forum

Fingers locking for unknown reason

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Viggma
So ive used my middle finger to click since i started playing osu like a year and a half ago, and an issue thats only gotten worse is my fingers locking, but the weird bit is that it only occurs when im entering a stream or burst when singletapping with my middle finger, if i use my index this does not occur, but i cant use my index due to me not being used to it. And my alternating skill isnt quite up to the point where i can do any bpm above 180 ( with streams ). Im not sure if this is an issue with my hand, a mental thing or what, but what bothers me is the fact that it only occurs with my middle finger.

PS: no amount of warmup for any BPM helps, i did a test 3 times with 30 minutes of 150-160-170-180-190-200, each ( so 3 hours total )
zeplic
Eat, be healthy, sleep. Muscles grow while you rest after you kick their ass to the point they stop behaving- which is basically finger lock.

But sometimes confused for bad muscle memory from trying to farm a map too hard. - Just move on to a new map. You'll need more time than you'll be happy with to break bad muscle memory habits if youve already falllen to them.

But I'm willing to bet on my first line for the best advice on finger locking, as i've been on both ends of the spectrum. You will never become the best player you want to be if you are unhealthy. - this applies to basically any competitive game. A lesson i've personally ignored in every game i've ever played.

I recognize our rank difference, which is why i don't give game advice. Just experience from being a high performer in others.
I've learned to understand "never giving up" means understanding your limits and how long you want to be able to rest before pushing those again. Pragmatically, you obviously want short rests in-between pushing limitations, but it's all about understanding your own self sometimes more than looking too far into the game itself.
Topic Starter
Viggma
I have a pretty good sleep schedule and things of that sort, but I can day for certain that it isn't muscle memory, I dont ever play the same map more than 3 times over again, and will very often swap maps after just one play through on them.
zeplic

Viggma wrote:

I have a pretty good sleep schedule and things of that sort, but I can day for certain that it isn't muscle memory, I dont ever play the same map more than 3 times over again, and will very often swap maps after just one play through on them.

I editted my post a few times to try and clarify my initial point. Just pointing that out incase you missed it. But I highly recommend simply doing a different -physical- activity for a short time if you want a shorter-term solution to finger locking in the moment. Take a 20 minute walk outside or something. Seriously, it sounds cheesy as hell but I guarantee it will help.
Wishes
I had similar issues with the middle finger so I switched to index + ring finger instead. After the switch I find that fingers locking doesn't happen anymore however stamina and streaming speed decreased a little, obviously this can be trained though. Maybe you can give it a try.
Zedek117
Sounds like fatigue from not having enough stamina. High BPM Streams/Bursts are killer. You just have to play more and work your way up and develop and improve your stamina.
Risa
Ever tried taking at a break from this game? One that is at least 1 week
Hayoki
I have the same issue, but for me this only happens when my fingers are cold
Ninonuko
You might be afraid of losing accuracy or even failed the song resulting in rushing the notes in stream or hesitate from tapping.
It's so easy to be happened on stream map or tap heavy map, especially when you change your main finger.
Try using nf so you can focus, nothing to be afraid of.
Topic Starter
Viggma
I took a 3 day break a week or so before posting this