forum

Career Mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,866
show more
Adri
My point of view is that a player should be able to play only the mode(s) he likes without beeing forced into playing a mode he doesn't like. But he should still be provided with a sense of pride and accomplishement for unlocking things in every gamemodes, like achievements, progression bars, warm messages ... STATS
Hydro7
I approve of this massively.
ShortGilga
It would be a great idea for people who are new to osu!
Topic Starter
Psychologist
Just want to make a quick update on this, because I feel this is extremely important for osu! I decided to just start working on it myself.

I'm not a veteran mapper by any means but I've been messing around with it over the past year and think I've got most of the concepts down at the most basic level at least. By no means will my work be a finished product but by laying the groundwork and establishing an outline for the progression of a career I'm hoping it'll push more experienced mappers to contribute to my work in whatever way they feel like. Expecting someone else to take up the whole project from the get-go was unrealistic since there's so much more than just mapping songs involved, but having a draft in place where mappers can submit their own replacement maps or just suggest changes will probably spark more enthusiasm in the project.

Since it's intended for this to be bundled with the game in the future, all maps are of songs in the featured artist section for legal reasons, and all artwork for backgrounds/storyboards will have to be either original or official artwork from the artist of the song. This project is something everyone can contribute to. It won't just needs maps, it'll need original artwork and storyboards, full original skins (since customization is a big part of osu I plan for the first iteration to award skins at various stages along the career as both a reward and incentive, as well as an introduction to customization - I don't know if this is something that could/would be implemented if this ever got integrated into the client, that's going to have to be discussed) and A LOT of play testing from players of all skill levels.

With that in mind, once the project is a little further along I'll post it in the beatmap projects section and invite everyone to contribute, so keep an eye out for that.
[ Scarlet Red ]
I like this idea. I feel like if this were created for every gamemode equally osu! would be less about specifically standard since it'd give a nice opening to all gamemodes through the career mode! STAR
Topic Starter
Psychologist

[ Scarlet Red ] wrote:

I like this idea. I feel like if this were created for every gamemode equally osu! would be less about specifically standard since it'd give a nice opening to all gamemodes through the career mode! STAR
Agreed, unfortunately I know nothing about mapping for other game modes so it'll be up to someone else to get the ball rolling there
NightNarumi
I like this idea a lot actually, but I am a bit skeptical about the whole manner of selecting/making maps for this career mode so it will fit the likings of everyone.
Like a map with a certain song genre that can be potentially detestable for one person to the point that said person loses his motivation for playing said map for progress (yea srry, I am not the best in explaining things)
Topic Starter
Psychologist

NightNarumi wrote:

I like this idea a lot actually, but I am a bit skeptical about the whole manner of selecting/making maps for this career mode so it will fit the likings of everyone.
Like a map with a certain song genre that can be potentially detestable for one person to the point that said person loses his motivation for playing said map for progress (yea srry, I am not the best in explaining things)
That's understandable, but I don't think it's a reason not to try. It's never going to suit everyone, But at least it might suit the majority.

Luckily the song selection is limited since all the music has to be from the featured artists, and I'm trying to choose a diverse range of music as I progress with it. We'll see, I guess
NightNarumi
I just randomly got this idea:
Why dont we just link career mode with the level system and prevent converts of giving xp?
That way, we can solve the problem of career mode of having to play specific songs and we get an use for the current level system
(Although I dont know what will happen with the current players)
You can give the mascots a small storyline till, lets say, lv 20 or 30 for each mode
iYiyo
Definitely agree. This could make osu! a more solid game, by encouraging new players and introducing them correctly to the game.
PandaLive
Interesting idea..... it would be interesting...
Infeh
Gave this my both votes, really brilliant idea.
Zozimoto
would give ztarz
Nimfox
I can second this.
MrKosiej
I really like this idea.

When i first played osu, i honestly didn't know what to do. There was this "tutorial" betmap which i played, but then i still didn't know what was going on xd. And i gave up on the game for a bit. Came back cuz a friend dragged me into this. But an introduction motive, like career mode, sth player can learn the game from would be great. Even for those who already know the game. It will add a sense of progressing sth other than estimating your skill on just playing more random maps or pp.
cosmic
This idea is really cool, and contests for beat maps to be included in this mode would be really interesting and involve the community a lot imo.
Blankz_
100% support this. Anyone have any idea of the progress on this?
Topic Starter
Psychologist

Blankz_ wrote:

It's going, slowly. I'm on hold for a little bit because I entered UKT Spring so I spend most my time practicing for that, but once that's over I'll be back at it.
It'll take a while, because I'm having to test every little thing since I'm a bit far removed from the new player experience at this point. Finding people that have never played osu! before that are willing to try it takes a bit of time. I've done the first 2 chapters (1-2* and 2-3* range) with 14 maps total, 3rd (3-4*) is in progress, but as I said I'm not working on it much while I practice for UKTS.

I haven't released anything so far just because I haven't felt any need to at this stage. Once I pass the 4* range I'll be looking for people already in the community to test from that point onwards, so that's probably when I'll go public with this properly. Before I do that I'll need to put a system in place for modding/contributions that keeps things organised so other mappers can start helping if they want to.

There's a lot to do, but it's getting done, slowly.
xenonius

PsYcHo96 wrote:

Blankz_ wrote:

It's going, slowly. I'm on hold for a little bit because I entered UKT Spring so I spend most my time practicing for that, but once that's over I'll be back at it.
It'll take a while, because I'm having to test every little thing since I'm a bit far removed from the new player experience at this point. Finding people that have never played osu! before that are willing to try it takes a bit of time. I've done the first 2 chapters (1-2* and 2-3* range) with 14 maps total, 3rd (3-4*) is in progress, but as I said I'm not working on it much while I practice for UKTS.

I haven't released anything so far just because I haven't felt any need to at this stage. Once I pass the 4* range I'll be looking for people already in the community to test from that point onwards, so that's probably when I'll go public with this properly. Before I do that I'll need to put a system in place for modding/contributions that keeps things organised so other mappers can start helping if they want to.

There's a lot to do, but it's getting done, slowly.
i've got a bunch of classmates who've seen me play osu but as far as i know have never played. i could also test and help if i need to, since i considered myself a new player up until about half a year ago.

i'm willing to go outside and ask people in the library to test this just for this to happen.
Topic Starter
Psychologist

xenonius wrote:

i've got a bunch of classmates who've seen me play osu but as far as i know have never played. i could also test and help if i need to, since i considered myself a new player up until about half a year ago.

i'm willing to go outside and ask people in the library to test this just for this to happen.
For the public 'reveal' I'll be setting up forms for playtesting and feedback, from that point onwards we can't have too many people, new and old, running through it and giving their opinion. So this will be 100% appreciated. Right now, however, I don't have any system in place to make 3rd party testing useful. I'm just spectating my friends playing the maps to get an idea of how the difficulty curve needs to change and what things are frequently tripping people up. So yeah, keep an eye out. I'll be trying to make it as easy as possible for anyone to give it to a friend along with a link where they can submit feedback, be that a 'professional' opinion from other mappers or just a 'I got stuck on this song, it's too hard' from complete noobs :D
[-Akira-]
+1