forum

A few problems I'm noticing about myself.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bphantom
Hello everyone.

Now, these kind of thread aren't anything new, so I'm quite sure a few people will get annoyed by seeing another of these, but i still thought i'd take the chance and ask the community.
I took a break from playing Osu for maybe 3-4 Months (maybe more, not sure). Now that i've started playing again i'm noticing a few weird "tendencies" i have and straight out problems i have.

Alternating

Ever since i started playing osu with mouse+keyboard i've been an alternatore. I remember back then reading forum threads about pros and cons, and ultimately (while harder to master), it seemed that alternating was the way to go.
However, what i've been noticing about myself is that whenever i play a "fast" map or a "fast" part comes up in a map, especially when jumping, i automatically start single tapping. This just struck me as weird considering i've never really single tapped before, and one of the many pros of alternating is that you should be able to play faster maps (technically speaking). Am i doing something wrong? Am i just not cut out to alternate? Or maybe i should play fast maps and force myself to alternate?

Streaming

I'm just really bad at streaming. Sometimes i play maps that are 5.9* and FC the jumps, but as soon as a stream comes up (basically everything that's more than a triplet), i usually straight out miss. I have absolutely no idea why.
Looking around it seems like streaming is one of the things most players have a hard time with, and it's one of the things you just need to practice at.
I've been doing that for the past few days. (No signs of improvment yet, but i know it takes time).
Basically i just wanted to ask how i am supposed to practice streams. Do i just play the same bpm stream map over and over again? Do i play various bpm over and over again? Do i play burst or stamina stream maps?
What i've been doing for the past few days is playing this map:
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1323044&m=0

I've been playing the 3 low diffs, namely 150 bpm, 155 bpm and 160 bpm. When i started playing osu i would play each map twice, and before i went off i would play each map twice again. Is this fine or should i widen my range of bpm? Should i play them more?

Tl:dr

I'm an alternatore, but when playing fast maps i start single tapping for some weird reason.

I can't stream, i know it's something you're supposed to practice, but i'd like some "help" or push into the right direction as to how i should practice it.

Sorry for the unformatted wall of text

Thanks.
autoteleology
Singletapping occurs when you run out of mental fortitude to alternate, because singletapping is simpler. I don't recommend maining any tapping style as all of them have uses they are more optimal than any other style. You should be able to singletap, full alternate, and hybrid alternate. Experience makes it easier to tell when certain styles are appropriate or optimal for a map or not.

Proper streaming consists of multiple skills - making sure you time the initial circle correctly, as it affects all subsequent circles; understanding the BPM of the stream and being able to input it accuractely and consistently; proper timing in the flow of aim; knowing exactly where you are during the stream in position of the rhythm and your hand. All of these skills are necessary to stream correctly, making it one of the most complex and difficult skills in the game. A mastery of all fundamental basics are required.
Topic Starter
Bphantom

Emersyne wrote:

Singletapping occurs when you run out of mental fortitude to alternate, because singletapping is simpler. I don't recommend maining any tapping style as all of them have uses they are more optimal than any other style. You should be able to singletap, full alternate, and hybrid alternate. Experience makes it easier to tell when certain styles are appropriate or optimal for a map or not.

Proper streaming consists of multiple skills - making sure you time the initial circle correctly, as it affects all subsequent circles; understanding the BPM of the stream and being able to input it accuractely and consistently; proper timing in the flow of aim; knowing exactly where you are during the stream in position of the rhythm and your hand. All of these skills are necessary to stream correctly, making it one of the most complex and difficult skills in the game. A mastery of all fundamental basics are required.

I understand that every type of tapping have their use, but in this case shouldn't it be exactly the opposite? Usually you'd single tap slower parts since it's easier to acc, and alternate the faster parts. For me it's the other way around. I alternate the easy parts i'm comfortable with and start single tapping fast jumps. Thinking about that it really sounds like i run out of mental fortitude considering i alternate with speeds i'm comfortable with. Considering that wouldn't it be a good idea to force myself to alternate fast maps (maybe with nofail)?

