forum

PP Farming

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Linck5
Reading this forum I noticed that there are such things as "farming PP" and "PP farming maps".

I don't know how these maps look like, Could I have come across some of them but haven't noticed?

Also, why people would want to PP? Is it just because it boosts their ego or does PP have some utility?

I always though of PP as a number that should tell your skill level. Though apparently it's not that good of a measure if you can "farm" it in some way.
Yolshka
No one cares about pp anymore.
At least not in the active community, which is very small, and quite frankly you are probably not part of.
I say active, but I I suppose that's not the right word, I don't know what else to use though.
Competent?
Or at least people who have decided that they are going to be the shit, and can figure out how to move forward.
Regardless I'm pretty sure the pp kids are the minority, the whole "farming is bad" is just a circle jerk.

But generally spanking, intellectuals do agree that PP numbers do have a use, and they do show some form of skill, albeit doing it quite imperfectly.
Extreme differences in skill level between two individuals who have extremist viewpoints regarding pp are there sure, but otherwise very rare.
Zedek117
PP has no use its just an indicator of skill. Maybe. Farm maps are maps that are in a specific style. They're usually shorter than 90 seconds and feature a lot of jumps in a star pattern or have high bpm streams. Or both.

I like farming PP because it gives me a specific goal and a metric of my improvement at the game. Maybe once you hit a certain point it really just becomes a meaningless number but I am not there yet.

If you want to know what farm maps to play you can do it the old fashioned way and check out the top plays of people around my rank or use Tillerino
Skidayo
https://grumd.github.io/osu-pps/

here's pp farming map

people farm pp to get higher rank and think getting higher rank makes them better
Topic Starter
Linck5
Hmm I see, I played 3 maps from this osu-pps. They look like they're usually more short like Zedek117 said and have more straight forward patterns? Like they don't have things that confuses you or take you by surprise. Not 100% like that though.

But the ones I played were pretty legit and fun maps to play. I usually enjoy maps that are more chill and easy for my level. Currently I'm mostly playing maps below 3.5*
Akanagi
I don't think you can really avoid to not have "pp" maps in your top plays unless you really don't play them on purpose, simply to their nature.
They're usually worth way more than they should be, due to easy jump patterns und simple rhythm +OD8-9.

Farming them all day every day and retrying like crazy is silly, but so is trying to never play them at all. Just "farm" / play them every once in a while to get your pp fix, but don't tryhard them / retry them too often.
RaneFire

Linck5 wrote:

Reading this forum I noticed that there are such things as "farming PP" and "PP farming maps".

I don't know how these maps look like, Could I have come across some of them but haven't noticed?
Short maps generally, with mostly fast jumps and simple streams. The less complex the better. Usually DT'able to make them shorter and thus a better use of time.

Obviously PP farming requires being selective of maps. But just like any strategy for reaching a goal (rank, league, etc.) in a game, it makes sense to pick the method that requires the least effort and is the best use of time. And these maps fit that criteria.

Linck5 wrote:

Also, why people would want to PP? Is it just because it boosts their ego or does PP have some utility?
It's because they play for rank. The same thing happened with the two previous systems (score and PPv1) - which is long in the past. There were score farmers, and PPv1 farmers. After all, ranking up seems to be the goal of playing the game. Regardless, you improve your skills by playing anyway.

Linck5 wrote:

I always though of PP as a number that should tell your skill level. Though apparently it's not that good of a measure if you can "farm" it in some way.
Well, skill is actually not the subject of attention and that's why it's called Performance Points, not Skill Points. This debate happened right at the start of its implementation and it's mostly settled in everyone's minds now. To confirm, yes, you thought of PP the wrong way. But don't worry, it's still a pretty decent indication of skill, even if it's not accurate.

Play however you want to, it's cool.