm ultra spaced stream lol
and yeah wrist alting, i wish someone told me how to alt in 2014 or 2015 because i was trying to alt with the streaming motion >.>
Yolshka

Momiji wrote:

VanillaSandvich wrote:

and yeah wrist alting, i wish someone told me how to alt in 2014 or 2015 because i was trying to alt with the streaming motion >.>
But that's the purest form of alternating, it's beautiful.
At least that's how i alt in every single map that I do end up alternating.
That is not the common way to atlernate nowdays i guess or ever, i was also confused, couldn't really grasp the difference.
What people call proper alternating is very similiar to singletapping with 2 fingers.
Which i guess is different than a streaming motion.
That's kinda lame tbh.

It definitely helps to clear up the confusion if you have a competent alternating friend who's willing to record the way he plays.

Correct me if i'm wrong but as far as I know Silvia played like that, and was probably the only notable person who did that, and also the only one i know of.
And he's pretty good i guess.

That particular pattern looks somewhat hitable if it's low bpm, but at that point maybe we should consider singletapping it.
Regardless if it is actually a stream or something close to it, it'll probably play out much different from the rest of the map, so i guess it depends on whether or not can you read this kind of shift.
But if you can than you can probably get away with either form of tapping.

I don't know the map though.
Akanagi
Looks just like spaced singletaps to me.

It looked the same for me when I first played maps like vals "Dance Number", Kokou no Sousei, dadadada, Worldwide choppers or that weird HP10 Touhou map. The Creator, too.
Just singletap it and don't try to "flow" them. I think it's possible but for me took way too long to learn opposed to just looking at each note individually, and only have the next one in my field of vision.

Trying to alternate those spaced patterns usually ends in 100s for me and just feels slippery compared to singletapping.

maps mentioned:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/3847
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/28705
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/29691
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/137377
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/206750
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/41242

Imo those things are more common in older maps. Some of the DJpop maps definitely.
Mio Winter

Linck5 wrote:

Like this:

In my noob journey through the world of 4* maps, I'm seeing more and more circles like this, it's like a stream but the circles are far apart.

Is there a name for this pattern?

I was curious to know how you guys do them. Do you snap to each circle, or you do one fluid motion clicking as the pointer passes through each note? Second option feels easier to do but also easier to miss. Must be exactly in the right rhythm for it to not miss. Sometimes I do it and I can't even tell right away if I missed or not.

I usually call jumps that are separated by a quarter of a beat "streams", and jumps that are separated by half a beat ... well, "jumps". But there are also some patterns I call "quarterbeat jumps" if they go back and forth or have small enough angles. I guess "streams" are quarterbeat jumps that are arranged in flowy patterns (circle, arc, line, whatever). If the circles are very much on top of each other, and you don't have to move the cursor much, I call that a "stack".

When each jump in the stream is far apart, that's called a "spaced stream". Here's an extreme example.

When sections of a stream are separated in space without being separated in time, those are called "cut-streams". Example.
Mio Winter

Yolshka wrote:

Momiji wrote:

That is not the common way to atlernate nowdays i guess or ever, i was also confused, couldn't really grasp the difference.
What people call proper alternating is very similiar to singletapping with 2 fingers.
That's kinda lame tbh.

It definitely helps to clear up the confusion if you have a competent alternating friend who's willing to record the way he plays.

Correct me if i'm wrong but as far as I know Silvia played like that, and was probably the only notable person who did that, and also the only one i know of.
And he's pretty good i guess.
Let me see if I understand. There are two forms of alternating. One which involves resting the opposite finger on the key until the other is pressed, and the other involves pulling back the finger before the other is pressed. In the latter version, you're hovering both fingers over the keys and telling each finger in turn to quickly press down and pull back up. In the former version, no two fingers are hovering above the keys at the same time. Let's call the latter version "hover-alternating" or something.

I've been trying to learn no-hover alternating since I started alternating, because I thought (and think) it's better (because [complicated reasons]) even if it's harder to learn to acc with it (it's harder to slam down hard when you're resting the other finger on a key). Why do you think hover-alternating is better? (Asking anyone who can answer.)
Endaris

Yolshka wrote:

Momiji wrote:

VanillaSandvich wrote:

That's kinda lame tbh.

It definitely helps to clear up the confusion if you have a competent alternating friend who's willing to record the way he plays..

Omg, are you talking about me?! *blush* :oops:
I admire your control and I wish I had learned alternating like you did. I really think that it is very possible to play like that and has numerous advantages over the lazy alternating that is commonly used. Because it is really just that: lazy.
Mio Winter

Yolshka wrote:

By the way, might be relevant or not, I asked Bubbleman some things about alternating a while ago, and he said he hovers both fingers over the keys (I assume that's what you mean is similar to single-tapping with 2 fingers).
E m i
Better because
1. you can press the keys harder (uhhhhh this is a benefit to me definitely, but probably not to that many people. helps me with reading)
2. fingers are not pulling on each other (so you get an acc bonus, really no matter how good you are sub-140bpm streams they will still always have that additional factor attached to them)
3. fingers are not pulling on each other (so when the map skips a beat, or changes to 1/3, or your aim is delayed for some reason, you can delay the tapping instead of having to do the "i stopped streaming" pause. doing that pause properly can be hard)
4. each keypress is more disconnected from the previous one even MENTALLY, which makes coordinating your tapping with aim easier, same with reading.

I switch to the streaming-like alting at like 330+ bpm which does the job in terms of uhh everything.
Topic Starter
Linck5

Mio Winter wrote:

When each jump in the stream is far apart, that's called a "spaced stream". Here's an extreme example.
Yes it's exactly this one I was talking about. Though at my level they're much slower. I can see in the video he does like I said, move in one single motion, clicking the circles as the cursor passes by. It doesn't look humanly possible to snap to each note haha

I should disclaim that I don't even have 50h of gameplay, I'm just starting to be able to clear SOME low 4* maps, but far from being comfortable with them. But it's cool to read how you guys do those kinds of things. I always fully alternated from the start, but as Momiji and Vanilla mentioned, I would probably hover-alternate or single-tap-alternate. But I don't know about you guys, but I don't have "two modes" of clicking, hovering and not hovering. It's more like a spectrum which depends on the speed I have to click. I also don't do much wrist movement, I move mostly my fingers and let my wrist always resting on the table.
Kondou-Shinichi
if your looking for disjointed, try sanae-san
ManuelOsuPlayer

Linck5 wrote:

For me it depends the previous patterns, the speed, the ar and the rhythm.
If it's slow, i singletap it reading each circle. If it's an AR what i can't read fast enought each circle i click to the rhythm and aim doing a motion or if the song tell me it's a stream i aim the pattern like a stream.
Tapping by the music could also be a 8 notes stream where the mapper chose to add only 4 of them, so you tap a 8 notes stream adding circles in your head and you don't miss by overtap it If you do it accurately. It's what i do to a lot of spaced or jump streams If the rhythm or song isn't telling me to do other thing or it's a music break.
The game don't give you a miss if you overtap when there isn't a circle to click in that timming, so you can use it to keep rhythm and timming at slow songs, warm up or just have fun at undermapped beatmaps.

The most efficient way for me to do it it's reading each circle even if i do a motion aiming. I follow rhythm aiming, so i could snipe each circle that pattern at a map with a song and next map have a copy paste from that pattern, but i flow instead in 1 motion becauase it's what this new song beats tell me to do.