When you tell someone you're having a hard time at streaming they usually just say to play more stream practice maps, but it honestly doesn't sound like just spamming them would really help. What's your suggestion? Just play stream practice maps and consciously concentrate on the things you've mentioned?
autoteleology

Bphantom wrote:

I understand that every type of tapping have their use, but in this case shouldn't it be exactly the opposite? Usually you'd single tap slower parts since it's easier to acc, and alternate the faster parts. For me it's the other way around. I alternate the easy parts i'm comfortable with and start single tapping fast jumps. Thinking about that it really sounds like i run out of mental fortitude considering i alternate with speeds i'm comfortable with. Considering that wouldn't it be a good idea to force myself to alternate fast maps (maybe with nofail)?
You start singletapping when you're right on the edge of losing control and have zero time for forethought, not necessarily due to it being faster or slower.

Try playing techmaps like Camellia - Routing on Hyper w/ DT, or the Target Test map from SSBM.

Bphantom wrote:

When you tell someone you're having a hard time at streaming they usually just say to play more stream practice maps, but it honestly doesn't sound like just spamming them would really help. What's your suggestion? Just play stream practice maps and consciously concentrate on the things you've mentioned?
You need to figure out what component you're missing out of what I've listed before you can work on improving your problem. There's lots of things that you can do wrong individually and lose streaming ability even if you can do the rest of them adequately.
Topic Starter
Bphantom

Emersyne wrote:

You start singletapping when you're right on the edge of losing control and have zero time for forethought, not necessarily due to it being faster or slower.

Try playing techmaps like Camellia - Routing on Hyper w/ DT, or the Target Test map from SSBM.
So basically it's just due to lack of experience/play time?
I will give the 2 beatmaps you mentioned a try.

Emersyne wrote:

You need to figure out what component you're missing out of what I've listed before you can work on improving your problem. There's lots of things that you can do wrong individually and lose streaming ability even if you can do the rest of them adequately.
Honestly i feel like it's pretty much everything for me, except hitting the first circle probably. I will play some streamy maps and see if i can "realize" whether or not i'm obviously missing one of these elements.

Thanks for the help.
zeplic
Rotate keyboard at a slight angle to equalize the distance your fingers travel while alternating.

Unless your middle finger is the same length as your index , if you keep your keyboard completely straight one of your fingers will be traveling further distance than the other.
Topic Starter
Bphantom

zeplic wrote:

Rotate keyboard at a slight angle to equalize the distance your fingers travel while alternating.

Unless your middle finger is the same length as your index , if you keep your keyboard completely straight one of your fingers will be traveling further distance than the other.
Is that actually a thing? I mean, now that you mention it, it sounds obvious, but does it actually help to alternate/stream?

My tablet is infront of my keyboard, so i'd have to position it somewhere else and get used to that in order to rotate the keyboard, but if it helps i'd definitely try it out.
zeplic
I recently saw a video of Rafis playing where he's literally setup entirely diagonally , monitor, tablet, and keyboard, lol. Im just a random player- but ive found myself to have more stamina with my keyboard angled as i strain my middle finger less when i have to alternate for streams or triples.

despite account age i only started back i april, and i basically learned how to play during happy sticks osu improvement month, and one of the players mentioned tilting the keyboard in their interview.. so i just kind of always did it that way. Pretty good timing to get into the game in my opinion.
N0thingSpecial
Alternating are for sinners.
zeplic

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Alternating are for sinners.
sin me daddy
N0thingSpecial

zeplic wrote:

sin me daddy
owo
My Angel Jeremy
single tap everything is the way to go
Have trouble alternateing?Single tap
Having trouble single tapping fast enough?Single tap
Skeletroll
Play high bpm (220+) maps with complex rhythms and weird patterns to learn finger control. TL learns streams first figure out if you are misaiming or if you aren't hitting the keyboard correctly. If it's an aim problem, focus on hitting the first note and then following through the stream, if it's a keyboard problem then the finger control practice will help.